Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2001 2:42:06 AM EDT
Before I attempt to do some "computer repair" with the Mossberg, I thought maybe someone might know how to make this stupid POS run right.

For the past few months I was using an Emachines and had no problems. Thing was a $500 megamart special, but ran great - no problems whatsoever.  Unfortunately it wasn't mine, so I had to switch back to my old POS Compaq this week (533Mhz, AMD k6, windows 98). Now all of a sudden this thing won't upload pics to excite.com - it starts to, but kills the modem connection before its done...every friggin time.  WTH is going on - Any ideas?

...and if not, what # shot would you recommend and why...or is this a job for slugs?  Maybe a good occasion to try out that bayonet?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:00:48 AM EDT
[#1]
It can be caused by a number of different things.  While possibly hardware related, the far majority of difficulties are from software configurations.  Perhaps we can narrow it down a little...

Compaq/Win98/AMD k6
Problem:  disconnected modem connection to ISP every time an upload is attempted to Excite.

Is there any other times where it disconnects?
Is it a local or national ISP?
Dialup or broadband?  
What browser software/version are you using?
How much RAM memory is on your system?
Which part of Excite are you uploading pictures to?
Has this computer always done this?  If not, when do you think it started?
Any recent software installations? (no matter how small)
Any recent hardware installations?
What model Mossberg?  ;)

I'd say #4 shot...plenty of pellets with good penetration.

- Robbie
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Robbie -

Thanks for the help.  Here's some more info & answers to your questions...

1.This is the only time I've noticed it disconnect.  Start the upload and within 30 seconds, it drops you like a stinky turd.

2.national ISP (AOHell), dial-up, AOHell version 4.0, Internet explorer Version 5.0 (does it with either the AOHell browser or Explorer)

3. 64Megs RAM

4. uploading photos to webshots (http://wsphotofews.excite.com)

5. I don't know if this computer ever was able to upload photos to excite before - actually it didn't have any problems with photopoint, but until now I'd never tried it with the excite service.  I got using excite only a few months ago when using the other computer.  Now I've got an account and some photos on excite, but I can't get any more photos uploaded because I had to switch back to this POS.

6.  No recent hardware or software installations

7. Mossberg 590 Mariner...12 ga. of course.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you know what kind of modem is in the computer?  Stupid as it sounds AO(piece of shit)L can be particular on type.

There are some cheap modems which are "host signal processing" (software driven), which means they use your main processor to run the modem functions. AOPEN is one such turdburger that should be dumped on sight.

AOL might have a problem using this modem correctly.  The reason I know is that a similar problem was happening to me until I upgraded to a 3com modem with onboard processor.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
But you're able to browse, surf, and download email the net otherwise without issue?

Could be the FTP or a custom made program that excite uses it to transfer the files.
View Quote

Yup - it works fine otherwise (except for the fact that the K6 is a POS). Email, downloads, surfing - no problems.  Even uploading photos to photopoint wasn't a problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you know what kind of modem is in the computer?  Stupid as it sounds AO(piece of shit)L can be particular on type.

There are some cheap modems which are "host signal processing" (software driven), which means they use your main processor to run the modem functions. AOPEN is one such turdburger that should be dumped on sight.

AOL might have a problem using this modem correctly.  The reason I know is that a similar problem was happening to me until I upgraded to a 3com modem with onboard processor.
View Quote

I don't have the foggiest idea what kind of modem it is - it came stock on the 'puter.  Is AOPEN a type of modem?  If so, would it have been standard issue on Compaq's?  If its a modem thing, I'm really going to be pissed - the modem came with the computer, and AOHell was pre-installed;  you'd have thought they'd have noticed such glaring problems before puting such a shitty package together.  Of course, the warranty has expired so I'm SOL that way.

PS - Compaq sucks.

PSS - what are your thoughts on buckshot?
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

2.national ISP (AOHell), dial-up, AOHell version 4.0, Internet explorer Version 5.0 (does it with either the AOHell browser or Explorer)

7. Mossberg 590 Mariner...12 ga. of course.
View Quote

Is this the same software that was run on the other computer including win98?  I first feel modem bad, but sites use java and other embedded applications that run differently on browsers and computers.

Try Netscrap 4.x

Yes #4 buck is an excellent choice, but I would also consider a sabot slug, the high velocity makes a definate impact.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is this the same software that was run on the other computer including win98?  I first feel modem bad, but sites use java and other embedded applications that run differently on browsers and computers.

Try Netscrap 4.x

Yes #4 buck is an excellent choice, but I would also consider a sabot slug, the high velocity makes a definate impact.
View Quote

Win98 was running on the other 'puter, but I think it was a later version of AOHell (maybe 5.0 or 6.0?) - I'll dig around today and see if I can find a later version to install and try out on this steaming pile of monkey dung.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i don't think you have a modem issue. if you connect with no problems to your isp and surfing runs fine the modem is functioning as designed. The first thing i would do is try running system monitor during the transfer just to rule out memory or processor issues. Most likely you have an AOL issue. Does your system lockup also? are you able to reconnect to aohell with no problem after getting dropped?

My first suggestion is GET THE HELL OFF AOL!!! They are the cause of more pc problems than anything else. Not to mention BIG TIME anti gun.
View Quote

I'm working on getting off of AOHell - its just that until I switch, its free.  The system usually runs fine - occasionally it will lock up though.  Now for the dumb question of the day; what's 'system monitor' and how do I run it?

Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
start---programs---accesories---system tools
then system monitor

this will start it. this is a fairly basic resource monitor. You may need to go to edit and add item to add the memory monitors to the display. I would find it very unlikely your problem is hardware related. Most likely there is a problem on the isp side that is dropping your connection. fyi AOL is infamous for this.

mike
View Quote

Mike - Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I hate to sound like a dumbass ...but when it comes to computer stuff, I basicly AM a dumbass.  So on to my next dumb question...  I don't have a "system monitor" in the system tools.  There is a "system information" - is this the same thing?
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Woohoo!!

Got it running.  Installed the newer version of AOHell and it works now - I guess some bug or something with the earlier version.  Thanks!

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/011/OW/TW/7l/Dj18360.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i kinda figured it was an aol problem. [:)] PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Drop AOL as soon as you can your PC will thank you, and Gun Owners will thank you!!!

mike
View Quote

I know..its on my list of things to do as soon as I get a job.  Been out of work for over a year, and my AOHell account is free, so I've stuck with it out of necessity.  Hopefully that'll change soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top