Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 8/24/2001 5:11:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2001 5:13:14 AM EDT by Garand_Shooter]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:26:54 AM EDT
hit F8 while it is booting up... this should give you the screen which will allow you to choose to boot into "safe" mode... if it makes it up into safe mode, you can try to restore the OS to a previous date... if it can't boot up into safe mode, i would just reformat and reinstall the OS... sounds like either a file got corrupted or something you installed lately is causing a problem... if you have a good ISP such as EarthLink you could call their tech support and explain that while you understand that this type of an issue is not supported, you would be most appreciative if the tech asked around and gave you some ideas to try on your own... or someone on this board may provide you with further fix ideas... good luck :)
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:42:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:32:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:41:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter: ARRGGHHH, its still not working, I went back as far as 2 weeks in my system restore. I did get this error message once in safe mode: VxD dynamic link call: VSDATA959010+ 00014E84 to "0028" service 800A anyone got any clues?
View Quote
I think I have a pretty good idea of what's wrong. What's the latest software you've loaded?
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:54:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2001 6:54:47 AM EDT by Garand_Shooter]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:02:08 AM EDT
Time to try the ole OS reload! Nuckles.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:11:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2001 7:13:44 AM EDT by Ian]
Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter: I updated zonealarm either yesterday or the day before, IIRC that is all I have added. I unistalled it already to see if that helped, no effect.
View Quote
Exactly what I thought. A good friend of mine who runs Windows ME on his Sony Vaio laptop recently had to use his system restore cd after updating to a newer version of ZoneAlarm. I'd recommend backing up the data that you want to keep, and then restore or re-install your system. Then, if you still wish to use ZoneAlarm install it with Norton UnInstall and it will allow you to completely remove the software from your system and then re-install the newest version without hosing your system (in lieu of using the built-in update features.) Good luck! Ian Editied because I can't spell.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:00:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:06:57 AM EDT
I agree on the format part. If you can get your data backed up. I use DriveImage to make an image of my OS partition so I can restore in about 5 minutes. I also never store data that I can not lose on the OS partition in case I have to format.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:22:27 AM EDT
duffy wrote... "Earthlink has one of the worst support there is" absolutely untrue... ELNK has award winning tech support... "the hold time is normally 30 to 40 minutes." i'm sure the hold time is not that long 24/7... maybe at peak times of the day though... with almost 5 million customers they are doing the best they can to get more reps on the phones but they can't just grab people from off the street and throw them on the phones... finding quality reps and providing quality training takes a little time... also, keep in mind that you may be waiting on hold due to other users who may not be as computer literate as you and are having difficulty getting walked through their fix... you haven't lived until you've spent 15 minutes trying to teach someone over the phone how to right click... the hold times will go down eventually... "Like most support people, their specialty is finger pointing, buck passing, or plain stupidity." it's pretty clear that you know absolutely nothing about how computers & telecommunications work... over 90% of all customer tech support calls are due to something messed up on the user's pc, whether it be a corrupted file, a crappy win-modem with old drivers, a norton update that re-writes the email client settings, etc... if the problem is on ELNKs side due to hardware failure or broken fiber, etc, they will tell you right up front and announce such problems on their phone system and usenet... the quality of your ISP service depends upon a million things, from your OS and it's communications files to your modem, to it's drivers & settings, through your telco & telco lines, through your ISP, through all the routers from all the OPNs that make up the internet and finally to the destination server... one little problem with any of these anywhere along the chain and people instantly blame their ISP... most of the time it's something on their system... sometimes there is a router down somewhere or a fiber cut... files get corrupted... computers crash... settings get changed... actually, it's a miracle that we even have an internet considering everything it takes to keep it up and running... big tip... keep your OS healthy... scan disk and defrag often... don't install/use any unnecessary software, that includes ISP software, you don't need that crap, connect using DUN ( dial up networking ) that is the best way... you double click your browser or email client of choice and bam... it opens and connects you to the internet... your ISP tech support rep can walk you through setting this up... do you have a crappy win-modem with a lucent or rockwell chipset or a real full hardware modem like a US Robotics... if you have a win-modem, realize the limitations of them and constanly keep your drivers updated and settings adjusted properly... better yet, throw away that $5 piece of crap and get yourself a $100 USR full hardware modem... ( or go broadband via DSL, satellite or cable ) there are people with $2000 pcs that have a $5 win modem in them and then they bitch about their connections dropping... and finally... Core Values & Beliefs... http://www.earthlink.net/about/ourvalues/cvb/index.html Your Internet Bill of Rights... http://rights.earthlink.net/
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:26:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:37:03 AM EDT
I had something similar happen to me in June. Whole system took a dump and wouldn't boot up even in safe mode. I couldn't find my Win ME startup disk anywhere so I used my win98 one. It gave the option to reinstall just the Windows software. Luckily it saved all my pics and docs but I had to reinstall all my programs onto the OS. Ironic thing is my system took a dump as I was installing a CDRW drive so I could back up my data for just such and event. See if you can just reinstall the OS without wiping your disk clean. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is, still cleaning up from the mess. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:14:46 AM EDT
If yo uhave a friend with a bit of knowledge about winblowz computers, see if yo ucan slave your drive and back up all your data. Then go get an Apple!!! On an apple, you can do what is called a clean install, which only replaces your system software, but leaves all of your files in place, and unharmed. But GET AN APPLE!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:36:14 AM EDT
check this out... http://www.zonelabs.com/services/support_install.htm
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:43:05 AM EDT
I believe you should be able to reinstall the os and all you mp3 should still be there. There may be some loss on installed programs, but it should still be readable. If you tell me the os, I will give it a try first and let you know. You will still need the drivers and old software, but raw data should be fine. I actually have the benifit of testing software for a living, and have several machines I can screw around with in my spare time at work.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:53:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:45:57 AM EDT
Okay I tried to e-mail you, and then tried to post but it wouldn't let me yesterday. so here is what I found. You can just reinstall, and not only will your other files be there, but some programes are still installed as well. I used a win98 boot disk and did the install off the cd in dos mode. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:47:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:59:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter: ARRGGHHH, its still not working, I went back as far as 2 weeks in my system restore. I did get this error message once in safe mode: VxD dynamic link call: VSDATA959010+ 00014E84 to "0028" service 800A anyone got any clues?
View Quote
Hmmm....out of curiosity, what Virus Software are you using. Did you update/install recently? Try this if you can. Go into safe mode, uninstall your Virus Scan software or the firewall program you just installed, and restart in normal mode. See if that works.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 5:40:12 PM EDT
I once waited on the phone 1 1/2 hours with ZEOS before. And if it were me waiting 30- 40 minutes with tech support, I wouldn't care two bits if it was just one of those things. Things like that shouldn't happen.
Top Top