Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2001 10:01:26 PM EDT
Very simple question, Is Dans Guns in Dublin still operational? I lost there phone number and called 411 and there is no listing. This place used to specialize in AR-15s' for LEO and civilians. I haven't been there since '99 but they used to provide excellent service. I need a new handguard installed and these guys used to do it while you waited, took about twenty minutes.
I would appreciate any response as I DO not want to drive out there for no reason.

Thank you,
Alex
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Alex,

Are you getting a free float installed?  If you can't track them down, somebody about a year ago sent me the phone # of a gunsmith in Martinez who works on black rifles.  If you want it I will try and find it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The only shop that I know of in Dublin is Wayne's.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Is Dan's the one that is one exit after Stoneridge mall? I think it is still open. I've been meaning to go there anyway, so I might as well go and let you know if it is still open. The one by the mall also specializes in AR's and he frequently helps the movie industry with his cool toys.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy Smokes, xsquid, you nailed it. I told you all that I haven't been there for a while. Dans, where the hell did I get Dans from. Maybe those two names have something in common for me, who knows? Anyway,Ratters, yes I am going to have a badger 20 inch free float installed.
Ratters, would that gunsmith happen to work for Canyon?

Alex

Edited to say that I meant Ratters and not Kalifornia in the free float response.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Alex-  To tell you the truth I am not sure.  I actually think it is a guy with his own shop.  I was having issues with my M17s and was going to have someone look at it so I asked for suggestions.  Ended up sorting out the issues myself so never contacted the person.  I will try and root through some old emails and see if I can track it down.

Anyone have the address for Wayne's.  I would like to check it out.  I also like to go to Kassabian's car store.  I can't afford anything either place but sometimes it's fun to drool. [:P]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Alex, Canyon is so close to me it's not funny.  Just wish they'd put an indoor range in soon, so I can walk to the range and waste money faster.....

Wayne do work on FAL's?  Just curious.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:38:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Wayne's Gun Shop
6600 Dublin Blvd
Dublin, CA 94568
925-828-9568

This could be a new address because I think they used to be located off of Village Parkway.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks matt.

Are you out from under your mountain of work [;)] yet?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Sfoo, I also wish that the Martinez city counsel would aprove the indoor gun range, but that is probably not going to happen soon unless Big Ron gets some serious petitions going in favor for Canyon and an indoor gun range.

I'm not sure if Wayne workes on FALs, just call him. Last time I was there I saw tons of AR parts but no FALs. Of course that was a couple of years ago before the Ban. I've probably spent a total of 4-6 hours in the shop.

BTW...this Badger handguard is the best quality that I have ever seen in a accessory. Just My .223 cents.

Alex
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Another guy that can help you with AR stuff is Mike LaPointe. He is one of the range masters at USI in Concord and works part time at the gunsmith shop on Pleasant Hill Rd. (forgot the name), not Bill Riley's place the one closer to Walnut Creek. Try calling him at the USI during the day, he may be able to install it while you are there shooting. He is a nice guy and does damn nice work.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Buster,
Mike@USI is pretty cool...he always gives me crap when I show up with newbies.  Heh.  MT? and you know someone at the local range?
Alex,
bigRon may have something up his sleeve.  We'll see if he gets it implemented or not.  On the other hand, little ron is lacking some brain cells I think maturity will bring on.   don't really know any of the rest of them, but there is one guy who does some smithing work (with glasses), he's always been helpful.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Sfoo,

I Lived in Antioch for 7 years and in Fremont for 14 years before that. Mike and I shot indoor airgun league together at USI and when I had no field work to do I would drive out to the range and BS with him. I had a part time gun business in Antioch for 6 of the 7 years I was there. I moved to MT in March of this year.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Not Pleasant Hill Road. It starts at Olympic and then splits into Geary and Taylor. I went to Acalanes on P.H Rd. Maybe you are thinking of Contra Costa Collectables on ?Locust? in Walnut Creek. Maybe I will talk to Mike the next time I'm at USI, maybe sunday after I get back from the big..ummm...ya...gambleing thingy in Nevada...errr...ummm...not Kalifonia..Ya thats it.

Alex

Sfoo, maybe Big Ron and Little Ron can get together with Sean D. at the Martinez Gun Club to get something rolling along, but Canyon has been trying to get this together for over a year now and the lib's are pretty strong in this area.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Alex-  Pleasant Hill Rd. actually goes all the way to Martinez where it turns into Alhambra. Where it splits you actually go toward Geary and you will cross Pleasant Hill Rd. which goes to the left.  I have never noticed a gunsmith on the street though.  The only one I know if is the Sierra Gunsmith shop on North Main where Centurion Hobbies used to be.

I'm still checking through my emails, I just forgot who sent it and there are several hundred to check through.

Have a good time "gambling" in Reno.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Alex,

It has been a while since I was over there driving around, but if you go under 680 on Willow Pass I think it turns into Talyor Rd. Anyway if you turn left at the traffic light just past the mall and go about 4 or 5 blocks Bill Rileys shop is on the right in the end of the strip mall. I think it is called Valley Gun Service. He is across the street from Hogan's. Keep going past Bill's place and about 1/2 mile father down on the right side is the other gunsmith shop. The road turns into a frontage road to the freeway and then goes bock up towards WC. He is in a little building next to a military collector that has some camo stuff out front. It is about a block or two before you get to that real screwed up intersection by the Volvo dealership.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Alex,

Sorry Ratters is correct.

I was mistaken it is not P. Hill Rd. it is Contra Costa Blvd. Both gunsmiths are on the same side of the road and about 1/2 mile apart. One is called Valley Gun Service and the other is Sierra Gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Buster, I'll look for it, But unfortunetly the military collecter is no longer in business.Valley is pretty much across the street from Bevmo...Right. About 150 yards from the wendys on the same side of the street.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Alex- Sierra is the one near the Bevmo.  Never seen the Valley shop.  If it is across from Hogans it is a couple miles down Contra Costa if you go north on north main street where Sierra is.

BTW-  are you a regular working stiff?  I might have some morning shooting time next week since I'm on vacation.  Wife has a big todo list but I might try and sneak away.  Lemme know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Alex,

Correct, VGS is in the north facing end of the strip mall that has the hardware store in the center and the thrift store at the south end. Across the street is a Subway, an antique mall and a bunch of other small shops. VGS faces the side street on the north end of the mall, not towards CC Blvd. like the other stores. Sierra Gunsmithing is farther south on CC Blvd. and has a small store front and is easy to miss. If you can't find them call Don at Kit-N-Kaboodle in Oakley and he can give you their phone numbers or I guess just call Mike at USI. Hope you get your rifle up to speed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks matt.

Are you out from under your mountain of work [;)] yet?
View Quote

Yeah, all this 9-5 is killing me! :) Actually, I found a little contract to hold me over for a couple of months, so things are looking better. Looks like I won't have to abandon my ammo purchase plans after all! he he
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Ratters, I am the retail manager at Whole Grain Bakery but have been on deliveries lately so I start at about(on average)4:30 AM Monday-Friday. I'm usually off between 12:00-4:00 P.M. .And on FRi. and SAt I am the bouncer at The Round Up Saloon at 9:00-2:30 Pm-Am
Buster,I have not been to that area in a while, but I do know that a huge shopping center has been built about 8 blocks from Hogans(south on CCBVD) so I do not Know if tour geography is correct as I try to avoid as much of Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill and Concord as possable.

Alex
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I found some old business cards with local guys.

Antioch Armory
712 W. 2ND ST.
Antioch
(925) 706-1442

Never been there but I heard some good things about them.

Bruce McLeod
Hollywood Exotic Arms
6600 Dublin Blvd.
Dublin
(925) 828-9568

Never been there, but I heard he was the AW king in Dublin a couple of years ago.

Sierra Gunsmith Services
3087 N. Main St.
Walnut Creek
(925) 939-3646

I had work done there 3-4 times, usually generally satisfied. One time they broke the front sight installing Trijicons on my HK USP (not Mike LaPointe), and then gave me a song and dance for 8 weeks trying to get a replacement. That incident soured me a little. I get the feeling they didn't have the right tools for the job but did it anyway and broke the front post.

Bill Riley in P Hill is a cool guy, but he's not an AW man. He's not really a semi-auto man either. He's old school. If you give him an AW, he'll send it off to his friend who's susposed to be a police armorer. His friend assembled an AR lower for me 3 years ago and it worked great. I gave Bill my S&W 4006 for a trigger job and after his partner looked at is for a couple weeks, they couldn't do anything with it. So, you know, I think he's a bolt and shotgun man.

If you go to Valley, stop by the barber shop next to Ace hardware (on the right as you face Ace, the hair place on the left is owned by Vietnamese woman) and have Cliff give you a haircut. He's a shooter and very pro-gun. And he's a good guy as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#23]
It's been a while since you've been here Mattja.
I remember that Ace Hardware but it is now Masseys Billiards. Nice clean place but the pool is a little on the high side.

Alex
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:19:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been lurking. My wife gets mad if she sees me here instead of searching monster board for a new job. he he
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top