Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2001 6:16:29 PM EDT
and force everybody to carry in the open. Would this a better option? After all the 2nd gives us the right to bare arms, not hide them under our shirt. Or like the libs think, would it lead to wildwest type, one on one showdowns in the street?
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd at least like the option.  At 155lbs, the Sig P228 looks like I'm hiding a brick under my shirt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
and force everybody to carry in the open. Would this a better option? After all the 2nd gives us the right to bare arms, not hide them under our shirt. Or like the libs think, would it lead to wildwest type, one on one showdowns in the street?
View Quote

Bear, bare... works both way in this case! [:D]

Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
You're almost right.  Open carry is already supposedly "legal" in most places in that it isn't specifically "banned" yet.

I think concealed carry laws are the wrong way to go unless they follow the Vermont model.  Yes, it's better than nothing, but it still allows the government way too much opportunity to meddle in everyone's affairs.  Background checks are the tools of oppression.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
i dont like the CCW permits i want a real CCW law like vermont
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Concealed carry permit here in Louisiana and have had it for 4 years.  Don't know what I would do without it now.  By the way, I carry a Sig Pro 2340 and you really can't tell it's there.  I wear it in a deep concealment holster (looks kinda like a jock strap) put out by www.smartcarry.com
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Here in Nevada I carry both ways, depending on where I am and what gun I am carrying( only allowed two on my permit till the new law goes into effect this July).
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree 100%, we never had CCW in hawaii
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
We have a CCW law up for vote in Ohio next month. It's passed the Ohio House and the Senate years ago, but it was vetoed by the last two governors. Please don't ask to get rid of CCW, before we get it. Us Buckeyes will take any help we can get!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:55:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Many times when a firearm is taken from an armed individual and used against them, the armed/disarmed victim is an LEO.  That is because their handgun is hanging right there on their hip, easier to take.  The # of cases where a firearm is taken from a citizen and used against them is slight.  
I would rather stay low profile, make 'em wonder.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#12]
IMHO and according to the FBI Crime Report the reason that the crime rate drops in CCW states is that criminals have no way of knowing whether there intended victim is carrying.
I too would prefer a Vermont type CCW law, but I like the fact that criminals have to thnik about it. Showing only gives them advance warning.
My 2cents.
Mike
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree with Jack on this one. Concealed carry is safer and makes the creeps wonder.

Open carry , although I'd like that too, makes a lot of nice people nervous, yes even pro gun people like some of your wives and girlfriends. It also has the downside that it could contribute to escallation of events in a confrontation. I for one don't want someone who I got into a fight with to know what kind of gun I had and where it was till it was too late.

I guess there are pros and cons for both ways. What might work for you one day might get you in trouble the next.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#14]
concealed carry keeps the creeps wondering who is armed. If everyone who owned a handgun wore them "open" it would be like declaring open season on those who weren't. Also, if someone was intent on doing you harm, it would be easier for them to disarm or disable you when you carry open while if it was concealed, they wouldn't know (potentially) where it was and thus leave you alone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey NoSheep...

I'd take the right to defend myself anyway I can get it.  I pray everyday that Ohio will wake up and let us lawabiding citizens at least be on equal turf with the felons that look to harm us.

Any CCW or right to carry in Ohio would be welcome.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#16]
No way rainman, better concealed.  Keeps the criminals guessing, and less temptation for idiots.  When I'm packing no one knows, and that's the way I want it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here in Nevada I carry both ways, depending on where I am and what gun I am carrying( only allowed two on my permit till the new law goes into effect this July).
View Quote

I've been thinking about getting a NV carry permit, but I really hate the idea of having to get permission from goon.gov pukes to defend myself.  I've heard that we can carry loaded guns in our cars here in Nevada (in the glove box).

Also, I carry open out in the desert and on mountain hiking paths... but if I strap my 44 to my hip and go to the mall I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't end up with a serious problem.  I've never seen anyone carry open in urban areas in NV.  However, I have seen news reports of SWAT mobilizations because some sheeple spotted a gun in/on someones belt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#18]
It would be best to allow anyone who can legally own a firearm the right to carry in any manner they deem approprite whether open or concealed without having to be charged a permit fee to do so. I prefer concealed over open.. keep 'em guessing...

Rick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top