Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2001 2:48:38 PM EDT
Does anyone here own (or has previously owned)a Taurus handgun that can say good/bad/or indifferent things about them??  I just checked out a .454 casual (and exactly HOW is "casual" pronounced guys?)Taurus Raging Bull at my local dealer and boy, it sure seems impressive!  Comments are appreciated!!  Heres the link:

[url]http://www.taurususa.com/m454.html[/url]

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't own a Taurus wheel gun but do own a Taurus PT99. I have owned this pistol since 1992 when I bought it used and it has never jammed or malfunctioned in any way. Taurus has a lifetime warranty, but if my pistol is any indication you wont need it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Upon further review..........
EXACTLY RIGHT RAF!!!!!! [rolleyes]

BUT...... If I knew anything about this round (like the pronounciation(or the spelling))IT WOUD REALLY REALLY HELP ME!!!!!!!
....... but once AGAIN how is it pronounced? AND.. IS IT THE KILLEREST

Thanks HONEY!!!!!!!!

Nuckles!       [smash]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
There's one in the movie alien nation.

In the movie they pronounce it kah-sool
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had a PT92 (Fixed sights) for 10+ years. It shot to the left about 3" at 15 Yards so i sent it back. They replaced the barrel and polished the action slick as goose S@#T. They sent it back all fixed and gave me the old barrel also. It only faled once (Stove pipe) on a very weak reload that I was working up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I own and still have a taurus revolver in 357 Magnum.  I consider it to be a very reliable gun.  As scottsw1 said they do have a lifetime warranty but with the performance I recieve I don't believe I shall ever need it for this one either.  As for the 454 round, unless you are using it for hunting I would stick with a 44 magnum.  The last price I saw for 454 cartriges was about $25 for 20 rounds.  While it may be a very considerable round it's not something I would want to feed at the range year round.  As for reports on performance, I would and do plan on buying more from taurus.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Cost aside, how BAD is this round?????

Nuckles.  ?????????????[smash]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My Taurus 99 has over 1000 thru it with no probs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
 In short this round is the baddest "commercially loaded" pistol round available.

It is a pistol cartridge loaded to rifle pressures  50,000 psi. the 44 mag is only loaded to 35,000 psi. The bullets for full power ammo had to be specially designed so as not to obturate between the cylinder and barrel and create a pressure spike.

Raf is right in that the .500 Linebaugh is more powerful in terms of foot pounds of energy, but you need a custom gun and handloaded ammo to shoot it.

One nice thing about the Casull is that you can use 45 Colt ammo in the gun also for practice ammo.  This is the same principle as .357 & .38.

After you shoot some "Full House" loads through the Casull you will probbabaly end up shooting mostly .45 colt for cost and comfort.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my Taurus 454 Cus, It will shot through 3 cinder blocks at 20 yard's or an 8" oak knot and 1 cinder block behind it. I have loaded up some 335gr LBT with 25grn's of H110.WOW, What a load,recoil is not to bad But if you load 45 colt in it, It's a pussycat. I like the full loads for finding out how it will react in hunting conditions. I got an 8 3/8" barrel, A little long for hunting but who cares.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a PT99 that I put at least a couple of thousand rounds through, with not one malfunction.

It even functioned some very reduced power loads that I had made to practice malfunction clearing.  These loads would not function in the S&W, Ruger, and Browning that we had, but the Taurus fed them with no problems.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I just bought a model 94, .22 revolver, I haven't shot it yet, it is well  made, the DA is alittle heavy, but the SA seems good. THey are made on S&W machines except that they have made some serious improvements. Several tears ago tey were so so in quality, but more than make up for it now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Good God  how times have changed.  I was a gunsmith in Beaufort SC back in 1973.  The Taurus was a "Saturday Night Special" made of "pot" metal.  Only a security guard would carry one and many did.  Anybody that knew anything about guns considered the Taurus a POS.
Now days Taurus is a gun considered by many to be top of the line.  I lost time for guns after I left the service, ya know getting the career going and raising a family.  In the last five years of so I have gotten back into guns.  Now I see Taurus all over the place.  I still do not own one but will look them over soon.  Times have changed.

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I also had one in the early 70's It was a TOTAL POS. I keep hearing about how good the modern ones are, but I am troubled by the fact that whenever I go to a gunshow The main Taurus dealer there has half a table of "reconditioned" guns Whats up with that? Why do they need  reconditioning?
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 908 autoloader, works great, I bought it used, I can hit <3" groups offhand @ 25 yards with 124g Gold Dots.  

Taurus does stand behind their stuff wether you are the origional owner or not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a toris m85t in .38.

[img]www.mcuzi.com/imbroglio/38target.jpg[/img]
25 feet, .38 +p Remington 158gr SWCHP
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I have owned a PT-101 for 8 years now and in that time have put about a thousand or so rounds threw it. A few months I experinced FTE empties. I down loaded a repair form off the net and shipped it and 2 of the diffrent brand mags I use to them. I included in the form that the problem occured with diffrent brands and that it would start to pull the brass but it would occasionaly fail to make it out of the chamber. Three and a half weeks later it was back (no free mags like I was hoping!) I put a couple hundred rounds threw it that evening without a single problem, good enough for me. I only wish they hand informed me what they had done to correct the problem, and if it was simple enough I would have the parts on hand to fix it myself next time. As far as accuratcy goes it gets a big thumbs up, and the sights are pretty good too. I would not think twice about buying another.[uzi]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a .454 Raging Bull about a year ago...
Only one word to describe it...

AWESOME !!!
A definate MUST HAVE if you like the biggest and baddest toys [:D]

Only reason for getting rid of it was the Black coated finish would scratch easily...
I traded it on an AR-15 [:D]

I'm looking for another one, but in natural stainless this time...

The barrel porting really tames down the HOT .454 Casull...

It shoots like a 629 S&W .44 mag.

Put .45 long Colts in it and it'll shoot like a .38 Special.  

Winchester makes a bunch of different loads for the .454
They usually run about a buck or so a shot...

Just buy it,you know you wanna.[:)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#24]
God Nuckles,,,,,
It's hard to say something derogatory about a handgun on this board for fear of insulting somebody's baby!

But Fu@%it!

First-off, this has nothing to do with any other Taurus gun - the most reliable auto I've ever seen was a Taurus.

Bad news first.
I've owned one of their 454s for about two years & wore it to the point of being F@&*ed Up Beyond Repair! NO lead at all (Really strange things begin to happen when you use lead, or normal (thin) copper jackets in that damned caliber). No reloads at all. No practicing with 45-LC (That may be good, or bad - I don't know).
I wore the damned gun out, that's nobody's fault but mine.
I'm guessing you already know that there's nothing very pleasant about shooting this wheelgun at all, not by anyone's definition!

The good?
I think they're (multiple point) lockup system is a better idea than most, even if you DO need three hands - I think I got 2,000 extra rounds out of that alone (Although I suspect Ruger could've made it tougher with the same # of identical parts).
JMO, of course - but this Fudermucker should've been made BY Ruger, or S&W to start with (yeah, yeah - I know!).... then you'd have SOMETHING!).
Hunting?
PHUCK, it's as serious as you're gona get with a handgun! I've taken black bear, brown bear, deer, one Bullwinkle, a couple PUs of wild hogs with it, & I swear to god - I HAVE NEVER needed a 2nd shot to be "humane," NOT EVER.
I'm not too cheap to be humane - that kinda crap really bothers me (& I hope it always will), I'll empty the "other" $20 in the cylinder to end 20 seconds of pain (YES! - "Top of the line" hunting ammo does cost that much for a "454").

I've done it both ways, & of course this IS  JMO.

If you want bragging rights - the Taurus is fine.
If you want a wallhanger - the Taurus is fine,,, AMOF it's a [u]good looking[/u] revolver.
If you're going to use it a few times a year for practice (w 45LC), & hunt once, or twice using the "real stuff," the Taurus should do just fine.

[u]But,[/u]
If you're going to use the son of a bitch hard, and like meat, never plan on becoming a vegetarian, expect a revolver to last at least as long as you - without EVER seeing a (master) gunsmith again, or will ever have to bet your ass on a handgun for BigBlack/BrownBear, hell any BigBlack/Brown denizens...
Then,
PLEASE spend the extra four, or five hundred for a Bowen.  
It's cheaper!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Final Cut, how many rounds did it take for you to wear out your Taurus .454?

If that was all factory ammo, you spent a small fortune on it!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#26]
For the record: I could also put .45LC (long colt, right?)through it? What is the difference between the .45LC and .45ACP?  Can you put .45LC through it?

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Overall Taurus stuff of newer manufacture is pretty good, at least as good as the other big names and better than Ruger IMHO.

I had the Raging Bull in 454, loved it.  I sold two years back to get my favorite handgun, My IMI Desert Eagle in .50AE the biggest baddest auto-loader there is.

I'm slowy saving up to get another Raging Bull, That shelf in my gun safe reserved for B.F.G.s is lonely.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Thank you thebeekeeper1!!  A rimless case! DUH!  A simple answer to what now seems to be a stupid question!!!  As for the recoil, I shoot my .357magnum every weekend (I think it's my favorite of all my pistols) and my buddys .44mag almost as much.  I am very comfortable with both.  I think I just need to "feel the power" of the real deal!!!

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a PT99 Taurus and it's a good shooter. It has an appetite for hotter loads.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Beekeeper!  WOW!  Those are some SERIOUS wheelguns!! [smash]  I just checked out [url]www.freedomarms.com[/url]  They even look pricey! 2G's for the Premier Grade .454!! I appreciate your input, it gives me something to think about, like another JOB!!  

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#33]
....and btw, whats with the disclaimer on their webpage: NO FREEDOM ARMS REVOLVERS ARE INTENDED FOR SALE OR USE IN THE STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS!

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#36]
GEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!  LUCKY MASSACHUSETTS!!  All of us poor saps are stuck with the "dumb guns!!" [rolleyes]

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#37]
According to Casull Arms it's "Ka-sull,  the "a" has a short sound and the "u" is long".

I own several Taurus guns and have had no problems. I do not have their .454 ( I have a Freedom Arms and a Ruger though)

Freedom Arms does not sell In Taxachusetts, because the have an extensive drop test requirement, and FA did not what to trash thousands of dollars in firearms to pass it. Remember this is a fairly small company.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#39]
It's the bestes gun I have ever held. It is [b]the[/b] gun I will never part with. It is hard to believe how bad  my other guns look in comparison.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a stainless steel Taurus Tracker in .41 magnum.  I shoots Great!  The ribbed grips and ported barrel really help make the recoil manageable.

David
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#41]
"As to bragging rights to most powerful wheelgun cartridge, I believe it's the .500 Linebaugh"

That Rush is one bad mother! [):)]

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm happy with my PT92C. Love those hicap mags!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, I'm listening.... and starting to druel.  I guess the future of my next purchase is set.
[img]http://taurususa.com/pix/454chromelg.gif[/img]

Nuckles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top