Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2001 4:12:54 PM EDT
ugh...

My friends keep comming over... trying to get me out of the house and all that shit, buy me a beer... have a good time.

Really... I am the kind that this will make me even more depressed. How can I go out and enjoy myself when I don't have a fucking job, and to make it worse I don't have jobs that I can apply for to get a fucking job since the Tech world took a huge dump? How can I enjoy myself when all I can think about is selling everything I own, haveing my new truck repossesed by the bank and working at McDonalds?

Seeing people laughing and have a good time is likely to either A: Push me over the edge, which I am on right now.

Or B: Make me burst into tears in front of everyone like a damn wacko.

How do I get this point across to my friends that the last thing I need is to be taken out and "shown a good time"???

I told them this 5 minutes ago before they left...

I can have a good time when it's not the end of the world. Sure On the rare occasion I can go outside and maybe even smile in front of everyone else if I know eveything in my life is in line and set straight, like having a job to support myself.

Ugh... they are comming back at 7, I'm gonna leave at 6:45... maybe I can just drive around for awhile. Maybe I'll get lucky and get plowed into by a drunk driver that happens to be rich and driving a Ford Excursion or somehing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Criminy Frank!

Snap out of it!

You're gonna do fine!

Besides, McDonalds ain't that bad.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with Striker, you're lucky to have good friends who are concerned.
You have to keep going and picking yourself up every time you get down.
I am suffering from depression myself so I know what I am talking about. I used to be in the top 1% money earners in the country. I lost everything including my marriage. It took time but I battled back and I am doing OK.
The thing is I had to do it on my own as I didn't have the kind of friends who were there for me so you are one up.
Keep trying.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]
"Always look on the bright side of life..."
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Frank
 You are showing the signs of "Slum Pucker". This is a condition where your shoulders keep moving closer and closer together. Soon your spine falls out your asshole and you pucker completely up. It can be ugly.
 Set your feelings of despair aside long enough to go out with your friends. While you are out don't mention your situation to anyone you might meet. You are fortunate to have these friends.
 While things seldom turn out best case they also seldom turn out worst case. Someone you meet while you're out may be the connection you need for a job.
 So don't get puckered up too bad. You can handle it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Tell 'em to bring a sixpack and a deck of cards.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Frank, read "If" by Kipling.
Hang in there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys... I have told them thanks and I would rather be alone...

Ok... they listen to top 40 music, watch popular movies, wear clothes you buy out of the mall.

I am sure when they are down a beer and a strip club cheers them up.

I am not like everyone else.

I don't want a beer, I don't want to see naked girls.

Well I was supposed to meet them at 7, it's now 15 minutes past 8.. where was I? I went to Rancho Sako, a closed down nuclear power plant between Stockton and Sacramento CA.

Something just draws me to that place.. I can sit there and look at it all day long. It is just an amazing place... The sun was setting.. and it's in the middle of farm land... very beautiful.

I think I will go back there again with my new camera and take some pics. Although I can't stay there too long because security starts making their way to you once you stop in front of the place.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I've come to the conclusion that Jack Daniels tastes like shit and burns my mouth.

Just thought I'd share.

You'd think for someone that NEVER drinks 4 shots would numb me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes sir Frank,
I can definitely empathize with you.
I too wish I had friends like that.
I wish you all the best.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a few brutally honest observations:

1. Nobody ever thinks that they are like everyone else.

2. It's better to be an employed something than to be an unemployed something else.

3. Humans seek their comfort zone. Stay unemployed waiting for the ideal job will start to become the place you're comfortable in. Get a job doing something you don't hate while looking for a job you love.

4. Moping around and fretting about your misunderstood, tortured soul won't accomplish jack shit. I know, I did it in my youth.

5. If your friends want to take you out, go with them. Just guilt them into paying while you're not working.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to see naked girls!
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Wanna get rid of them? Show up at the door in that delightful little outfit from the teakettle picture. Unless they're "special friends", I guess...
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#15]
The closest thing I have to friends is my dog and Ron Bacardi.

You know what is really pissing me off? Those moronic court shows that are on all day long. judge mathis, judge hackett, judge judy, moral court, divorce court, peoples court. Who in the hell watches that shit? Another thing that is pissing me off to no end are all of those tech school commercials that are on every 10 minutes. There is this one really annoying one where they have they have these people saying "Gee! Look at me! I was driving a cab last year and now I run an entire IT department!" Who in the fuck do they think they are trying to kid? Ya spend $15,000 for 2 semesters, graduate and find out there are NO JOBS available because the companies are out of business. I bet those spots were made a year and a half ago and ALL of those dickheads are all out of a job just like me and frank.

I am so damn mad right now I just want to scream!
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Lucky you have friends like that! Staying at home wont help. Drink the brew go out and smile, the job will come.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The closest thing I have to friends is my dog and Ron Bacardi.

You know what is really pissing me off? Those moronic court shows that are on all day long. judge mathis, judge hackett, judge judy, moral court, divorce court, peoples court. Who in the hell watches that shit? Another thing that is pissing me off to no end are all of those tech school commercials that are on every 10 minutes. There is this one really annoying one where they have they have these people saying "Gee! Look at me! I was driving a cab last year and now I run an entire IT department!" Who in the fuck do they think they are trying to kid? Ya spend $15,000 for 2 semesters, graduate and find out there are NO JOBS available because the companies are out of business. I bet those spots were made a year and a half ago and ALL of those dickheads are all out of a job just like me and frank.

I am so damn mad right now I just want to scream!
View Quote

Pawn the TV, get another quart of Bacardi's and get the pooch a nice doggie toy. You'll feel much better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am not like everyone else.

I don't want a beer, I don't want to see naked girls.

View Quote

Is this really Frank the Spank??????????

OMG..  This boy needs help NOW!

You and Imbroglio should team up and start a web development / graphics company.  You have both shown a tremendous aptitude for this field and could probably get a bunch of work just from the gun community alone..

(I constantly suggest this to Imbroggy but he remains silent)
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Everything I get involved in goes bad.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Everyone needs a little break from their problems once in a while. It’s good that you have friends that can help with that.

You ex-job reminds me of my own. Like yourself, I used to have a job at a technical company that experienced a market downswing. However instead of looking for another job after the axe fell, I decided to try self-employment. In the ensuing 10 years, I’ve managed to make a modest-but-reliable living working for myself, at home. It’s not the kind of work that impresses anyone (a small electronics mail order business and occasional free-lance  technical writing), but it pays the bills — barely! However, the “fringe benefits” are the real reward:

No long commutes in rush hour traffic
Almost no car maintenance or gasoline bills
No boss to answer to (except yourself)
No rules against drinking on the job (an important one!)
No time sheets to fill out
Extremely flexible work hours (a typical work day is from 10:30 AM to 4:30 PM)
No office dress codes or mandatory “costumes” (neckties—yech!)
No office politics
No vacation time to fight over
No rules against carrying a firearm on the job
and, most importantly,
No layoffs!

Maybe RBAD’s on to something here. Does this sound like a “lifestyle” that might fit your interests? An awful lot of “techies” are self-employed. Of course, it usually takes a while before a new venture starts generating income, so living a frugal lifestyle is a big help. With new truck payments to make, perhaps this isn’t the best time to be considering a major drop in income. On the other hand, most folks spend most of their lives attempting to pay off one debt or another — there never seems to be a convenient time to start “living cheaply”...
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 3:50:36 AM EDT
[#22]
R A V E N

Just tell her to leave some clothes on.

Like high heels and a garter belt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 3:56:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Frank, don't be too hard on your friends, they are trying to help as best as they can.

Look around at smaller companies also, sometimes working for a smaller firm you will have more of a sense of family. With the big companies its always the same, BOTTOM LINE. The big guys can never see past next quarter's results.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Good luck!
I would love to have the time off.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Not to seem unsensitive, but quit crying. It could be worse, and it will get better. I have been in the same boat several times, and it always works out. The Lord never gives you more than you can handle, so enjoy your time off and thank your friends for careing. Keep acting like this and they will go away, for good.   fullclip
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#27]
First off, anothergene: YOU DA MAN!

Frank, go out with your friends.  I know it's hard to deal with people of differing political leanings, clothing styles, and pop culture ideologies, but just tough it out.  You just might have fun.

Remember how Tim Roth had such a hard time doing that scene with Chuck Heston in the new Planet of the Apes?  He has kids after all, right?  Well HE worked through it and they got that scene made!

...OK, OK, bad example.

My point is, don't let yourself get too far down (and if you currently are, snap the fuck out of it).  Just because it's easier to sit at home and replay the same "I'm down, I'm down, I'm down" spiel in your mind, DON'T mean it's the right thing to do!

(also, get out of California) - Good Luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top