Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2001 7:09:48 PM EDT
On friday I was walking my 13 yo,Shepard. He is the nicest dog, and suffering fom cancer. As we got the mail, my new American Rifleman, was in it. A neighbor's 3 yo male pit bull broke free from here. She has a weak personality, and can not control the dog. Several of us have told her she should get it a new home, to which she has said she has considered it.
Well I knocked the dog off mine once nad it attacked again, it attacked again and I grabbed it by the neck and picked it up.
The owner came and is upset because I want the dog put down as it is vicious. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
File a complaint with the police, then if it happens again, I would have to kill the dog.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If nothings done, the next time you walk bye, throw the dog a nice piece of steak with rat poison!
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a couple of issues here.

First of all, your neighbor (and pit bull owner) is obviously a bit irresponsible. Bad pit bull owners give the breed a bad name. But at the same time, there are alot of vicious dogs of other breeds, or unknown breed, that cause way more problems. The very name "pit bull" conjures bad feelings. When in reality, it is one of those cases of if you throw enough crap at it....

On the other hand, having shitty neighbors with a dog they can't control is a real bummer.

One thing you have to understand about pits, they are usually very people friendly, but HATE other dogs. Or other animals for that matter.

The problem here is with the owner.

I am a pit bull owner myself, and am resposible about it. I do it because I love my dog.

But at the same time, if this is a dog that isn't attacking people, I'm not sure that putting it down is the way to go.

Dogs will be dogs. I've had a big lab attack one of my pits before, and I don't think anybody would have called for putting it down.

I've seen alot of neighborhood dogs who were bullies, and almost none of them were pits. Yet they lived long and happy lives.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys good advice. I was nicked in the attack, so technically the dog has to be put down. I feel bad for the dog, it owner was the irresponsible one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Your not wrong. Irresposible dog owners a bad news.

A guy who lives afew houses down from me with a pitbull. Anytime someone walks in front of his house, this f*cking dog jumps out of nowhere and starts barking. One day my sister-in-law was walking past the house and the dog got out, he grabbed my sister-in-law, who was six months pregnet, by the hand and started shaking violently. She ended up in the ER and recieve eleven stitches.

I wasn't home at the time. When I found out, I went down to the house where the pitbull was. I told the owner, if I was with her when this happened, your dog would be dead with a .45 in his head. We have complained over and over about this guy. I can't wait till he attackes again.  [uzi]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you report it? when a dog attacks a person, it is usually putdown, or just sue them for their house, then wthey have to move.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with the comments made by [b]seamusmcoi[/b]. I have had a lot of experience with American Pit Bull Terriers (it's a hobby of mine). I am really sorry about what had happened to your dog, and I am glad that there were no serious injuries.

It is your neighbor who is responsible. Please do not blame this animal.

There is a good chance that it was not even a "real" Pit Bull - if it was, things would probably have been much, much worse. A true "Game Bred" APBT is the most lethal dog on the planet - bar none. It is a tragedy that these wonderful animals have been labeled as being so terrible (just like all of us who love our ARs, AKs & HKs).

Tyler

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#9]
BTW [b]Maynard[/b] just for info (no flame) American Pit Bull Terriers do not have an "egg" shaped head. You must have seen a Bull Terrier [url]http://www.puppydogweb.com/caninebreeds/bullter.htm[/url].

These dogs are often mistaken for APBTs [url]http://www.sporting-dog.com/photos/butkus.jpg[/url].

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Maynard, My intimate experience with Bull Terriors have only been with the Stafordshire breed and they all lead the leash. It is because they like to roam around and hate leashes. Their tongues hang out because they are thirsty or content.  

Although, I do have to say that my friends Bitch won't let any other animal near me, but she will love any animal that gets around my friends. And she is a brindle by the way.

Edited* Tylerdurden* That is a Stafordshire Bull Terrier.

I do have to agree with you that if any canine bites a person contiuously; it should be put down.

Of course, it all comes down to how the breed was raised, it does not matter if it was a poodle or a mutt.

Alex  
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On friday I was walking my 13 yo,Shepard. He is the nicest dog, and suffering fom cancer. As we got the mail, my new American Rifleman, was in it. A neighbor's 3 yo male pit bull broke free from here. She has a weak personality, and can not control the dog. Several of us have told her she should get it a new home, to which she has said she has considered it.
Well I knocked the dog off mine once nad it attacked again, it attacked again and I grabbed it by the neck and picked it up.
The owner came and is upset because I want the dog put down as it is vicious. Am I wrong?
View Quote

The dog, as you describe it  is aggressive, but not vicious.  Vicious, or "Bad" pit bulls bore in on a dog, lock on, and don't let go.  I own a "good" pit bull, and I can tell you that he wouldn't hurt another dog or cat or squirrel, unless provoked.  Tell her to get rid of the dog.  Give it to a friend, or relative who doesn't live near-by.  If she doesn't comply, so be it. Do what you have to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top