Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2001 8:20:28 PM EDT
Afetr I shot my Galil, I found ever shell come out from my gun has dent on it and  You can see the dent on the shell from the picture. I really don't know what's wrong with my Galil, and why the shell comes out from my Galil like this. I even changed a new bolt, but didn't work. Can anyone telles me what's wrong with my Galil and how to fix it. Thanks
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1480553&a=11151255&p=53229554&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll admit that looks horrible, but if yer Galil continues to work, what makes you think anything is wrong with it?  Yer brass might not agree of course . . .

Obviously the brass is hitting something pretty violently on its way out, I would guess the bolt handle.  See any brass marks on the bolt handle?
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are barely scratched! Mine does that sweet "S" dent and also collapses the neck...!
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi AR15USA [:)]

i've owned several Kalishnikovs and one of them, a Norinco NHM-91 did the same thing. though Norinco kind of sucks i miss that rifle. it was very accurate for an AK and always functioned flawlessly. that is except for the dented brass (and steel case too, but not as much)

im sorry i do not know how to fix the problem, but if you use wolf ammo, then it wont matter because you cant reload steel case. i agree that it is bad to excuse something away, but acquiring parts for a Galil is hard.

you may try a recoil buffer from Buffer Technologies. this may reduce the violent action of the bolt carrier and might not throw the cases so hard. or perhaps a new recoil spring.

Galilless lib
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]
There is nothing wrong with your Galil. Mine does the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Best way to fix that would be to trade me for one of my SAR-1's. They dont dent the cases. And ill even throw in a couple NIW mags for ya. [:D]            Anyone know where i could find one for sale? i heard there are only a Few Prebans out there and i have never heard of anyone with a post banner.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
That's normal for the Galil to eject the brass that rough.  Remember the rifle is design for the utmost realiablity under the worst conditions.  Reloading brass was not in the minds of the powers-to-be.  Hell, my HKs and FNC does the same thing.  The only thing that would prevent the excessive dents in the brass is a ejection port buffer that is made for HK rifles.  Maybe you can design something that cushions the ejection without altering the firearm.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#7]
It's normal.  The case is hitting the top cover on it's way out.  I suggest putting some electrical tape on the leading edge, or installing some of Ticonderoga's famous buffer material.

[url]www.mousepadintobuffer.homestead.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
This is an 'AK' trait, and is a common occurance, but some do it worse than others. There is nothing wrong with your Galil at all.

Good shooting!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine did the same thing. It lets you count how many times you reloaded the brass.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:46:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Same for mine, you'll have to remember that the military designers of AKs and such are simply not worried about the reloading capabilities of the brass ejected from their weaponry.

Eric The(Dented)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:18:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Unlike the AR, have you noticed that the AK, the FAL and the Galil ejected the shell forward? I think that is due to the empty shell when ejected, hit the back rim of the ejection port and went forward.  I got all my shells dented when I shot my FAL, Galil or AK.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:26:06 AM EDT
[#12]
completely normal.

if you want a valmet rubber ejection buffer (similar to that found on an ar) get ahold of ekie at   [email protected]

he has one for sale that will save your brass.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you very much, guys!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes they are correct.  AKs absoulutely kick the empties into the topcover.  It is not as noticable on steel cased ammo since it is much stronger, but brass really shows the impact!  You should see what a VEPR .308 does to brass.

Here is the Valmet Buffer solution they are talking about.  Of course, if you don't reload, it's not a problem.

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192182&a=1409106&p=48016868&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192182&a=1409106&p=53242143&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top