Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2001 3:34:57 PM EDT
Do any of you on a m-65 field jacket.  I'm thinking of buying one with a linear in it, and was wondering how good of a winter coat it will be.  Does it handel 0 degree weather and 20mph wind real good.  

p.s  would you get the standared woodland color or the urban camo color.

thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
bought my first m-65 in 1969 as a long haired hippie...been wearing them ever since. like m4m said, i wear them because they last for years and are cheaper than carharts.

i have od and woodland. i grab whichever one is the cleanest.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a kahki colored one with a Thinsalate liner from U.S. Cavalry, which is supposed to be twice as warm as the GI version.  I spent a month in Dallas TX in Dec.  It didn't get down to 0 and 20mph winds but it was rather cold without a sweater or two underneth, and some long johns.  A hood in OD is available to button on to the jacket for something like $15, but I don't know if that would be enough for the temps in ND.  I recommend the ones from Alpha Industries.  They are a military contractor for clothing. It maybe a little more expensive, but I believe they are the best when it comes to these type of jackets.  Check out their web site at[url]http://www.alphaindustries.com/[/url].  For the M65 jacket see [url]http://www.alphaindustries.com/productinfo/line/cold/m65.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Even with the liner they are an average winter coat. Zero degrees and 20mph winds? You'll need to layer if your spending any real time out in that coat, especially if your not doing much moving around. If your interested I have my old U.S.M.C. O.D. green M65 with liner. Size medium regular fits a man 5'10"-6', 38" to 40"(maybe 42") chest.
It will never fit me again and I have no one to give it to. It's 70's/80's era and I got it in 83. Very good condition with U.S.M.C. emblem on the left front pocket. If your interested, email me. We can work a sale or trade.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want something to stay warm in REALLY cold temps, get an M1951 "fishtail" parka with the nylon liner & hood. Not as durable as the field jacket, but warm as hell. Get a pair of field pants with the liner, and a pr of GI mittens, and you can stay out sitting still for a long while, and never get cold. The parka is sized to fit over a field jacket, though, so buy one a size smaller (size med-buy a size small, etc)
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Also available is an M-65 that is all leather, & sells for about $200 bucks. I think Brigade Quartermaster has them, and also U.S. Calvary. Never owned one, but have seen a few, and they look real nice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a new one made by Propper and paid about $65.00 for the coat and liner.

Very nice comfortable and warm coat but needs something underneath as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I lucked out and found one at a gun show several years ago for $15 without the liner.  The liner cost $20.  I have had it for several years. Last March I bought a surplus camo one with the liner for $50 at a military surplus.
You can't beat them for the money.  They are rugged, water resistant, and fairly warm.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Had one since '82.  If you can find one, the above mentioned button on hood is a good investment, keeps the rain from going down inside the jacket when using the pullout hood.  Also keeps the wind off the back of the neck better, while adding another layer on your head.  Tried using the pullout hood, watch cap, then button on hood - worked great!  
Gave just as much for the hood as I did for the jacket.  Mine is OD green, wish I had bought a khaki one to wear to work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Which field jacket came before the one they use now? When I  joined in 1974 they used the same field jacket as now. With the zipper in the collar with the hood underneath... Velcro for the cuffs. All the old guys way back then used the previous field jacket with the button cuffs on the sleeves and with the collars with the sharp points. These used to be common in surplus stores, but haven't seen one in many moons now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#12]
A M65 even with a liner isn't going to cut it as a winter coat in North Dakota!  It doesn't even cut it here in Utah.  I like the old OD ones for a jacket or medium coat, but they just are not warm enough for winter in the mountains around here.  Best.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I love 'em, but you have to layer your clothes because the M65 itself really isn't all that warm by itself. Even up here in NH I rarely have to wear the liner, and when I do wear it it goes under my shirt and not in the jacket - that makes it easier to take layers off to ventilate.

The fishtail parka w/liner and hood is all that! Wear one of these over your M65 and you just won't get cold, plus it's a lot longer so you can sit down without getting a cold butt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I was issued my first one in Nov 89 in basic training. I prefer the gortex jacket with a liner to the M65, plus the gortex is waterproof and the M65 isn't.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Which field jacket came before the one they use now? When I  joined in 1974 they used the same field jacket as now. With the zipper in the collar with the hood underneath... Velcro for the cuffs. All the old guys way back then used the previous field jacket with the button cuffs on the sleeves and with the collars with the sharp points. These used to be common in surplus stores, but haven't seen one in many moons now.
View Quote

I was issued one of those for a while in the U.S.M.C. I think it was designated the M44 for the year it was adopted. In the U.S.M.C. unless the commandant says a particular design of equipment is no longer allowed to be issued they keep on issueing it until it is unserviceable. Another example; In boot camp in 1982 I was issued one set of  camoflage Jungle utilities dated 1969. The kind with the slant chest pockets. The corps had only recently (80 or 81) gone to woodland cammies and a lot of the old stuff was still in the system.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
don't know if you are interested but I have 3 very nice woodland camo m65 type field jackets in size medium long. large short and large regular $15 shipped to the lower 48. [email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top