Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2001 10:34:16 PM EDT
ok, what is the difference between all of the different mauser actions
k98, 96, 1912, turkish, etc...
is it just where/when they were made?
where is a good place to get an inxpensive one?
which one is the best for use on a "scout rifle"?

i ran into a guy the other day who had a mauser 98 action made by kimber...said he got it for $75...he had a take off barrel from a remington sendero 300mag on it...is this relatively easy to do?

thanks

Link Posted: 8/11/2001 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Mauser 98's are the "Large Ring" Mausers and they are a lot stronger than the Small Ring Mausers (Swedish, Chilean,...).

For a Custom Rifle: get yourself a Mauser 98 Action. It will be able to handle Magnum loads..whereas the small ring mausers will NOT.

You can pick up an old Mauser 98 from just about any gunshow ...and you can frequently find them in gunshops.

The Czech Firm: BRNO made some very good Mauser 98 actions....
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty awesome question SkaerE.

Books have been written about Mauser bolt guns.  The variations are mind boggling.  

In brief, there are different models such as 71, 71/84, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 and 98.  In general, these models are different from each other.  However, some are slight modifications of earlier models.  The 98 is the last and best designed of these.  

These models, esp. the 98, were built in different locations and at different times.  Great variations in quality are encountered.  The German 98’s (except late WWII production) are among the best, Chinese 98’s are probably the worst.

To make things even more confusing, sometimes a production run of  98’s have been given a totally different model number.

If you want some basic info, I’d suggest you get a copy of Frank de Haas’s “Bolt Action Rifles”, third edition.  This book isn’t especially expensive, plus it covers a lot of other bolt guns.

The Yugo 98 rifles floating all over the place right now are good values for the price and would make a decent scout rifle.

Rebarreling a Mauser requires tools and gunsmithing skills.  It’s not that hard but you certainly can’t do it on a kitchen table.  Changing to a different cartridge can make things more complicated.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
any place where i can just get the unbarrelled action?  i would rebarrel it and restock it anyways...my initial question dealt more with the fact that this guy had rebarreled a remington barrel onto the mauser...is this strange?

thanks again

Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Tapco has barreled actions.  Check them out.  I don't remember if they were small or large ring.

OSA
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Gun Parts Inc. Sells Mauser Receivers. You would have to have your FFL holder order one for you. Cost averages around $35 for a stripped receiver.

Here is a link: [url]http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=161[/url]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 1:17:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually the best bet is to try to get a complete action with matching numbers.

Sometimes a complete rifle with a bad bore won’t cost any more than an action.  In fact, I’d prefer that anyway so that I can be the person removing the old barrel (gently).

Barrels taken off a particular model of rifle will generally not fit a different model due to thread and other dimensional differences.  There are occasional exceptions to this (Mauser 93, 94, 95 and 96’s have the same dimensions – though headspacing adjustments must still be made).  I wouldn’t think a Remington 700 barrel would fit a Mauser 98 action.  It might be possible to rethread, turn, sleeve, or whatever, the barrel to make it fit – but I have real doubts about that, especially on a large ring Mauser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top