Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2001 11:32:37 AM EDT
This chainstore sports emporium years ago carried all types of firearms. Now they only carry shotguns, rifles and muzzle loaders. Stopped in today for the first time since then and got what I expected. Moron behind counter could not answer any questions without, "ummm, not sure" or "ummmm, dunno" or better yet, " ummm I think so, but I'm not sure".

I was looking at a Savage bolt action. He hands it to me without clearing the chamber (it had a trigger lock, but WTF good is that really?), I clear it soon as he hands it to me (always my policy), and began shouldering it while pointing it at a nearby wall (first checking to see no one was near). He then has the balls to ask me to point it at the ceiling! (I was pointing in a safe direction) Last time I recalled deer in Georgia don't climb trees and it is hard to get the feel of shouldering it while raising it to a unnatural target. I handed it back after clearing the action and said "later". I would not buy a gun from these Walmart wannabes anyway.

I know I should have said something, but this young punk will be asking people if they "want fries with that" after this place goes out of business.

Lesson: Support your local gun shop!
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#1]
RoyDamn,

I understand your disgust and reasoning.  And it is insulting to have some snot nose too stupid to clear a rifle THEN have the audacity to have you test shoulder a rifle straight up. But the last part, the support your local gunstore part, only goes so far.

Today, I went into my local gunstore interested in the Tasco Optima 2000 sight for my wifes .22 handgun.  I already done the research, and know which mount it needs, and the only part I'm not sure of is if I will like what I actually SEE.

So, I'm prepared to pay a bit more than prices I have seen on the internet for the priveledge of seeing one in  person, having it in my hot little hand on the spot, and knowing someone will be there to help if I have a problem.

Well, I have seen this scope for sale on the internet for $129.  OK, I figure if the store charges $145 it is worth it to me and fine.  But hell, they want $299!

Sorry.  I can not see how they expect me to pay effectively double and then some.

Maybe it is just me, but it does seem as if the stores are losing touch.  Or, the internet is destroying the storefront operation.  Dunno which.  But I know I can't pay double for the pleasure of talking to these guys.

James
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Hah!  I was (2 years ago) that young punk behind the gun counter in the Sports Authority! I ran my counter better than that, though... you'd have been maybe not impressed, but certainly not disappointed with the way we ran things. But you're right, it is going down the tubes, which is why I got out. But here's the kicker; I was there when the decision came to stop selling handguns. Management knocked off 30% of the handguns price just to move the last of the inventory, and then employees got a discount of another 20% off that.  And, if you knew a manager, you could walk out with the thing for far less than the company paid for it. I got a ruger .22 stainless bull barrel for like $98. Picked up a Buckmark .22 for $115 (I think), glock 26 for around $195. A few others in there too, which, sadly, I turned right back around and sold for a fat profit.  Wish I'd kept all those guns.  As it is, all I have left now from the sports authority is my Mossberg 590.  Got that one as a steal too.[;)]

-RyanG
[flag]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Garand_Shooter,

Actually, I "assumed" that the internet dealer has at least a 15% markup to cover expenses and as profit.  Even when you sell volume you still need a profit margin.  

An additional markup of 10-15% by a store seems reasonable.  If my first "assumption" is correct, then the store paid about $112.  Add on about a 30% margin and get $146.  

If these stores can't make it at a 25-30% markup then I can't help them.  I have to protect myself first.  

James
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a gun store near me where the prices of rifles fall in line with Wally World...but his accesories are through the roof (30 rounders are $28 for used $50 for new). I buy my guns and ammo from him and my accesories at Galyans.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to shop there until they
axed handguns. P.C. Mother Fuckers
anyway!

[(:|)]artbell[(:|)]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
While $299 is too high, you expectation of $145 is unreasonable and the reason that many local FFL's are giving up. By the time you factor shipping, his overhead, and other factors, he needs to get at least $190 for it to make it worth his while.
View Quote

Gunshop owners should learn to be better businessmen. The reason that so many FFL's go out of business is that they are crappy businessmen! If you cannot compete on a price level with competitors, you don't stock an item (unless it serves as a loss leader or draws tangental sales). Just because it is a complementary product, doesn't mean you have to stock it. The reason many of these guys have been around so long is that few customers had access to the middlemen and wholesalers. FFL's could charge whatever markup they wanted, and as long as all of the other local dealers charged similar prices, no one was the wiser. The internet has changed all of that. Now we know how and where we can buy items for cheaper, thus negating the FFL's advantage of knowledge. They have to make up for that by focusing on items that internet retailers can't sell cheaply due to shipping costs:heavy items like shot,safes, powder, bulk ammo, as well as small items, like $2 parts that cost too little to justify shipping. Those who can't need to turn shooting back into a hobby.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I really don't mind paying more as long as I get some service, too. I don't mind helping out the "little guy" at all, because he's going to be there in the long run. I'll be damned if I'll pay good money to be treated like a bag of dog shit though. That's why I don't help out any of the locally owned and operated shops around here (or Wal-Fart and Kfart). Can't say that I've ever been in any Sports Authority stores, but we used to have Oklahoma City Sports/Sports Unlimited/Jumbo Sports around here. Before they were Jumbo Sports, they were really pretty good to deal with as chain stores go, believe it or not. The north side store had their gun/hunting department run by some retired guys who were [b]BIG TIME[/b] hunters and shooters (the south side store was okay, but the guys in the gun department weren't as dedicated). Prices were very competitive, these guys knew what they were talking about, were fairly courteous, etc. When it became Jumbo Sports, it got to be like what you guys have decribed: piss-poor and expensive as hell (the old guys were gone and little dope smoking smartasses took their places). Very rude to boot. I sure wasn't sad to see them go belly-up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh -boy Some of you guys just don't get it.  Choke 'em 'till they die; we'll show them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]
the sports authority stores here dumped firearms, sell only air rifles and paintball.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Garand_Shooter,
[i]I've posted on this topic previously on other threads.[/i]
I've taken your advice to spend locally and give up on those internet dealers.
2  weeks ago I went looking for a new Tikka rifle and a Handgun.
1st shop experience- Waited for 10min before the owner even acknowledged me. Busy talking about bow hunting while I and another customer(at the register ready to pay for his goods) wait for this scintillating conversation to end.
After both customers leave he turns and says:" What do ya need". All he had were a few used firearms on display.
But that's ok,  I know what I want anyway. He tells me to write down what I need and my telephone# and he'll call me tomorrow, fine, whatever. Well that tomorrow was a week ago last Friday.
2nd shop - Closed, out of business, turned into a grocery type store.
3rd & 4th shops- Won't even bother, prices are way too high and they act like they're doing you a favor.
5th shop - An hours ride from home. Nice guy, good inventory of new and used firearms, good prices. I ordered my rifle but still debating which HG to buy. I will purchase a HG from him when I pick up my rifle next week.
So maybe I didn't keep it all that local in the end. So, I supported a good guy/shop or at the very least someone who can feign interest in me and my patronage.
Shop #1 will go the way of shop #2 before long. As far as #3 & #4 are concerned, I'll give them a try next time I'm in a buying mode.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Garand_Shooter will you be my friend?
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Sports Authority is pathetic!!!  A couple of years ago, I went into one in the Atlanta area and purchased a Swiss Army knife with a cork screw.  It had a 2-1/2" primary blade.

When I went to check out, THEY MADE ME PRESENT PHOTO ID AND SIGN A VOUCHER TO THE EFFECT THAT I WAS OVER 18 YEARS OF AGE!!!!  I cracked up.  I kept looking for the Candid Camera.  They were serious.  I am in my 40's.

I really try not to buy from them now.  I walked through the store over the weekend and as usual, there were a bunch of overweight people waddling around like their feet hurt looking at running shoes and work out equipment that they will never use.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Sooner or later they will deciede that its easier to make a living elsewhere, and when you find that $500 pre-ban online but can't find an FFL within 150 miles to do a transfer you will only have yourself to blame. When you need a new scope mount for the opening day of deer season the next day, or a loved one needs a personal protection gun in a hurry, or you need a part to make the shoot the next day, rest well knowing that while it may take you a week to get it, at least no greedy capitalist made a profit on you.
View Quote

Good points, but it don't fly here. Want one of the local shops to do a transfer here? The answer is either [b][i]NO!!!!![/i][/b], or the added fees make it so damned high that it's just not worth it anymore. Need parts? You can forget that little notion right now in Oklahoma City. Further, I sure as hell wouldn't be looking for a new scope the day [b][i]before[/i][/b] deer season. I do a lot of business with Sinclair International and they're not anywhere near being cheap, but they treat you like they would want to be treated. If I walked into any of the gun stores around here and shot my mouth off to the proprietors like they do to the customers, they'd bounce me out on my ass. That's a fact.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can see now why so many new business's fail within the first few years.... people really have no clue.
View Quote

[b]very true[/b]

You can't make a living selling $2 parts.
View Quote
Nope. Don't know why dealers stock 'em instead of ordering on an as need basis. It's excess inventory that never moves.
As far as heavy items, guess what, they will charge the dealer just as much to get it to his door as they will you to get it to yours.
View Quote
Ahhh, but as a dealer, you have the option and inventory money to make volume purchases and sell at a discount. A select, limited inventory that moves quickly.

A 25-30% markup doesn't cut it unless you are doing huge volume. When you figure the costs of shipping, rent, insurance, advertising, utilities, employees if you have any, the FFL, credit card proccessing, security system, Inventory taxes, local licenses, and others(I could go on for a long time) that 25-30% evaporates real quickly.
View Quote

[b] You just mentioned a lot of not necessarily needed overhead. That is exactly what makes a bad business decision. The best gun show vendors in my area do high volume sales of popular products, including weapons. They work out of a small add on to one of the owner's houses from what I understand. They put up a big banner at gunshows, and have a website. They pass credit card fees on to customers, cash is a 2-3% discount. These same fellows will also do transfers for a fee. They make fairly good money doing this, and blow many competitors out of the water. It's the American way-they are the gunshop owners of the future.[/b]

Don't worry though, go ahead and buy from Shotgun News and the internet and tell the local guys to go to hell. Sooner or later they will deciede that its easier to make a living elsewhere, and when you find that $500 pre-ban online but can't find an FFL within 150 miles to do a transfer you will only have yourself to blame. When you need a new scope mount for the opening day of deer season the next day, or a loved one needs a personal protection gun in a hurry, or you need a part to make the shoot the next day, rest well knowing that while it may take you a week to get it, at least no greedy capitalist made a profit on you
View Quote
Or they'll do what smart gunshop owners are doing-consolidating their business, limiting overhead and inventory,letting big internet vendors carry the huge inventorys, and switching to service based sales (gunsmithing). A great local gunshop owner and FFL recently closed his shop and consolidated his business as a gunsmith, (his real talent). I applaud his decision.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]
My Dad and I used to go to the Sports Authority in So.Florida every Christmas when I was down visiting him.

The last time we went was when they were having their "firearms inventory" blowout (Some unreal prices- Between he and I, we spent on the heavy side of $3000)
The kid who worked the gun counter was an ex-Marine, about 26-28 years old. Super cool, good hunter, prefered Revolvers to Auto's, and hated liberals.
Of course, I totally understand where you are coming from. Any casual glance at a Wal-mart sporting goods counter will yeild some pretty pathetic losers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the majority of dealers are assholes.  You wouldn't buy a car from a dealership that gave poor service or insulted you.  Lucky for me I have a local dealer who has a good inventory (including "assult rifles"), good prices, is knowledgable (sp), & is a very nice guy to boot.  I pay higher prices on some things at his shop, but it doesn't bother me.  I like having him there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I only buy firearms at a local shop, and most of the time, I also get them to order stuff for me, which they are happy to do, since *I* pay shipping plus a small fee, so he's still making a pretty fair profit for making a phone call, which is toll-free. BUT.....if I can get it for less through the mail, yer f*ckin'-A right I will! The gun shop owner don't pay my bills, I do. And I'm not about to sh*t myself out of money if I don't have to.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top