Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 8/30/2001 11:58:53 AM EST
Hi, I was wondering if the stocks of the Steyr USR and AUG were interchangable. I hate the stupid thumbhole ring and grey color, so I was wondering if you could put a black aug stock on instead. Is this legal? Also are the barrles interchangable? [rail]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:15:00 PM EST
btt
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:36:37 PM EST
Mechanically, the stocks will interchange with no problems. Legally? Don't know - I personally think the front guard keeps it from being a pistol grip, but that the rear webbing was added just to clinch the deal and avoid arguments and delays. Nothing that 10 minutes with a Dremel wouldn't fix, anyway. One of the best things you can do to a USR is install an AUG barrel release button. That way you can swap barrels instantly with a push of your thumb. Check out GSI for AUG parts - [url]http://www.gsifirearms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:19:41 PM EST
Parts will fit, and this is what most people did with the "sporter" versions of guns that came in after the 89' import ban. The redult was the 94' assault weapon ban. If you reconfigure a pre 94, post 89 rifle as an assault weapon AFTER the Sept. 94 date it is illegal. However, if you are positive you did it before that date, and it cannot be proven otherwise, then it is legal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:25:08 PM EST
SteyrAUG, that is very interesting. So if I have a USR purchased before 94, I could have converted it to the standard AUG configuration without any problems? Could I cut off the web part? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 4:27:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:54:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gunrunner: The only problem is that the USR did not EXIST prior to 1994. It is ILLEGAL to change to the AUG stock, but Steyr manufactures a black stock for the USR (I have sold several). Gunrunner
View Quote
Right. The USR was the '94 Ban's ANSWER to the AUG, as the "Match Target" was the answer to Colt's blue/green label A2's...etc.
Top Top