Posted: 8/18/2001 6:04:05 PM EDT
My vote is Angelos in Ft. Worth

The best chopped beef brisket sandwhich in all the land. [:P]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Abso-F'n-lutely!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I agree that...burp...Angelos in FoatWuth is great, but so is the BBQ at Clark's Outpost up in Tioga (Home of Gene Autry) Texas!

Dean Fearing, head chef at The Mansion on Turtle Creek, once said that he didn't understand barbeque until he ate it at Clark's Outpost.

It's a purty fur piece to drive from Plano, but I never lack for takers when I say let's go to Tioga!  And trust me it's the ONLY reason to go to Tioga.[:D]

Eric The(CourseMyBrotherMakesAPrettyGoodBrisket,Too)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard the same thing about the place in Tioga. That must be some good shit cause Ive heard it from several different people.

I don't really care for brisket, I want some RIBS!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
They got 'em at Clark's Outpost. And quail as appetizers!

I hate to even mention it 'cause of all the...er...others, but they are the ONLY joint I know that has 'Mountain Oysters' on the menu!

Not that there's anything wrong with that![:D]

Eric The(It'sJustI'mNotCoolWithThat!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes, I agree that...burp...Angelos in FoatWuth
Eric The(CourseMyBrotherMakesAPrettyGoodBrisket,Too)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Yep, that is the proper pro-nun-c-a-tion of my fav-or-ite town. AKA "Cowtown" !!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Guess I'll have to head over there pretty soon.

Not too many places serve quail either, which I really enjoy. I did have some at Nick & Sams in Dallas not too long ago though. That place has some great steaks too.

Michael
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't really care for brisket, I want some RIBS!
View Quote

[b]BEEF BBQ IS BRISKET[/B]

But [b]RIBS IS PORK[/B]

Yum Yum Yum!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey [b]M1A-A1[/b]!

I used to have a bumper sticker that read:

[size=4]Foat Wuth I Luv Yew![/size=4]

Next time I'm there, I'll see if I can get you one![>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I went to a place in Austin 12 years ago that I can't recall the name of. It was so damn good I thought I was going to squirt. [:D]
If any a Y'all could be so kind as ta gimme some names I could prolly member E-it.

Coversix
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Post from Coversix-
If any a Y'all could be so kind as ta gimme some names I could prolly memberE-it.
View Quote

Could it possibly be 'County Line Barbecue'?

There's one on the Lake that I go to, it's the best I think in Austin.

Edited to add link to Austin BBQ restaurants -
[url]http://austin.citysearch.com/search?type=grid&flavor_id=2&cw1=11&histoindex_left=cw1&sorted=rank-desc&histo_name=Barbecue&cslink=cs_filter1[/url]

Eric The(HopefullyHelpful)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey [b]M1A-A1[/b]!

I used to have a bumper sticker that read:

[size=4]Foat Wuth I Luv Yew![/size=4]

Next time I'm there, I'll see if I can get you one![>]:)]
View Quote

EricTheHun,

Thank you my brother,

I had one too, I believe my wife probably threw it away yrs ago.

Dang, I sure do miss it !!!

I will be visiting my folks in November, along with my young'est boy for my dads 71st b-day the week pryor to THANKSGIVING.

I'll be presenting a CAV-15 rifle with a special serial # to my Dad!!!

I've already contacted Don R ,and come Hell or High Water (but of course Jesus Rules) I will have a bbq sandwich from [b]ANGELOS[/b]

P.S. have you thought about the name [b]ANGELOS[/b] [O:)]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Kreuz in Lockart, Texas and Cooper's in Round Rock & Llano.

County Line??? Nice restaurant, but best BBQ?  No way!  
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll 2nd that for Clarks. There is another place just a little bit north on there on hwy 377 in Sandusky that aint bad either. I like Sonny Bryants but wont go there because most of them post no CCW signs. BoneDaddys in Richardson is pretty good too. The scenery of the wait staf makes up for anything the BBQ might lack. [:P]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
My Backyard!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Tioga (Home of Gene Autry) Texas!
View Quote

Except he grew up and spent all of his formative years in Sapulpa, Oklahoma and began his entertainment career in Tulsa and Oklahoma City (WKY radio). BTW, is Sonny Bryan's any good?
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#16]
There's a BBq place in Taylor, can't think of the name, a block down from Rudy's that has THE BEST IN TEXAS, plus it's one of the cheapest BBQ prices around, (BUT if you want sausage, you gotta go to Southide Market in Elgin)
KenS
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 1:34:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I seem to recall Black's, just South of San Marcos, what's the place in Hempstead right on the 290? Then there is the place on Kirby just south of the 59 in Houston. Been 10 years since I left Houston and Texas, already forgetting the names of the best places to eat BBQ, but I could still drive there!
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Rudy's, which has stores in Austin and San Antonio, Round Rock and New Braunfels has the best brisket, ever.

For overall "good barbecue," the Salt Lick in Buda ain't bad either.

Wherever you visit in Texas, there is always a good barbecue joint within a ten minute drive. I think it is in the state constitution. God Bless Texas.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 1:51:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rudy's, which has stores in Austin and San Antonio, Round Rock and New Braunfels has the best brisket,
View Quote

Dood, you need to try something different, Rudy's uses the worst meat I've ever eaten. AND, He does advertise "the worst BBQ it TX, and he's right. If you ever get a chance, in Taylor, almost on the corner of 95 and 79, IS THE BEST.
last time I went to Rudys, I [puke]
Kens
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Kreuz in Lockart, Texas
View Quote

I don't know because the only time I have been in Texas was in an airport, but I have been told(hate to correct a Texan in his own backyard but,)Kruez's Market is the place to go.  I am going to make a special trip down there to eat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#21]
How can this ever be determined? While traveling through Texas last month about every  restaurant I passed was advertising "The Best Barbeque in Texas". From the state that brought you "Whataburger", I have to question their claims.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Goode Co., Houston
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Joe Allen's BBQ in Abilene TX.

- CD
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#24]
If you guys happen to come down the crossroads area, shoot me an email. There is a place here that is rated one of Texas Top Ten. The place is not much, but the food is to die for.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Post from Riddler -
If you guys happen to come down the crossroads area...
View Quote

Forgive my ignorance, Podner, but where is the 'crossroads' area? And what is the name of the BBQ joint to which you're alluding?

Heck, I might'a been there![:D]

Eric The(TexasIsPretty'Big'AfterAll!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Eric,

The Crossroads is the area in the middle of the 4 larger cities in Texas namely: Houston; San Antonio; Austin; and Corpus Christi.

I was referring to the place in Victoria, TX called [b]Brother's BBQ[/b].

As I have said, if you happen to be in the area on a Saturday, shoot me an email.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Lone Star Bar-B-Que in Brady,Texas is pretty darn good!
Jim Hall
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks, Riddler, I did not know that area was referred to as the 'Crossroads.'  You live, you learn.[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks, Riddler, I did not know that area was referred to as the 'Crossroads.'  You live, you learn.[>]:)]
View Quote

Pretty damn big area too.  I did not know that either.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Abso-F'n-lutely!!! [:D]
View Quote

I'm still waitin for a bottle of sauce for my collection!
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Either that or Stubbs'. They both ring a bell. Maybe I went to both. I...uh...was drinking quit alot of beer during my stay. [:)]
C6

Could it possibly be 'County Line Barbecue'?

There's one on the Lake that I go to, it's the best I think in Austin.

Edited to add link to Austin BBQ restaurants -
[url]http://austin.citysearch.com/search?type=grid&flavor_id=2&cw1=11&histoindex_left=cw1&sorted=rank-desc&histo_name=Barbecue&cslink=cs_filter1[/url]

Eric The(HopefullyHelpful)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Texas ?? BBQ ??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !!!!!

If you want BBQ, you go to [b]KANSAS CITY[/b], everything else is amateur night !!!!!

Gunrunner
View Quote

Yeah, I went to Kansas City once for about 10min. I got there, drank a Miller Lite and promptly left. Didn't see one BBQ place the whole time I was there either.....

Michael
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#34]
What was the name of that place that had a sign about every mile along route 66 for at least 50 miles??  This was in the late 60's.

Yeah, I tried it - so-so
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:13:35 AM EDT
[#35]
 You can't get decent BBQ in the city.  Come on out to the Big Bend Region of West Texas.  This is ranching land, and it is not done better anywhere else...

Try Shotgun Grill in Alpine, TX.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:21:09 AM EDT
[#36]
There's a drive-in BBQ joint in the old part of Wichita Falls called P2, or the Deuce to the locals. You pull in and open your windows, the waitress takes your order and brings your sliced brisket sammy, fried okra and cold Coors Light to your truck, and you eat right there in the driver's seat. You see police cars and mail trucks in there from time to time.

They have a bar inside where you can eat, but for the real P2 experience, you gotta eat behind the wheel.

Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Pappa's restaurant.  Lake Dallas, TX.  best BBQ sauce i've ever tasted!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pappa's restaurant.  Lake Dallas, TX.  best BBQ sauce i've ever tasted!
View Quote

Do they sell sauce by the bottle?
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#39]
hands down its davids bbq in arlington/pantego. 5 generations of bbq people. they started in oakcliff back in like 1912, man is it good...

which part of cowtown is angelo's in?
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Post from AR15Man -
which part of cowtown is angelo's in?
View Quote

It's in West Fort Worth in the 'Camp Bowie' area, here's their address and phone number:

Angelo's Barbecue
2533 White Settlement Road
817- 332-0357

Call ahead for directions if you need 'em![>]:)]

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#41]
I vote for Outlaw's BBQ in Wylie, although Clark's in Tioga is definitely worth the trip.  I had to try the Mountain Oysters as my wife challanged my manhood!  

A few (5 or 6) years ago, they built a Rudy's (worst BBQ in Texas) in Dallas.  I gave them 2 chances a couple of months apart.  They had the worst BBQ I've ever eaten.  They were gone about 6 months later, so someone else must have thought so too!

Edited causin' I can't spel.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#42]
OK, "Texas" BBQ now...

Angelo's is God's Own BBQ Joint.

A little out-of-the-way joint is Inmon's in either Lampasas or Burnet.  Inmon's has beef brisket, T-bones, thick pork chops, chicken, venison, turkey and more cooking at the same time.  You get a tray covered with butcher paper, pick out you own BBQ, cover the tray with as much meat as you can stand and pay for it by the pound.  Beans and bread are on the table.  It's a guy thing.

And don't forget iced-tea, the House Wine of the South.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Goode Co., Houston
View Quote

Ditto.  Brisket sandwich with jalepeno's and wash it down with a Shiner (or two)!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Yo, ChuckT,  what is it about Dallas that you can't get good BBQ here?  Thank goodness I didn't waste a meal at Rudy's.

And Sonny Bryan's?  Please!  Third rate roast beef covered by the WORST excuse for BBQ sauce known to man.  Tho' lots of folks swear by that place, I say they never enjoyed real BBQ.

I gladly drive 60 miles to Fort Worth to eat BBQ at Angelo's and steak at Reata.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I gladly drive 60 miles to Fort Worth to eat BBQ at Angelo's and steak at Reata.
View Quote

I'll be driving 1100 miles in November and you can be sure Angelo's is at the top of the list.

[:D]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#46]
eric thanks for the info, i will give it a shot.

and there isnt a reata anymore, that darn texas twister we had a couple of years ago messed it up pretty bad. but they are talking about putting it in sundance square where the old caravan of dreams bar used to be.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#47]
ARock, are you sure you were not at Coopers in Llano? Thats how they do it there and it is GOOD! They cut their pork chops the thickest I've ever seen. The food is very good but it's also just cool to be served that way. Damn, after thinking about that now I have to drive 5 and a half hours just to eat lunch!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There's a drive-in BBQ joint in the old part of Wichita Falls called P2, or the Deuce to the locals. You pull in and open your windows, the waitress takes your order and brings your sliced brisket sammy, fried okra and cold Coors Light to your truck, and you eat right there in the driver's seat. You see police cars and mail trucks in there from time to time.

They have a bar inside where you can eat, but for the real P2 experience, you gotta eat behind the wheel.

Jarhead out.
View Quote

I'd bet you know which corner table that Joe Brown and the other regulars ate dinner at also.  fullclip
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#49]
03shooter, YOU GOT IT!  Llano!  Couldn't remember the exact town.

Used to blow thru there on my WideGlide chop.  Turned west off 281 at Burnet just to eat at the joint.  Been three or so years.

The place is an old drive-in on the South side of the road.  Smokers are under the awning right outside the front door.  You just open them till you find what you want.  Has the name changed?

Gotta know.  It's a legend.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Arock, the name is still the same and the smokers are still there! Just tell them what you want and if you want sauce on it they dip it in the big pot right there on the smoker by the door. Let's go!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top