Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2006 12:43:38 PM EDT
Another thread got me thinking.
How much would Grenades cost?
How about RPGs?

Before I die, One of my goals is to toss a grenade. Not CS, or Flash bangs(though they would be cool)
But a Frag grenade. I guess in some countries you can pay to throw a grenade

this is the thread that got me thinking
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=465849
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Do what I did.

I joined the Army.

They sent me to Fort Polk and let me throw grenades for free!
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the chemicals used in the explosives mainly.  I have been told RPGs can be had inside of $20 USD for ordinance (noteworthy portion are duds) and the launcher slightly more.  NFA tax per piece makes the very limited things available to us highly cost inneffective.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Some states allow you to buy DDs like grenades and RPG rounds. The only draw back is, you have to detonate them on the day you receive them. Also each device requires a 200 dollar NFA stamp.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do what I did.

I joined the Army.

Army service is not free, you are thier asset and property.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Based off a 2003 press release the Army paid about 24 bucks each for 611,000 M67s.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Another thread got me thinking.
How much would Grenades cost?
How about RPGs?

Before I die, One of my goals is to toss a grenade. Not CS, or Flash bangs(though they would be cool)

this is the thread that got me thinking
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=465849

Tannerite is legal and more fun IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Based off a 2003 press release the Army paid about 24 bucks each for 611,000 M67s.

yeah, but you gotta figure they are getting a quantity discount
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do what I did.

I joined the Army.

I see that your "Humor Meter" is set for zero today.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do what I did.

I joined the Army.

I see that your "Humor Meter" is set for zero today.

Sorry!  I'd rather have legal ordinance that is my own, not taxpayer property.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

An admirable goal.  Everyone should have a goal in life.  

May I suggest you alter your goal to firing 40mm HE?  I've never been very thrilled with frags.  It's rather difficult to watch them explode, which is part of the whole experience.  Now a Mk 19, on the other hand... That's just good clean fun.  (And outstanding for crowd control.)    
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do what I did.

I joined the Army.

Hey - I took Basic and AIT at North Fort (class of '74)

(What a hole that place was...)
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Do what I did.

I joined the Army.

Actually, they PAID you to throw that grenade! $0.14/hr, no less!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's what the government pays:

M67 frag - $27.38 each (source)

AT-4 - $1,504.47 each (source)

LAW - $2,244.72 each (source)

Claymore - $188.53, plus $4.82 for the bandolier (source)

Of course, in these days of $500 hammers, the true cost is probably a fraction of that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do what I did.

I joined the Army.

That's before taxes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Of course, in these days of $500 hammers, the true cost is probably a fraction of that.

For some reason thoes prices don't seem outragous. Not within my ammo budget but I'm not fighting againts armor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For some reason thoes prices don't seem outragous. Not within my ammo budget but I'm not fighting againts armor.

I agree.  Of course, those are basically the "Sam's Club" prices, since they're based on buying huge-a$$ quantities.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#17]
<this answer banned by arfcom>
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.  Of course, those are basically the "Sam's Club" prices, since they're based on buying huge-a$$ quantities.  

I'm a Sam's club small busines member. Anyone up for a group buy?
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do what I did.

I joined the Army.

That's before taxes.

Probably the only time I was ever worth what they paid me, too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do what I did.

I joined the Army.

That's before taxes.

Probably the only time I was ever worth what they paid me, too.

Way to stick it to the man!!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to do ammunition inspection for forward-deployed munitions bunkers.

IIRC, back then a grenade cost around $8.50.  

Seriously.
But that was back in 1996.

Of course, the posts above make me question my own memory.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I've seen grenade simulators explode and while the noise and aftereffects were cool, I wouldn't pay more than $20 to do it even if I was throwing the damned thing.

Just not that impressive.

Now if it was a Javelin launch or something THAT would be cool.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've seen grenade simulators explode and while the noise and aftereffects were cool, I wouldn't pay more than $20 to do it even if I was throwing the damned thing.

Just not that impressive.

Now if it was a Javelin launch or something THAT would be cool.

The sad part is that, if you're watching your own grenade exploding, you're doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Some states allow you to buy DDs like grenades and RPG rounds. The only draw back is, you have to detonate them on the day you receive them. Also each device requires a 200 dollar NFA stamp.

Is that true or BS?
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Do what I did.

I joined the Army.

+1 Troop.

Grenades are the shit! lol

I remember crouching in the ready pit waiting for my turn to throw and hearing something like ARTILERY going off!!! LOL  KA-BOOOOOOM!!!

When I got into the pit I was scared shitless! lol

"Pull pin,"
"Prepare to throw"
"Throw!"

You betcha! lol

Them thangs are DANGEROUS!
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do what I did.

I joined the Army.

+1 Troop.

Grenades are the shit! lol

I remember crouching in the ready pit waiting for my turn to throw and hearing something like ARTILERY going off!!! LOL  KA-BOOOOOOM!!!

When I got into the pit I was scared shitless! lol

"Pull pin,"
"Prepare to throw"
"Throw!"

You betcha! lol

Them thangs are DANGEROUS!

Threw the simulateds, threw one live HG, and the Drill Sergeants let me pin on the Expert Grenade badge! wo0T!
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#27]
AT-4s cost approx. $20k...each. keep in mind that those are one-time only use, unless you're using the training flare-rounds (don't remember what those are called). pricey, but worth it.

edit= hmm. another post says at-4 cost a lot less than what i said....i've heard thais 20k from a dozen of ncos and other people. hmm.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#28]
You should be able to find a RPG in the black market for around $1000 USD or so I heard. Not in America though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#29]
go to china as a tourist. i think outside of bejing there is a place where you can do a lot of what you want. Dont know about the grenades but you cand do rpgs, and all the light and heavy mgs and i think some crew served weapons. there was a show about it several years ago.

china has tons of excess arms. it was pretty cheap from what i remember. i guess its fairly easy to go there as a tourist. i had a frend spent a month touring china. he had a tender the whole time but he went all over the place and took pictures (pro photographer on vacation but taking stock photos so's he could write the trip off as an expense).
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#30]
1.  Go to Knob Creek.  

2.  Start asking your friends who ETS'ed.  

3.  Do community service/help your local armed force recruiters.  Let them know what your goal is.  Everyone knows someone who knows someone.

4.  Take a vacation to a semi-stable formerly hell torn country (Not so much Cambodia anymore, but Afghanistan and a few others ...and there's North Korea if you don't mind getting red-flagged) and use ordnance there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Depends on the chemicals used in the explosives mainly.  I have been told RPGs can be had inside of $20 USD for ordinance (noteworthy portion are duds) and the launcher slightly more.  NFA tax per piece makes the very limited things available to us highly cost inneffective.

You could always try to get an ordinance passed that would allow you to own such ordnance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
go to china as a tourist. i think outside of bejing there is a place where you can do a lot of what you want. Dont know about the grenades but you cand do rpgs, and all the light and heavy mgs and i think some crew served weapons. there was a show about it several years ago.

china has tons of excess arms. it was pretty cheap from what i remember. i guess its fairly easy to go there as a tourist. i had a frend spent a month touring china. he had a tender the whole time but he went all over the place and took pictures (pro photographer on vacation but taking stock photos so's he could write the trip off as an expense).

+1 on China, Shanghai
I once did translation for a guy who wanted to have the whole experience.
RPG's, FA, mortars, even driving tanks over cars, was allowed to use the co-axle gun, but not the main one

Was about $2500 IIRC about 3 years ago.
The most interesting thing about it for me was that it was run by the People's Liberation Navy.
They said that they inspect rich people's yachts and pleasure cruisers for smuggling, if they don't find anything, they launch their sales pitch.

Spreading capitalism to the commie's one by one
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Man I can't believe a LAW cosnts mor than an AT-4...

At those prices I'd have a case of grenades and a case of claymores.  I'd take out a loan for a box of AT-4s.  4 to a box IIRC
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Man I can't believe a LAW cosnts mor than an AT-4...

At those prices I'd have a case of grenades and a case of claymores.  I'd take out a loan for a box of AT-4s.  4 to a box IIRC

I think it must be because we buy so many more AT-4's than LAW's.  They're probably making the LAW's on the same machinery that's been used for 3+ decades, and it would get expensive keeping that stuff up for a few hundred rockets a year.
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#36]
no fuckin way an AT 4 is only 1500 bucks.  The figure I've heard quoted many many times was in the neighborhood of eleven thousand bucks.

And grenade sims are absolutely nothing like a grenade.  grenades make much louder booms and are a bit more impressive to a new private .  I've thrown a couple but the MK19 was more fun
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I was told by an reformed Gang banger that you can get Grenades on the Gila River Reservation for about $100.00 a piece.  No way in hell would I buy one off the black market.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top