Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2001 4:17:32 PM EDT
I know it only means something to me, but I still am happy about this.  After weeks of studing I finally took and passed the hardware portion of the Microsoft A+ certification.  I scored a 757 out of 900 possible.  In two weeks I will take my software test.

I know these test aren't the same as having real world experience, but they will help in landing an interview at least.

Anyway--Drinks and ammo for everyone!!([size=1]Disclaimer-Everyone that lives in my household[/size=1]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Great!!! Sounds like your hard work has started to pay off. Perhaps you can work for MS and devise error codes that will confound Third World Nations. Seriously, you have something to be Proud of. May you Live Long and Prosper.
              [beer]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
So that explains where you have been lately, congrats!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So that explains where you have been lately, congrats!
View Quote

Yes, it does.  I am 36 and don't learn nearly as fast as I used to.  My goal is to get my MCSE and study other networking fields.  Hell I got the time since my back still isn't fully healed.

Beer-Slayer, I'll remember that, thanks.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info Beer-Slayer.  I was thinking about Unix/Linux and Cisco.  Workers comp is paying for the schooling which does teach these coarses.  Personnal I was thinking about being a teachers aide after I graduate just so I can stick around to play with all of the schools equipement.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Forget about the linux.  Get a free UNIX-like OS here: [URL]http://www.FreeBSD.org[/URL]

It's not AIX, but it's *free* and it is basically UNIX although they can't say so.  When you buy AIX, you will notice some minor differences, but FreeBSD's not a fourth dimension like linux.  You will feel right at home except for some command name differences and a slightly different directory structure.  

If you ever go to work for The Beer Slayer you will be so sorry you ever wasted your time on linux.  It has nothing to do with UNIX.  Linus Torvalds invented linux because he wanted his own operating system.  He gave the source to some buds and the rest is history.  

If you are interested, I will give you a SecureShell account on my FreeBSD box and you can poke around for a little while to get your feet wet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
AIX isn't going to pay your bills for much longer, and if you think that is, I'd strongly recommend you talk to IBM about their future plans for that OS.  

Unix is definantely a way to go if you want to learn a lot and make good money on the way.  Specialization is for insects, though...don't get too focused on one particular branch.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
No doubt that it's coming on strong...it just worries me that so many sheeple are flocking to linux like it's the only "alternative OS" there ever was.  Certain people pick linux just because they're not aware of anything else other than linux and winbloze.  I'll admit that I was a RH luser for about a month, until I realized what a sham it is/was.  

Most people have forgetten about where all of "this" started, and what it started with.  UNIX baby, 'nuff said.  You know the deal Beer Slayer, you said it yourself, "UNIX is where the money's at, baby."  [:D]

PS-  It should be noted that right now I'm just "pulling cable" for a telecom company, but slowly working for HP-UX and AIX certs/experience.

PPS-  If you use linux, more power to you.  At least it's not a Microsoft product, yet.  [>:/]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
IBM is wasting money, along with HP and others, on Linux.  Unfortunantely, I don't see it as a long-term profitable venture for them.  But I digress.

Granted, since 2.4 linux is getting there, but still needs help to be a stable enough OS to trust a production level business like a bank too.  There are too many people doing too many things at once for linux to maintain a single growth path with stability.  I forsee that this will cause a fork or six at some point, hopefully a well managed one, as linux starts to have seperate server and desktop focuses.  MS isn't totally stupid, there is a good reason to have a desktop vs. workstation vs. server OS.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Heavy Metal:
There are very few MCSE2000's right now and if you know Active Directory, you can make big bucks with Microsoft too.
View Quote

Can you point out any major company besides MS that's using AD in production?  Not a flame, just curious, cuz I haven't seen it yet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#18]
MS Active Directory can share information with any other Directory Service that supports LDAP v2 or v3 like Novell Directory Services.
View Quote

You mean it can suck info from these, but sharing back is not its strong point.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats on the test.......

Stick with it... it's worth it.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats on the test!!

I am on my corporate W2K roll-out team.  AD is a bear to implement in a large multi-domain NT4 environment.  We have at least a year before we will even be close to full AD implementation - if ever.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#26]
ah yes, I have taken a A+ college (that's right "A" holes, collEge) course. I am yet to certify, img waiting to work for someone who will pay for the test.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Congrats!  I'm working toward a CCNA myself, but I've got a Series 7 (broker) thing to that I'm in the final stages of studying for.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
consider cisco training if the budget allows for it.

mike
View Quote

thats where matt is going. i was SUPPOSED to have cisco 1, 2, and "intro to cisco routers" under my belt by the time i got out of high school, but the administration fucked me out of it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Heavy,

The samba book is useful to read through, many of the options haven't changed significantly, although there are many new ones.  
Fun stuff.  Run Samba on our file server box at work, a sun 420R with 200GB of disk and 4gb of RAM [:D].   Wanna compile something?  Wanna compile it again???
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sgtar15
just stick with us we have your carreer all planned out for you [beer]

Congrats again welcome to the bleeding edge on the techno curve.

mike
View Quote

Boy I'll say!!  With you guys here I don't need my wife around anymore telling me what to do!![:)][:)]

But seriously, thanks for all the advice.  Everyone has given me lots of good info on which way to go.  

I do have one question, Unix is mostly command line right?  The reason I ask is because I studied Basic programming lanuage before and picked that up pretty easily.  Hence I feel I have the nessecary mind type to effectively learn Unix.  What do you think?? (since you guys are now my career advisers[:)].

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#31]
And BTW, the test I took was the CompTia 201 Hardware test.  The next one is the software 202 test.  The two combined make up the A+ cert.  And starting 8-31-01, that test changes to the adaptive format.

Yes the tests get harder.  But since I am not working right now I can spend 3-5 hours per day studing.

sgtar15

PS And after all of this I might even take a speling clas.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Getting in a late CONGRATULATIONS! here [:)]

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:00:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Sergeant,

Not really all CLI.  Here's a low-quality screen shot of my desktop.  It's using the window manager called BlackBox.  It's very sleek and efficient.

[IMG]www.nepamedia.com/images/screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Please let me know if all you get is the dreaded red x.  [:D]

PS- Sorry it's so big, I can shrink it if you don't want to download the large file.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:15:44 AM EDT
[#34]
glock20, cool. So more like CLI and DOS commands---Right??

Sgtar15

PS My head is starting to hurt again[:(]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#35]
OK,

CLI means command line interface.  The pic I posted of my system is of my GUE (Graphical User Environment) or GUI (Graphgical User Interface.)  The little window called xterm in the LL is what your whole screen would look like without a GUI.  It's called the console, or console mode.    
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the info.  I will get it eventually, it's just going to take some time reading and studing. The more I learn, the less I know. LOL!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Microsoft is going to be the best thing to ever happen to Linux and FreeBSD and all the other free OSes. Windows XP licensing provisions are going to make alot of places drop Windows in the next year or two.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Garmentless,

Cool. [8D]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#41]
As has already been stated, A+ is not a MS cert. It is CompTIA along with I NET+ and Network+. It will certainly help you get your foot in the door though. I would reccomand you see if you can't get in somewhere working part time wit a local shop for peanuts to get some hands on time on your resume. I do not know a lot of places who will hire you on the Cert alone.

As for MS certs. I have one exam left ofr my Win2k MCSE. Have had my NT4.0 MCSE since Jan of 98. The 2000 track is certainly more difficult than the old one. Another one to consider is the MCDBA (Microsoft Certified Database Admin).

AS far as linux, I really don't think it is going to go anywhere. I have worked for IBM busness partners and I know how they operate. We did a lot of NT / AS400 integration. IBM made crap out of NT forever and really pumped up the 400. The 400 is a good box, but should not be installed in place of a PC server. Eventually IBM saw the light and came out with the IPCS card for the 400 that allowed you to run NT on the 400. Sounds like a surrender to me lol. Anyway. I see IBM dumping all kinds of cash into the Linux thing and trying very hard to create a market for it. I don't think it will fly.

Oh, and Netware has been using something like Active Directory for a while.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]

MCSE, MCP, MCP+I, A+, NETWORK+, I NET+, IBM PSE
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Good luck Heavymetal.  I am assuming that you are taking the adaptive test since they just changed over.  I am taking the A+ software test on Sept 10 so once again I will be up quite late tonight studing.  

Oh well, it will be worth it in the long run.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top