User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2001 10:03:55 AM EDT
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=43730&page=1[/url]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
It's an EA.

1- I purchased it new less than a year ago.  I never filled in the warranty card.  I'm wondering who did and when.

2- This is an inherint product flaw that they are aware of.  It's not a breakage.  Just like your car, a recall or TSB still applies after your warranty is up.  A manufacturer usually tries to rectify known production problems.

3- I provided the SN.  They asked me to send the rifle in.  No mention of any charges until [i]after[/i] they did the work.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
per armalite if you didn't file the warranty card then they have no record for date of sale. I had this problem with mine. The dealer is supposed to fill out the warranty record and mail it in. Mine did not. I was told by them to mail it in or i most likely would not have a warranty.
From what i gathered the warranty card is all they use to track time of sale and warranty info. . The warranty is only valid to the original purchaser. If the card was not sent in they have no way of knowing if you are the original buyer or not.

just fyi
mike
View Quote

that's interesting... I know I never filled in the card... makes sense that they want the dealer to do it but I guess that can be problematic also... I don't know if they run "spiffs" to give dealers bonuses based on volume but if they do I could see some cards being filled in before the rifles are sold... or filled in by a wholesaler that resells to smaller dealers...
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Beer_Slayer:

Get this... I just called Armalite to tell them I haven't owned this thing all that long...  and, apparently they don't have a warranty card on it.  They can only tell when it was originally shipped from the factory!  So, time spent on the dealers shelf comes off of warranty!  The rep there said he would research it further and call me back...  maybe a copy of my 4473 is needed?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#6]
well, they just called me back and they will warranty the repair!!!!  Rick their head smith just called back and said it was going to be warranty.  To quote him "that was the tightest chamber I've ever seen.  We should have never tried to charge you for the repair."  

Also, there was never a warranty card submitted so they filled one out with today as the start date.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a pretty poor warranty.

Thompson/Center Arms will fix just about any problem at any time, no hassles -- I even know of one case where a guy stretched his Contender's receiver by firing deliberately-hot handloads, and T/C replaced the receiver without charge.

Olympic just took care of a small problem for me, even though it's been at least three years since I bought it.  Maybe it would've been different if there had been a cost to them, or if I'd had to have it shipped back to me, but still.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the FEW good things about Massachusetts is its law that states that a bill of sale from a merchant, dated and itemised, is legal proof of ownership and warranty. Do you have a bill of sale or sales receipt? Even your copy of the dated 4473 from the gun shop where you bought should be sufficient, right?

The warranty doesn't go into effect until the sale is made and the merchandise goes out the door. Unsold merchandise is just that- not warranteed (sp), because it is not yet in use. I imagine it's the same in most states.Besides, doesn't EA have the same warranty as Armalite, i.e., lifetime?

Curious. I've had great service from Armalite, and have not had a problem yet with my M15A2. YMMV.

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Besides, doesn't EA have the same warranty as Armalite, i.e., lifetime?
View Quote

Nope. Eagle Arms is a one year warranty versus ArmaLite's lifetime. I would imagine if [b]vicg1[/b]'s speaking abilities are anything like the tone of his posts concerning this, ArmaLite probably wanted to tell him to get bent, I know I would. Easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Besides, doesn't EA have the same warranty as Armalite, i.e., lifetime?
View Quote

Nope. Eagle Arms is a one year warranty versus ArmaLite's lifetime. I would imagine if [b]vicg1[/b]'s speaking abilities are anything like the tone of his posts concerning this, ArmaLite probably wanted to tell him to get bent, I know I would. Easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar.
View Quote

Yeah, thanks for the opinion there genius.  I had no problem with them until they spent my money without even asking my permission...  maybe you bend over easily but I don't.  Apparently their head gunsmith agreed with me and gave the tech that called me originally an ass chewing.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I am a genius and don't ever forget it. I would have calmly and professionally explained my case to them as to why they shouldn't charge me and about how I had bought the rifle less than a year ago as well as how I had made my purchase based on ArmaLite's reputation as a quality company and wouldn't have bought an ArmaLite product had I known this, etc. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred I get what I need and nobody gets their feelings hurt. Instead, you resort to hand-wringing and pissing and moaning. If I was ArmaLite, I'd have issued you a refund and told you to get lost. I wouldn't want a customer like you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
well, they just called me back and they will warranty the repair!!!!  Rick their head smith just called back and said it was going to be warranty.  To quote him "that was the tightest chamber I've ever seen.  We should have never tried to charge you for the repair."  

Also, there was never a warranty card submitted so they filled one out with today as the start date.
View Quote

That sounds like good customer service to me, wouldn't you say?  It does suck that you had to go through all of that, but in the end I think Armalite did the right thing.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, I am a genius and don't ever forget it. I would have calmly and professionally explained my case to them as to why they shouldn't charge me and about how I had bought the rifle less than a year ago as well as how I had made my purchase based on ArmaLite's reputation as a quality company and wouldn't have bought an ArmaLite product had I known this, etc. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred I get what I need and nobody gets their feelings hurt. Instead, you resort to hand-wringing and pissing and moaning. If I was ArmaLite, I'd have issued you a refund and told you to get lost. I wouldn't want a customer like you.
View Quote

Super genius, you are!
Were you on the phone with me and Armalite?  What makes you assume I was anything but polite?  Stop talking out of your ass.

When the Armalite rep told me there was a charge I was calm. I asked why I wasn't told before the work would be done.  He explained he didn't know.  I also asked why it wasn't done at no charge since this was obviously a problem they knew about.  No answer.  I then asked why it wasn't under warranty since I was fairly sure I hadn't owned the rifle over a year... again no answer.  I then asked him to research things a bit more or just have his supervisor call me back.  I did tell him that I wasn't going to pay for charges I didn't authorize.  I wasn't rude but I wasn't about to lay down either.

The supervisor called me back and told me it would be no charge.  There was no warranty card on file, just their own build date.  The supervisor told me the tech shouldn't have tried to bill me anything because it was the tightest chamber he'd ever seen.  He also took the time to explain what "extras" he had done to the rifle to make sure it was ultra reliable.  A very nice guy and in the end a good experience.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That sounds like good customer service to me, wouldn't you say?  It does suck that you had to go through all of that, but in the end I think Armalite did the right thing.

God Bless Texas
View Quote

Great customer service!  (the post was originally titled "armalites POOR service").  The first rep I spoke with wasn't on the same page as their head gunsmith...  worked out in the end.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I was fairly sure I hadn't owned the rifle over a year
View Quote

Fairly sure or sure? There is a difference, but I'm not sure there's enough bandwidth to break it down to monosyllabic terms in order for you to understand. You did, however, resort to hand-wringing and pissing and moaning. Still yet, I wouldn't want you as a customer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was fairly sure I hadn't owned the rifle over a year
View Quote

Fairly sure or sure? There is a difference, but I'm not sure there's enough bandwidth to break it down to monosyllabic terms in order for you to understand. You did, however, resort to hand-wringing and pissing and moaning. Still yet, I wouldn't want you as a customer.
View Quote

fairly sure asshole, I have about 60 rifles and don't remember the birthdate of each one the way some anal retentive like you may... piss off shithead.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Does someone need a hug?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top