Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 8/12/2001 7:12:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/12/2001 7:20:20 PM EST by yobo]
Less than 10 months ago I did not have a single AR rifle. I did have 5 Ruger Mini-14/Ranch Rifles in several variations which I loved shooting. First and last AR I owned was a Colt 16" Carbine from about 12 or 13 years ago. That Colt was a piece of $hit and after 3 trips to the factory I gave up the AR rifles and got Mini/Ranch Rifles to play with. Last year I found this sight and started hanging around. After few months I decided to try it again and h=got a BM carbine. That BM turned out to be a great little rifle and I enjoyed it. Then I found out about the LEGP and got that too. The LEGP turned out to be even better than the BM. Well, I have to say that I am officially been bitten by the AR bug. I currently have above 2 AR's and will get the 2002 LEGP for my next birthday. [IMG]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/029/qv/c5/GJ/NC49522.jpg [/IMG] However, what else should I consider in addition to the 2002 LEGP? I'm considering a "Varmint" from RRA like this one with 16" or 20" barrel for precision/accuracy. [IMG]http://www.rockriverarms.com/rifles/images/varm.jpg [/IMG] I think this would round out my AR collection. Any other suggestions? Oh, forget Class3 stuff.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:36:30 PM EST
Go with the varmint!
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:59:28 PM EST
Go with the varmint, I have the Colt A3 Elite and it'll print 1/4" groups like my bolt guns @100 yards all day long! Loads of fun, especially scoped right.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:43:49 PM EST
Here's the RRA Varmint upper on an OLY lower. DPMS parts kit, Jewell trigger, 3-9x40 Leupold and Harris bipod make-up the rest of the parts. I shoot about 1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yards with it - but I'm not a very good shot. [img]junior.apk.net/~scotts/varmint.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 9:16:35 PM EST
SWS: Nice setup. Is that a 20" or 24" barrel on yours? I'm thinking of same upper with the same scope but in 16" barrel as I don't expect to be shooing farther than 250 yards or 300 yards top. At that kind of range 16" should do okay and as far as I know shorter barrel will not have any effect on accuracy. What kind of scope mount do you have there?
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 9:59:39 PM EST
yobo: That's the 20" barrel. I would think that anything less than 20" on a "varmint" style rifle would look kinda goofy. But that's personal preference and probably wouldn't have much effect on accuracy at shorter distances. The Leupold sits on a RRA scope mount. Experience tells me that it's not a true "return to zero" mount. I have a pair of Leupold Mark IV rings on order to replace it. The GG&G GS-1 extender rail was required to give the proper eye relief and height for the Leupold.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:22:57 PM EST
Hey!that's my rifle!give it back you rascally rabbit[:P]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 1:27:48 AM EST
That is one SWEET rifle, SWS! I have never been one much for varmint style ARs, but I really like the looks of some of them! Tyler
Top Top