Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/17/2001 5:23:18 PM EDT
I need input. Correct me if I'm wrong. Rememver this all hypothetical and did not actually happen. Let's just say A man recently bought a long gun from me over the internet. Let me start by saying I'm not an ffl dealer, I am an individual. He sent me the info on the shop he used so I boxed up the gun and enclosed bill of sale info and sent it to the building. Anyhow the shop called me a said that they could not accept the gun without a copy of an ffl. I tried to explain to her that she did not need the ffl since I was an individual but she insisted that she did. I told her that it was just as though I came in off the street and sold them the used gun in such case they would not need an ffl since it was my personal firearm, but she would not listen. Maybe she was right, I don't know, that's what I'm here to find out. I checked my copy of the ATF rules and regulation book and saw nothing about it being illegal for and individual to send a gun to a licsensed dealer. By the way I do comply with all the rules of owning a firearm meaning I'm not a felon, illegal alien, crazy, or all the other stuff. Can someone with some adept knowledge of the subject give me some info.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:29:47 PM EDT
She was right! To send a firearm thrue the mail it must be shipped from one FFL to another. This does not apply to having a firearm shipped to a gunsmith for repairs etc. For a FFL to just take in a gun and sell it, the gun must go thrue a pawn period "10 Buisness days" so that the local Law Enforcment can run a check on the firearm to see if it was stolen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:32:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:57:46 PM EDT
First rule of business....C Y A!!!....[:)]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:11:34 PM EDT
David is correct. This PISSES me off something fierce--an FFL should know that they do not require a firearm (regardless of the type) to be shipped from another FFL. This has almost screwed a couple of deals for me, as the dealer I use is about an hour away. 1. A non-licensee can ship to a licensee in their own or other state. I can find NO requirement by the ATF for the person (non-lincensee) shipping to have a signed FFL before they ship--I generally ask for the 1st 3 and last 5 digits of their FFL, and verify it on the ATF website, print off the verification and attach it to the shipping receipt. If the dealer prefers to send an FFL, that is his option. 2. In one case, a dealer told me it was STATE law that it had to come from an FFL--that may be the case in a very few states, but not in most of them. 3. I generally ask the person buying the gun from me (or trading with me) to make sure his dealer will accept direct from me--because of previous problems I have had. FYI--From the ATF website (URL below quote): "B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the mails? A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his own State or to a licensee in any State. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer a handgun to a non licensed resident of another State. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. A carrier must be notified that the shipment contains a firearm. In addition, Federal law prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A) and 922(e), 27 CFR 178.31] [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/qanda.htm[/url]
Top Top