Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 1:35:56 PM EDT
I got this in my personel e-mail,

of course my name is Joe Moffatt hence my screen name.

Dear Moffat
             TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

I am Mr Peter Lockers ,Solicitor. I am the Personal Attorney to Engr.Thomas
Moffat a National of United State of America, who used to work with Shell/Oil
Development Company in United Kingdom as the Chief Engineer.On the 2nd of may
1999, my client, his wife And their three children were involved in a car
accident along Cardiff Road London. All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately
lost their lives.
Since then I have made several enquiries to their embassy to locate any of my
clients extended relatives, this has also proved unsuccessful. After these
several unsuccessful attempts,I decided to trace his relatives over the
Internet, to locate any member of his family but to no avail hence I contacted
you to assist in repatriating the money that belong to my client before they
get confiscated or declared unserviceable by the bank where this huge deposit
was lodged. Particularly, the Bank where the late decease had an account valued
at about Three Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars  has issued me a notice
today to provide the Next of kin or have the account confiscated within the
next ten official working days.

Since i have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for over 4 years now I
seek your consent to present you as the Next of kin of the deceased, so that
the proceeds of this account valued at Three million Five Hundred Thousand
Dollars Only  can be paid to your account For your assistance, you shall be
compensated with 20% of the fund while 5% should be for expenses or tax as your
government may require. I will appreciate that you forward the following
information so that we can proceed immediately with the deal.1. Your full name
and address 2. your telephone and fax numbers
All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us have this transaction
accomplished. I have all the documents (DEATH CERTIFICATE AND DEPOSIT
CERTIFICATE)that guarantee this transaction is executed under a legitimate
arrangement. This will protect everyone involved from breach of the law.I will
also send you text of claim application to fill out. You shall be expect to
fill it out and forwarded to the bank,requesting for the immediate remittance
of the fund into your nominated account.

It is worthy to note that due to the nature of this transaction absolute
confidentiality is required when the fund has been remitted into your nominated
account.I must assure you, once again, this transaction is safe and free from
any encumbrace because adequate arrangement have been put in place for its
success. All is required of you is absolute sincerity.

Please get in touch with me on my number Tel:447031842942 to enable us discuss
further.

Best regards,

Barrister Peter Lockers
Peter Lockers & Associates,
Legal Practitioner & Public Notaries
[email protected]

So WTF over , is this a scam?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You actually have to ask?

BTW I'm selling this bridge in NY.....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
check out snopes.com and do a search with keywords
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
CHIEF EMI ONU & CO. L.L.B. L.L.M B.L LEGAL PRACTITIONER AND CONSULTANT MEMBER
CONSTITUTION DRAFTING COMMITTEE 1995. Hello my friend, I am calling from Benin
Republic West Africa. I am Barrister Emi Onu, an English speaking Beninoise,
Solicitor & Financial Attorney/Consultant. I was moved to contact you based on
the present condition of things here.There is a foreigner who registered with me
as his personal Attorney and he was a stock broker as well as a one time secret
agent in importing oil from overseas for our former Ministers. My client was
also a Diamond/Gold Merchant. So, on 2nd June 2001 my client made a numbered
time (Fixed) deposit for US$10.700,000.00(Ten Million,Seven Hundred Thousand US
Dollars Only) with a Bank here in Benin,with standing statement/agreement with
the bank that all correspond! ences in respect to the fixed deposit contract
must be sent to him through my humble chambers. Upon maturity, the routine
notification was sent to me, which I dispatched to
his forwarding address as usual without no reply.   After a month, I sent a
remind er which I received from the bank without any reply again. Finally, I
discovered from my client's contract employee that he died among many others on
Sept.11, 2001 Terrorist attack. But,he died without making any will and all
attempts to trace his next of kin was fruitless.I also discovered that he did
not declare any kin or relations in all his official documents, including his
fixed deposit contract with the bank.Hencefort, I seek your consent to present
you to this bank as the next of kin based on the official letter I just received
from his bankers reminding me that BENINOISE LAW states that at the expiration
of five(5) years the money will revert to the ownership of the BENINOISE
Government if I do not confirm the next of kin to claim the fund.  
Consequently, my proposal is that I will like you as a foreigner to stand in as
the next of kin to my deceased client since you shares the same
surname and also from this same country so that the fruits of thisold man's
labor will not go into the hands of some corrupt government officials.   Note
that this transaction is simple and risk free because I will provide expert
legal services that will guarantee the successful execution of this deal. If you
are interested, please contact me as soon as possible through phone, I shall
provide you with more details and how we shall proceed with the claims.I expect
you to observe utmost confidentiality and be rest assured that this transaction
would be profitable for both of us. Thanks as I await for your reply. Best
Regards, Barr Emi Onui Esq.  

Lycos iQ - show what you knoW: iq.lycos.co.uk
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  This is a mass emailing that goes out to literally hundreds of thousands of people, with hopes that a few will actually fall for it.  If you call they will probably ask you to set up a bank account, then send you a check with instructions to wire an amount back to them.  Of course, the check they send you will be bogus.  Or they might ask you for front money to "begin the process," or something like that.

Too good to be true?

Never respond to these emails, talk to these people, or especially give them any of your personally identifying information.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Eventually he'll probably ask you for a routing number to your personal checking account.  Or he'll send you a huge check for greater then the amount he's promised and asked you to send the excess to him by way of a wire transfer.  If this were real it wouldn't have taken the guy 4 years to find a living relative with the resources available to him.  They throw in the "10 days left thing" to create a sense of urgency within you, because if you have time to actually think this thing through you'd realize its complete bull-butter.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
urgent response needed

DR momoh adams.
DIRECTOR OF INVESTIGATION,
UNION BANK OF NIG. PLC,
MARINA-LAGOS,
NIGERIA.

I AM SEEKING FOR YOUR COOPERATION TO PRESENT YOU TO MY BANk AS THE NEXT OF KIN TO MR RICHARD PETERSON, A FOREIGN CONTRACTOR WITH
NIGERIAN NATIONAL PETROLEUM COOPERATION (NNPC): SO THAT THE SUM OF USD$26.8M=ILLION WILL BE PAY TO YOU AS THE BENEFICIARY. FOR YOUR INFORMATION, I AM THE= DIRECTOR OF INVESTIGATION DEPARTMENT WITH UNION BANK OF NIGERIA PLC.

THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF UNION BANK OF NIG.PLC, MANDATED ME TO LOOK FOR ANY KNOWN RELATION OF MR RICHARD PETERSON,SINCE, AFTER HIS DEATH 5/1/03, HOWEVER ALL MY EFFORTSTRACES ABORTIVE,

THAT IS THE MAIN REASON I AM WRITING YOU THIS TO ASK FOR YOUR COOPEARATION FOR US TO CLAIM THIS MONEY, SINCE YOU ARE A FOREIGNER.I ONLY HAVE TO APPROVE YOU, THIS FUND WILL BE PAY TO YOU AS THE BENEFICIARY

WE ARE TO SHARE THIS MONEY BETWEEN OURSELVES (I AND YOU) IF YOU ARE REALY IN TERESTED IN THIS OFFER YOU SHOULD CONTACT ME IMMEDIATELY.
FOR DETAIL OF THIS TRANSACTION AND PRECEDURE. PLS DO FORWARD ME YOUR FULL NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE AND FAX NUMBER, YOUR COMPANY NAME OR OCCUPATION THESE INFO, ARE VITAL TO THE SUCCESS OF THIS TRANSACTION.
NOTE THAT THIS IS RISK FREE BUSINESS, THIS TRANSACTION WILL COMMENCE IMMEDIATELY THERE IS INTEREST FROM YOU.

YOURS TRUELY

DR momoh adams.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Greetings

I am Mr. Charles Brown, a Canadian Attorney based in Manchester, United Kingdom and the personal attorney to Late Mr. Mark Michelle a citizen of France. Late Mr. Mark Michelle was a private oil consultant/ contractor with the Shell Petroleum Development Company in Saudi Arabia before his death, hereinafter shall be referred to as my client.

On the 21st day of April 2000, my client and his wife along with their three children were involved in a ghastly motor accident. All occupants in the vehicle unfortunately lost their lives. Since then, I have made several enquiries from the French embassies to locate his next of kin or any of his extended relatives, but all to no avail.

My client made a deposit in a Security and Finance institution valued presently at $12,000,000.00 (Twelve Million United States Dollars) and the company has issued me an official notification to provide his next of kin or beneficiary by will, therwise the account will be confiscated within the next sixty (60) working days.

Since I have been unsuccessful in locating any of my late client's relatives for three (3) years now, I now seek your consent to permit me present you as the next of kin/ beneficiary of my late client so that the proceeds of this account can be paid to you. I am willing to offer you 35% of the total sum as a reward for your efforts in assisting me, while I take 50% of the total sum. The 5% of the fund will serve as reimbursement of expenses both local and international any of us will make in the course of this transaction. While we shall collectively donate the remaining balance of 10% to Tsunami Relief Organisations.

Consider this proposal and get back to me as soon as possible so that I furnish you with more details on how we shall proceed.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Best regards,
Mr. Charles Brown

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
No,i have made billions on these deals,go for it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
It's called the "Nigerian" or "419" Scam.  "Nigerian" because Nigerian's pioneered it and are its most prolific practicioners, and "419" because that's said to the the section of the Nigerian Criminal Code that the scam violates.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have some wonderfull beachfront property for sale in Scottsdale AZ if you are interested,
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't be a pussy!  That email looks legit!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Man all these rich people dieing makes me nervous.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys , that's why I asked here.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#15]
see if he wants to invest in some ANUS Computers
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Bankers Trust International
                                                                               Marlborough House, Pall Mall
                                                                               London, swiy5hx.UK
                                                                               Email: [email protected]
                                                                               or:       [email protected]

I am the Manager Bills and Exchange, Foreign Operations Department of the above branch. I'm writing in respect of one Mr. Oakley a customer of my branch with A/C#: 304-1425520-04 USD, who died in April 2002 in a plane crash.
Since we got the information about his death, we have been expecting his next of kin to come forward and claim his money because we cannot release unless somebody applies for it as the next of Kin or relation to the deceased as indicated in our banking guidelines. And since no one has come forward to claim these fund for years now, we discovered/realized that the fund (US$10.8m) with the above account number has been abandoned. I got your contact information when I visited (USA) in search of his Next of Kin or relation but could not find anyone. It is therefore upon this discovery that I and two other senior officials in my department decided to make business with you and release the money to you as the Next of Kin or relation of the deceased for safe keeping and subsequent disbursement since nobody is coming forward for it and we do not want this money to go back into the Bank of England Account as Unclaimed Fund.
This is because the Banking Laws and Regulations here stipulated that if such money remains unclaimed after five years the money would be transferred into Government Treasury as unclaimed fund. It is in view of this that we decided to solicit your assistance to use your name as the next of kin to the deceased. The request of a Next of Kin in this business is occasioned by the fact that the customer is from your locality. We agreed that US$4.3M of this fund will be for your assistance, Five Hundred Thousand Dollars will be donated to charity while the rest will be for me and my partners. So upon the conclusion of this transaction and your receipt of this fund, I and two other of my colleagues will visit you for the disbursement.
Therefore, to enable the immediate transfer/release of the fund to you as stated, you must apply first to the Bank as a relation or Next of Kin of the deceased. Upon receipt of your reply I will send to you by fax Text of the Application and the next steps to be taken. I will also not fail to bring to your notice that this business is hitch free and that you should not entertain any fear as the whole required arrangement has been made for the transfer/release of these fund to you.
Note: This transaction is confidential and risks free. As soon as you receive this letter, you should contact me at once through the above stated email address or Fax No. Thanks, trusting to hear from you immediately.

Yours faithfully,
Robert Clive  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top