Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2006 6:24:37 AM EDT
Freddy Fender has incurable cancer
Associated Press

Chris Pizzello, Associated Press file
Freddy Fender in Los Angeles, Feb. 4, 1999.
On the Web | Freddy Fender albums
On the Web | Freddy Fender's Web site
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Musician Freddy Fender has incurable cancer, discovered after tumors were found on his lungs, and his wife said they are "hoping for a miracle."

"I feel very comfortable in my life," Fender told the Corpus Christi Caller-Times for a story published Wednesday. "I'm one year away from 70 and I've had a good run. I really believe I'm OK. In my mind and in my heart, I feel OK. I cannot complain that I haven't lived long enough, but I'd like to live longer."

Fender started his career in the late 1950s and hit the charts with "Before The Next Teardrop Falls," "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights" and "You'll Lose A Good Thing." He has won three Grammy Awards, the most recent in 2002.

He was to have surgery in early January to remove the upper left lobe of his lung because of a fungal infection, but surgeons found two large tumors and left the lobe intact.

Fender underwent chemotherapy in late January but stopped because of its side effects. A scan later found nine more tumors.

He was resting at his home in Corpus Christi, said Vangie Huerta, his wife and manager, adding that she did not ask doctors to estimate how long he might live.

Fender, who has canceled all performances, has decided to resume chemotherapy at a lower dosage.

"We can prolong his life with medication or chemo, but it's not a cure," his wife said.

Fender received a kidney from his daughter in 2002 and a liver transplant in 2004. He has had problems with diabetes and hepatitis C
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I grew up listening to Freddy Fender‘s music.  He is one of my favorite country artists.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I was just listening to 1 of his c-d's today. What a bummer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Fender received a kidney from his daughter in 2002 and a liver transplant in 2004. He has had problems with diabetes and hepatitis C

--

"I'm one year away from 70 and I've had a good run. I really believe I'm OK. In my mind and in my heart, I feel OK. I cannot complain that I haven't lived long enough, but I'd like to live longer."
Well, DUH, but it would appear that someone or something is trying to tell you that IT'S OVER!
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Freddy Fender has incurable cancer
Associated Press

Chris Pizzello, Associated Press file
Freddy Fender in Los Angeles, Feb. 4, 1999.
On the Web | Freddy Fender albums
On the Web | Freddy Fender's Web site
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Musician Freddy Fender has incurable cancer, discovered after tumors were found on his lungs, and his wife said they are "hoping for a miracle."

"I feel very comfortable in my life," Fender told the Corpus Christi Caller-Times for a story published Wednesday. "I'm one year away from 70 and I've had a good run. I really believe I'm OK. In my mind and in my heart, I feel OK. I cannot complain that I haven't lived long enough, but I'd like to live longer."

Fender started his career in the late 1950s and hit the charts with "Before The Next Teardrop Falls," "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights" and "You'll Lose A Good Thing." He has won three Grammy Awards, the most recent in 2002.

He was to have surgery in early January to remove the upper left lobe of his lung because of a fungal infection, but surgeons found two large tumors and left the lobe intact.

Fender underwent chemotherapy in late January but stopped because of its side effects. A scan later found nine more tumors.

He was resting at his home in Corpus Christi, said Vangie Huerta, his wife and manager, adding that she did not ask doctors to estimate how long he might live.

Fender, who has canceled all performances, has decided to resume chemotherapy at a lower dosage.

"We can prolong his life with medication or chemo, but it's not a cure," his wife said.

Sorry to say it, but with the problems mentioned, i would not doubt that he has HIV (AIDS) .
Strange fungal infections, rare cancers, and obviously hep c meaning he had shared a few needles. Highly suspicious for HIV.

But even if its plain old lung Cancer it looks like he may already have done everything in his power to destroy his body on his own. Sux for him and his fans.
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Wasted days and wasted nights....  
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that kinda sucks, FF is rock-n-roll!

Anyone ver hear him with the Texas Tornados?

MAXIMUM !!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
When I first read it I was thinking, WTF? 'The guy from nightmare on elm street has cancer"?

Oops, wrong Freddy. BSW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top