Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2001 3:27:52 PM EDT
Here's my latest beef with the LLEA:
I get hired on as a cop, right? So I'm talking to somebody in charge who tells me that my start date will be "next Thursday." Now this was two Fridays ago. So I quit my job on a moment's notice, and get ready to go to work for these guys. I go in for my Psych. Eval. last Wednesday and the same guy tells me that I'll start the week before I go to the academy which puts me starting on the 24th of next month. I can't go back to my job b/c they already sent my gun card back to the state and it will take at least three weeks to get a new one. I got a wife and kid to feed, and it's all b/c one cop has the verbal communications skills of a Blonde Pet Rock. Any suggestions on what to do?          

Edited to to say I meant suggestions on what to do to this guy, not jobs to take for the time being. I can always work in the gun Dept. at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately you have learned one of the lessons of life.  GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.  One of the older docs got a verbal agreement from the CEO of the hospital that his practice would be bought for a nice sum when he was to retire.  When he did decide to go out to pasture, the CEO had a case of amnesia and refused.  And since he didnt have the agreement in his contract, he got screwed out of a large portion of his retirement.  As for your case, I wouldnt rock the boat.  He is going to be your superior and he can make you life hell.  I am sure the other LEOs in the department know about him.  I would protect yourself and keep a diary and write down any promises or agreements.  Its admissible in court and have a lot more clout than memory.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Cut him!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
phrigid, where are you at in AR?  Well, I could make several suggestions on what to do to him, but I don't think they would help any.  Sounds like one you're gonna have to ride out.[:(]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Since Ar. is a right to work state you really have no recourse other than to smile and kindly ask "Gee boss when can I start"? Good luck. What part of the state are you from? Also, is a firearms card part of the requirements for the security field?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I won't mention the Department, but I live in Dover which is about 15 minutes north of Russellville. And yes, having a gun card to work at the at the nuke plant is mandatory. The nuke wants me back, but we've talked and there's no feasible way to get back on shift before I go to the academy.

BTT, I wasn't serious about wanting to hurt the guy, I was just trying to get the thread going.

Now the trolls won't bother me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm about an hour west of you. Judging by your academy start date I'm guessing you'll be going to Camden, the armpit of Ar. Too bad you could'nt go to wuss school in NW Ar. There are no dorms so no lock down for 12 weeks. You have to stay in a hotel if you go to Springdale. Good luck, hope all goes well for you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, Camden it is. Wish I could go to the new one in Pocahontas. They're supposed to have the most kick-@$$ training in the state. Hour west...would that be Fort Smith? Fayetville maybe?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, Fort Smith. I did'nt know Pocohantas was operating yet. Last I heard they were at odds with ALETA standards. They prefer the collegiate form for training versus the drill instructor form used at Camden. Did ALETA finally certify them?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I've been told, they're fully up and running...though I may have been told wrong. A bird whispered in my ear that we should have been going there, but the powers that be were unwilling to go against the norm. Just what I hear, though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#10]
"Fight them tell hell freezes over, and then fight them on the ice."
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn dirty Apes.

[(:|)]artbell[(:|)]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#12]
You learned your first lesson early:  Don't believe anything an assistant chief, deputy chief, or chief says.  Unless it involves something that will impact you in a bad way, in which case their word is good as gold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top