Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2001 5:28:34 AM EDT
I just got to thinking after reading a reply to my 'Landmark Legal Foundation' thread. When I was in school, our fight song was 'Dixie.' We got integrated by Senior Year, and 'Dixie' was played no more.

In the thirty years since then, I don't think I've heard 'Dixie' played by a band on more than four or five occasions.  And I've lived in the Old South for all of that period (if you can consider Texas a part of the 'Old South' as I do).

Lord, we sure have given up a lot of the things our fathers held near and dear.

I mean after all, after the unfortunate meeting at Appomattox, Abraham Lincoln requested that the band play 'Dixie' as one of his favorite tunes!

Heard it lately, I mean in public?  Surely they still play it in the Southeast Conference games?

Eric The(OhWell,ICanAlwaysJustWhistleIt!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't here it near enough.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Political correctness run amok
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Political correctness run amok
View Quote

Same thing happened to the correct version of "My old Kentucky home"
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#4]
All the time.  I have an instrumental version burned on a compilation CD.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I forget who it was that once remarked -

'You write the laws for a nation, I'll write the songs they sing, and we'll see who has the greater impact.'

Or words to that effect.

Eric The(CourseIt'sNotAsSimpleAsThat)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#6]
At the annual Confederate National Matches here in Ga at River Bend Gun Club (a great match come shoot it), the opening "colors" ceremony includes the 'Star Spangled Banner', followed by 'Dixie'. Plus, we fly both the stars and stripes and the stars and bars.

Fvck political "correctness". [-!-] It's about heritage, not hate.

Please read this : [url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,27606,00.html[/url]

Joe
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#7]
river bend is WAY too pricey for me.

as a harmonica-playing reenactor, i routinely practice while commuting, "dixie", "bonnie blue flag", "battle hymn of the republic" and "rally round the flag".

it's not just "dixie", i never hear ANY of them performed.

a remark by Santayana comes to mind....
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard it just this morning, like I do every morning.  My alarm clock plays it.  My cousin, who is a racist, bought the clock for me in an attempt to offend me.  The jokes on him, because I really do like the song.  Also, it's much more pleasant to wake-up to than buzzing or beeping.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#9]
lurker: you don't have to be a member to shoot matches at RBGC. Members pay the same as guests. $23 for highpower, and $15 for three 600 yd matches. To shoot all 3 days of the CN match is only $80, and that includes a fine t-shirt plus a great cookout.

$200/year is cheap for a WORLD CLASS RANGE. The $500 one-time initiation fee is what you're squawking about, I'm sure. Seems like we went round 'n round on the Ga HP BB on this topic anyway - is your name Dean? I can afford it, and it is worth every penny. Go shoot with the yahoos at a 100 yd DNR range if you want. Wear some kevlar.

If you want to shoot RBGC as my guest some day, the invitation still stands. Email me off-line. We're shooting XTC practice tomorrow morning.

edited fer spellin'.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#10]
lurker: OK, sorry, yer not Dean - I read your profile. Email if you want to shoot sometime anyway as my guest. I need a partner for some sporting clays, BTW, gotta get tuned up for dove season.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I as well as I am sure, the vast majority of white southerners (from FL in spite of current UT home) are very much against racism  of any kind and have never looked at the Confederate flag as a sign of racism.  The same with Dixie.  To us both are tokens of a time passing where honor and dignity were highly sought after attributes.

I sometimes wonder if the liberals in the press are more against those ideals we associate with both the song and flag of the South than the fabricated racism they say it represents.    
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...a remark by Santayana comes to mind....
View Quote

This is not the Santayana quote you had in mind, but I think this fits the topic well:

[b]"History is to the nation ... as memory is to the individual. An individual deprived of memory becomes disoriented and lost, not knowing where he has been or where he is going, so a nation denied a conception of its past will be disabled in dealing with its present and future." --Arthur M. Schlesinger[/b]

-as seen in [i]The Federalist[/i], Issue 01-33
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]
First off, I believe the song was written by a black man in New York or some such place, and if you listen to the words, he is pining for his home.  It was not written as a racist ditty.

I refuse to accept selective sensitivity from people who "DECIDE" to be offended.  Shame on anyone who permits the spoken word to injure them.

To answer your question, it was played at every Citadel Football game, at least when I went there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top