Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2001 8:12:09 PM EDT
Less than 10 months ago I did not have a single AR rifle.  I did have 5 Ruger Mini-14/Ranch Rifles in several variations which I loved shooting.  First and last AR I owned was a Colt 16" Carbine from about 12 or 13 years ago.  That Colt was a piece of $hit and after 3 trips to the factory I gave up the AR rifles and got Mini/Ranch Rifles to play with.  Last year I found this sight and started hanging around.  After few months I decided to try it again and h=got a BM carbine.  That BM turned out to be a great little rifle and I enjoyed it.  Then I found out about the LEGP and got that too.  The LEGP turned out to be even better than the BM.  Well, I have to say that I am officially been bitten by the AR bug.  I currently have above 2 AR's and will get the 2002 LEGP for my next birthday.
[IMG]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/029/qv/c5/GJ/NC49522.jpg [/IMG]

However, what else should I consider in addition to the 2002 LEGP?  I'm considering a "Varmint" from RRA like this one with 16" or 20" barrel for precision/accuracy.
[IMG]http://www.rockriverarms.com/rifles/images/varm.jpg [/IMG]
I think this would round out my AR collection.  Any other suggestions?  Oh, forget Class3 stuff.    

Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the varmint!
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the varmint, I have the Colt A3 Elite and it'll print 1/4" groups like my bolt guns @100 yards all day long!  Loads of fun, especially scoped right.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the RRA Varmint upper on an OLY lower.  

DPMS parts kit, Jewell trigger, 3-9x40 Leupold and Harris bipod make-up the rest of the parts.

I shoot about 1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yards with it - but I'm not a very good shot.

[img]junior.apk.net/~scotts/varmint.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
SWS:

Nice setup.  Is that a 20" or 24" barrel on yours?  I'm thinking of same upper with the same scope but in 16" barrel as I don't expect to be shooing farther than 250 yards or 300 yards top.  At that kind of range 16" should do okay and as far as I know shorter barrel will not have any effect on accuracy.  What kind of scope mount do you have there?    
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#5]
yobo:

That's the 20" barrel.  I would think that anything less than 20" on a "varmint" style rifle would look kinda goofy.  But that's personal preference and probably wouldn't have much effect on accuracy at shorter distances.

The Leupold sits on a RRA scope mount.  Experience tells me that it's not a true "return to zero" mount.  I have a pair of Leupold Mark IV rings on order to replace it.

The GG&G GS-1 extender rail was required to give the proper eye relief and height for the Leupold.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey!that's my rifle!give it back you rascally rabbit[:P]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#7]
That is one SWEET rifle, SWS! I have never been one much for varmint style ARs, but I really like the looks of some of them!

Tyler
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top