Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2001 7:01:39 PM EDT
I know there is a trade-in programs for police departments and such, but is there any way a civilian like me can trade in a second generation model 17 for a third generation? I have yet to find it if it exists.  Last I heard glock doesn't seem to give a sh%t about the civilian market, buts thats only a rumor I heard from a questionable source.

Thanks.

BS
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC.. Glock will upgrade you 2nd gen to a 3rd gen for a fee.

They'll use that same serial # on the new frame that was on your 2nd gen. I think the frame upgrade was $150?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
IIRC.. Glock will upgrade you 2nd gen to a 3rd gen for a fee.

They'll use that same serial # on the new receiver that was on your 2nd gen. I think the receiver upgrade was $150?
View Quote

Can somebody give me a website that lists the differences and/or pictures between certain generation of Glocks?  With the exception of the tac-rail, I don't know them well enough to distinguish one from another.  Help a newbie out?

[i]Do YOU Have It?[/i]
[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/cockperf3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
No kidding. Thanks a lot. You don't happen to have a link or a phone number do you?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I read this info on one of my "The Glock Report" or on one of the "Glock Annual" that I get from the mail. I'm trying to find it, so that I can scan the info.

GLOCK Inc. USA, Canada
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
USA
Tel.:  +1 770 - 432 1202
Fax.: +1 770 - 433 8719

[img]http://glockfaq.com/images/pics/framegens.jpg[/img]

Generation 1 - no finger groves or equipment rails. No grenade-like design on the front and back straps. It was stimpled all around.
Generation 2 - Grenade-like checking on front and rear straps.

Generation 3 - Grenade-like checkering on front and rear straps. Equipment rails and finger groves.

Plenty of info at : [url]www.glocktalk.com[/url]

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a shame they don't make a 3rd gen Glock (with a Tac-rail) w/o the finger grooves - I prefer the simple checkering myself.  Guess that's why I love my HS2000 so much!!

What series of Glocks have different "generations", all of them?  Are the choices limited by either caliber or full/compact/subcompact size?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking the same thing about the finger grooves.  I want a rail, but the fingers don't fit my big hands.  The HS2000 sounds like a good option.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I think most self respecting gun dealers would allow you to trade in your glock for a real pistol.[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/SPECTRE%2Fhklogo%2Egif[/img]
[size=4]NEVER COMPROMISE !!![/size=4]
[:D][:D]

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#8]
You can send your pistol directly to GLOCK, and they will upgrade it.  You can also send the entire assembled upper, but not the lower, and they will replace the lower with the new model for a larger fee.  If you do that you have an extra lower you can use for other things, an Advantage Arms .22 upper for example.  Or you can cut the handle down to fit the G19 or G26 mag, and switch out the frames when you need extra concealability.  You can ship the upper by USPS, as it is not a firearm, but you will need an FFL holder to receive it back for you.

I believe (but may be wrong) that they no longer match the serial number for you.  BATF was worried about the possibility of two guns floating around with the same S#.  

As to which models have generations, The G26/G27 have only ever been available with finger grips and without accessory rails.  The G34/35 have only been available with 3rd gen frames, but you can put then on older G17/G22 frames.  I know the G17 was available in all three at various times, and I know the G19, G22, and G23 came in at least gen 2 and 3.    
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#9]
One thing I forgot to mention.
Put your tinfoil hat on for this one.
GLOCK is voluntarily engaged in a balistic fingerprint identification program with BATF.  That means every pistol after a certain date is fired before it leaves the factory.  It is not the bullet markings that are archived, but the tool marks on the spent casing.  Thus they can pick up brass from a crime scene, shooting range, wherever, and trace it to the gun that fired it, and then to the last legal purchaser of that gun.  If you have a 2nd gen, it is pretty certain that your GLOCK has not been "fingerprinted."  If you send in the whole thing, or just the upper, it will be.  GLOCK will not replace the lower without the upper sent along, "to ensure propper fit anf function of the finished product."

Remove tin foil hat.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Jewbroni:
It's a shame they don't make a 3rd gen. Glock (with a Tac-rail) w/o the finger grooves - I prefer the simple checkering myself.

Same here. A lot of shooters like the 2nd generation best (& the guys in Smyrna are very aware of it).

Too bad Glock got it bass-akwards with the "transition frames," it had FGs, but no rail (they were only thinking of holsters fitting right, & didn't bother to ask us).

GLOCKshooter, I never heard of that (I mean about no more reproduced serr. #s), it's interesting - guess it amounts to buying a new gun, sans slide.
I did know about the upgrade (if you send the whole thing in they'll install the newer extractor too,,,, right?).
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but why would I want/need to trade my Glock "second" generation in for a "third" generation? Is there a defect with the 2nd?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess My 30 is a Gen. 2.5, It has the Finger grooves but no accy. rail.

I am sending mine basc as soon as I can get it shipped out. But only because I had a catastrophic failure. Case failure at 6 0clock.

The Service Rep at Glock and I played Phone tag for a couple days till he caught me at work.
He called me and on his dime spen a good 20 minutes talking to me and answering my questions.
The only damage I can see is the mag catch is broken and the mag is toast.

But I want it put it under the Microscope before I will shoot it again.

When I saw this post I thought,[:O]
If it's gonna cost me for a new receiver\grip any way, I might as well get 1 with the rail.

Good Topic Bigshooter.

Del [:)]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Glockshooter, great information, thanks for the input. Now I know i didnt get cheated with my G26 without rails..but I do love that gun!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 3:55:58 AM EDT
[#14]
The sub compacts, G26/27/30/36, and whatever the 10mm and .357 are, are too short for accessory rails, so they were not included.  The only thing I hang off my rails is a light (I prefer the M3), and if you want to use a light w/the above models you can get a magazine and or magazine baseplate by GLOCK or at least one aftermarket company that has a flashlight mount at the bottom.  Obviously his totally defeats the shrinking of the gun for CCW, but if placed on a spare mag kept in the car or in the nightstand drawer it could come in handy.  

Makarov- it's only an upgrade if you want accessory rails, and/or like the feel of the new grip better.  It feels a lot smaller to me and fits my hand way better.  I also like the option of slipping on an M3.  No defect with the 2nd gen.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top