Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2001 3:39:02 AM EDT
[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/15/science/15PHYS.html?ex=998020800&en=baabfa23a97513f9&ei=5030&partner=PRESSDEMO[/url]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:39:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Old news, they have been discussing this same therom for going on two years now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:50:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Old news, they have been discussing this same therom for going on two years now.
View Quote

And creationists have been pushing the idea of "c decay" even longer (since that's the only way to reconcile our ability to see light from distant galaxies with a 6,000 year old universe).  

Even if this finding is verified, don't expect the astronomers of the world to suddenly throw away all their textbooks and embrace Bishop Usher.  [;)]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Dang, just when I was about to get a "Super C" load worked up, they up & change the limit! Aw, well back to the drawing board, er, reloading bench.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm guess its time to recalibrate my RAY GUN [whacko]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#5]
What did they use to measure the speed of light?  Doppler?  If so, I think that explains some of the speeding tix I've received over the years.  The radar gun was obviously measuring the speed of my headlight beams and the gun displayed the maximum readout.   *&^#$%@ light!  It should be banned.

Eddie
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#6]
There have also been some quantum physics experiments that have also challenged the notion of a universal "constant". They aimed a thin radio beam at a dense block of metal. Ordinarily, the radio waves are completely blocked and no signal could get through to the reciever on the other side. But when dealing with the world of quantum physics, the impossible often becomes possible. Strange events seem to be the norm when dealing with the sub atomic world. Radio waves can only travel through space at the universal constant or the speed of light. But for some unknown reason, microscopic signals were getting through to the reciever. These scientist were recording results of these signals traveling through the block at 4x the speed of light. Which means that the signal was actually being recieved before it was even sent.

Wierd, wild stuff.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Does this mean my energy bill will go up?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does this mean my energy bill will go up?
View Quote

Absolutely, no matter the outcome of this quandry.
Ever had your energy bill go down??
They'll prolly use it as another excuse to take gas prices up again, too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#10]
And scientists claim that they have advanced to the point where they can't possibly be wrong about anything?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Ah, yes. The absolute truths of (the) sciences & religions. What would we ever amount to wid'out 'em?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top