Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2001 10:19:23 AM EDT
I just saw the movie.  It was entertaining but not Oscar material. What moved me was the scene where the Germans machine-gunned the Italians. I am sure there will be jokes about their fighting ability but no soldier deserves to be executed in that manner. Does anyone know how many were killed?  US GIs got the same during battle in the Ardennes.  Polish officers and countless Russians too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I think something like nine thousand one way or another. And I don't have a lot of sympathy for them. In the movie the Italian army is portrayed in a very kind light. This is also very common in Italy where they like to whitewash the fascist period and make themselves out as victims of the nazis like everyone else. I am of Italian descent...

The screenwriter for the film is the daughter of Joe Slovo, former chairman of the South African communist party. Like all movies there are changes made from the books on which they are based on, and I would be curious to hear from anyone who has actually read the bestselling novel. AR-15.com literati?

Anyway, bad acting by Cage and his co-star, but beautiful scenery.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And I don't have a lot of sympathy for them. In the movie the Italian army is portrayed in a very kind light. This is also very common in Italy where they like to whitewash the fascist period and make themselves out as victims of the nazis like everyone else. I am of Italian descent...

quote]

My gradparents were in the Greek underground, ran a safe house for freedom fighters...she always told me that when the Italians were running around Athens they were of the same branch as the Greeks, (they love kids, they have that special familial attitude...gave food to children, wouldn't kill women, etc)  the Gerries on the other hand were brutal to everyone.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I am sure the Ehiopians and Balkans would have a different view of the Italian Fascists.

I admit the Germans were much more efficient in their brutality, but the Italians didn't invade to bring civilization.

A better movie of this occupation is "Mediteraneo" made by Italians.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Exactly Raf, I was just giving another example of soldiers getting executed.  I guess the best thing to do is be like a Klingon and not surrender and die fighting!  At least you might take some with you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top