Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2001 12:27:35 AM EDT
I have always been fascinated with the wildlife in Australia. Do you hunt, what do you hunt? Tell us what it is like "down under". Are you a native or a "feral". Do you watch Crocodile Hunter?? Is Steve Irwin as crazy as he makes out to be?? What are the gun laws?? I know, a lot of questions, what time is it there now??
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes mate, from time to time, I take out my No5 jungle carbine, and go walkabout in the outback of NSW,with some friends who have property, where we hunt feral pigs and the like. I would never harm any natural wildlife such as the roos and emus, etc. But thanks to the British, we have many ferals such as pigs, goats, water buffalos, foxes, and that dreaded rabbit. All which are open season.

Roos are considered vermin in some areas, and are culled, but for pet food. I am Australian but was raised in Canada. That Steve bloke is as fucked as he seems. Cheers and beers!

I leave all snakes and other wierd things alone, as I have respect for our unique fawna.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The gun laws are not too bad, but are an outrage. Handguns are less restrictive than Canada, but longarms here have to be registered, and thats a pain. Also all SA rifles and pump shotguns are banned, which is so outragous. The crims still have em!
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info!!  Australia has always been on the top of my, "wish I could visit there" list, I still may make it one day! Good to here from you..Confederate
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Its only 15hrs from LA, and summer is coming. Its Winter still but was about 77F today. Our dollar is 51cUS, so it would be worth your while to down for a holiday. I am in Sydney
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditto to pretty much everything 1feral1 had to say....I also hunt deer and unlike feral;roo's. But hey...I eat them as well...!

Andy
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Just curious, does the taste of Roo, compare with anything that I may have experienced??
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]
You are definitely fishing for "chicken".
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#8]
When my relos are in from overseas I mix roo mince with a beef and lamb combo, and have burgers! What a taste with cheese, rashers (bacon), and fried onion with sauce. All on a crusty bread roll. Fuck I am hungry now! My wife call'n me for tea... gotta go. Email me if ya wanna. Regards, 1feral1. Its steak and chips tonight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Nothing at all like chicken....!!!!!! :)

Hard to call it as anything you may have eaten....also depends on where said roo is from and what it's diet has been.

Very healthy as red meats go...often recommended for heart patients.

Andy
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:04:06 AM EDT
[#10]
This is kind of unrelated, but, what about those of you down there that owned AR's before they were outlawed? Or any SA rifle for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:18:05 AM EDT
[#11]
In 96/97 there was a amnesty and buy back scheme here in Aus...anything that was illegalised as a result of the change in legislation was purchased with funds raised from a national 1% increase in the national medicare levy.  Hence.....I handed in about $6,000 worth of firearms....but based on my salary...I contributed about $750 to that myself...sucks really.  

Andy
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to hear about that man [:(].  peace
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top