Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 6:13:43 AM EDT
Is this Stiker's doin again?

[size=4][center][b]Gun-law foe posts officials' photos on Web[/size=4][/center][/b]

[b][i]Shooter denies any threat implied
[/b][/i]
Tim Naumetz
The Ottawa Citizen

An Ottawa sport shooter who vehemently opposes the federal government's controversial gun law has posted photographs of Canadian Firearms Centre employees on his gun-lobby Web site, followed by a sobering picture of a deadly .50-calibre sniper's rifle.

Even though the photographs are accompanied by the names, telephone numbers and workplace addresses of the employees, the gun owner who posted them, Tom Zinck, a Canadian Alliance organizer in the last federal election, denies they are intended as a threat or intimidation.

Mr. Zinck says he simply put the photos on his Web page to help gun owners contact the firearms centre.

"A lot of people have been dealing with these people over the phone and it's always nice to put a picture to a voice, that was sort of why I did it," Mr. Zinck, who owns a .45-calibre handgun and several rifles and shotguns, said in an interview.

"I had a lot of people contacting myself, asking 'who do I contact, what's the phone number, who do I contact to get help?' " he explained. "So I thought I would put it up."

Asked why he followed the photo series up with a picture of a powerful .50-calibre rifle, Mr. Zinck replied: "It's a really cool rifle." He acknowledged the gun on his site is configured as a sniper's rifle, single-shot, with a stand and a scope, and that the rifle, while legal for civilian ownership, is useless for hunting because its armour-piercing bullets would pulverize any prey.

Despite Mr. Zinck's statement that he posted the photographs to help gun owners deal with the bureaucracy of the new licensing system, his site identifies the firearms staff as people working "behind the scenes." A government official confirmed the employees do not generally deal with the public.

The Web site is eerily similar to inflammatory anti-abortionist Web sites in the United States that targeted doctors who performed abortions and have been seen as death or injury threats.

Still, neither police nor federal Justice Department officials have asked Mr. Zinck about the site over the two years it has existed. He says he photographed the Firearms Centre employees while they were at an information booth the centre set up at a fair near Cornwall.

Mr. Zinck, a computer software engineer who worked for Nortel Networks until he was laid off last January, said his computer has logged RCMP and Justice Department computers entering the site daily since he set it up.

An aide to Justice Minister Anne McLellan said Ms. McLellan was unaware of the site until told about it by a reporter this week. Press aide Farah Mohamed said Ms. McLellan is "obviously concerned" about the material on the site. "Having just learned about it, and obviously being concerned about it, we are determining what the next steps are," added Mr. Mohamed.

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:20:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is the link to his web site. I haven't had a chance to look through what he has there yet.

[url]http://www.comnet.ca/~tzinck/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]
As you can see from just this piece of the article, the "Ottawa Citizen" is so far left it is about to fall off.  

"A sobering picture of a deadly .50-calibre sniper rifle."  Give me a break.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
From article:He acknowledged the gun on his site is configured as a sniper's rifle, single-shot, with a stand and a scope, and that the rifle, while legal for civilian ownership, is useless for hunting because its armour-piercing bullets would pulverize any prey.

View Quote

. . . or punch a nice, neat half-inch hole through them that would result in a slow death, without "pulverize[ing] any prey."  They just can't miss a chance to spew bravo sierra propaganda.  Ironically, I just bought one of these.  [b]The Ottawa Citizen[/b]--here's to ya [-!-]
View Quote

Proves their idiocy.

I like this one:

[b]"A lot of people have been dealing with these people over the phone and it's always nice to put a picture to a voice, that was sort of why I did it," Mr. Zinck, who owns a .45-calibre handgun and several rifles and shotguns, said in an interview.
[/b]

It's neat how they mention his "arsenal" and evil handgun after a quote from him regarding the officials.  Pretty sneaky.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
From article:He acknowledged the gun on his site is configured as a sniper's rifle, single-shot, with a stand and a scope, and that the rifle, while legal for civilian ownership, is useless for hunting because its armour-piercing bullets would pulverize any prey.

View Quote

. . . or punch a nice, neat half-inch hole through them that would result in a slow death, without "pulverize[ing] any prey."  They just can't miss a chance to spew bravo sierra propaganda.  Ironically, I just bought one of these.  [b]The Ottawa Citizen[/b]--here's to ya [-!-]
View Quote

Uh, or it could be loaded with lead round ball loads at 2K fps.  Same ballistics as a flintlock and perfectly usable on game without 'pulverizing'.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As you can see from just this piece of the article, the "Ottawa Citizen" is so far left it is about to fall off.  

"A sobering picture of a deadly .50-calibre sniper rifle."  Give me a break.
View Quote

Strangely enough, the Citizen's editorial stance is usually opposed to C-68.  Dunno if this signals a shift in policy or is just a one-timer...
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably just the author, then.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No can't take credit for that. Not sure if I would want to. Publishing peoples personal info on the internet without their consent is probably not a wise move. IMHO this will do us more harm then good. You know what view the anti's will take of it. The fact he worked as a campaign organizer for the Canadian Alliance is almost as good as a "not guilty by reason of insanity plea".
View Quote

No information is personal when you're a public figure. Ask Bill Klinton.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://www.comnet.ca/~tzinck/atf2.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top