Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

"You don't hunt with this," Glombicki said of the rifle. "This is strictly a military weapon."

Whagt a fucking head job.  

"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=377821&c=500&z=1"]

Dumbass.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#2]
i'll feel safer when all them .410 pistols are off the street. I'd hate to see a bunch of people just cut in half when all those inanimate objects run amok.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#3]
the cop in that interview was real...real bright.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I've fallen in this SHITHOLE state and I can't get out!!!!!!!!!

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i can't find his email.  Someone help me out

[email protected]

sent, thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So... just like assault weapon used to mean a fully automatic military style weapon, machine gun used to mean a fully automatic weapon meant for cover fire. Now both just mean a semi auto weapon? Jesus christ the media and gun grabbers are really fucking with gun language to fit their needs.

I had better go register my semi auto machine gun and get a permit for it since they make everybody believe you need registration and a permit/license too!!!

Good grief!  Our own members can't get it right.  "Assault weapon" NEVER meant a fully automatic military style weapon nor select fire weapon.

"Assault weapon" is a completely fabricated term.  However, an M16 is an assault rifle.

If we have our own members misusing terminology, how the hell can we be so upset at the media when they do it.  We are supposed to know better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Come on people, he lived right across the alley from an elementary school for christs sake. We can't allow that. What if those guns just went off and some kid was killed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#8]
How about everyone who has a pic of an AR and the game they have shot send it to the author?

BS on "You don't hunt with this.  This is a military weapon".
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm just sorry he didn't live right across the street from ME.

We probably coulda' had some good times!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#10]
My e-mail to Mr. Wang:

I just read the aforementiond online article.  I have never seen an article so full of distortions and outright lies in my life.  Are you really that uninformed or do you purposely distort facts?

Let's start with:

"a standard army-issue AR-15 rifle. Police allege the man was trying to convert the semi-automatic machine gun to fully automatic, a violation of federal law."

First, the AR15 is NOT a standard army-issue rifle.  It is NOT used by the military at all as it is semiautomatic.  If it was indeed army issue, he would not need to convert it to auto as the issue M16s are either 3 shot burst or full auto.

How do they KNOW he was trying to convert it to full auto?  Did he have a kit?  Contrary to the lies put out by gun control groups, it is not as easy as filing down a sear.

There is no such thing as a SEMI-AUTOMATIC MACHINE GUN!!!!  A machine gun is, by defintion, fully automatic.  The use of this totally erroneous term is disgraceful.

Next:

" "You don't hunt with this," Glombicki said of the rifle. "This is strictly a military weapon." "

The Second Amendment is not about hunting, but that seems to be lost on some people.  Besides, you CAN hunt with an AR15.  It is not only NOT strictly a military weapon, it is not a military weapon at all.

This gets better as you go along:

"Police also found a pistol designed to fire shotgun shells--also illegal under federal law.

"It's a very dangerous, ferocious weapon," Glombicki said. From about 6 feet away, "it could cut you in half." "

A pistol designed to fire shotgun shells is NOT illegal under Federal law.  The vast majority of pistols that fire shotgun shells use the .410 gauge ammo.  You are not going to "cut you in half" with .410 gauge shotgun shells.

A "ferocious weapon"?  It is an inanimate object, a tool.  Inanimate objects don't have characteristics like "ferocious".  Only living being display such characteristics.

I am not going to go into the legitimacy of arresting the man without charges, for the inaccuracies and distortions displayed in this article are enough for any knowledgeable person to discount the entire contents of the article.

I fully expect for you not to respond and I am not really concerned about that.  If not for the fact that most of the public gets their "knowledge" about firearms through distorted articles like this one, this would be truly laughable.  However, due to that very fact, this is sad that someone who is supposed to be serving the public interest provides such a disservice by publishing such untruthful articles.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#11]
My e-mail:

Dear Mr. Wang,

I am writing in response to your article, "Cache of guns seized on Southwest Side". This is such shameful fiction that it demands response. I cannot fathom how such an article could ever be published; in order to have written it you would either have to be so ignorant of firearms and the law as to be contemptible or you would be an out and out liar. Which is it, sir?

Some specific problems with the article:

First, the statement "brand-new sniper rifles". What, exactly, defines a sniper rifle? Is it an accurate weapon, or one with a scope on it? Should I be worried that my deer rifle is mechanically identical to a sniper rifle used in both World Wars?

I also noted that you felt it necessary to point out that he lived near a school. Did you think that none of the people who live in close proximity to schools own guns? It certainly isn't illegal to do so. What about people who own guns and have children of their own? Why did you feel it was important to make this statement? Were you seeking an "oh no, think of the children!" response from your readership?

The charges, as you printed them, consist of "The man has not yet been charged. Glombicki said he was being held on suspicion that he was selling weapons out of his house without a license. He could also be charged with not registering any of the firearms." So he has been arrested and had his property confiscated, but he has not been charged with a crime? It is not illegal to sell privately owned firearms without a license, and if he was liquidating his collection there would still be no law against it. As for firearm registration, I must confess ignorance as to the registration requirements of Chicago since I do not live there.

Other things that were confiscated, according to your article, are "Also recovered were six inert grenades" which are not illegal anywhere, do not count as weapons in any way, and never were weapons in any way, "a military knife with a swastika on the handle", which leads me to believe you are either implying that World War II memoribilia is illegal or that because he owns such a knife he must be a nazi, "a standard army-issue AR-15 rifle", which I must point out has never been issued to any military force in the world as it a semi-automatic only firearm and has several significant mechanical differences from the M-16.

This next one is a real doozy. "Police allege the man was trying to convert the semi-automatic machine gun to fully automatic, a violation of federal law." First, let's look at the highlighted text. A semi-automatic firearm is one that fires once every time you pull the trigger. A machine gun is a fully-automatic firearm that continues firing as long as you hold down the trigger. The two terms are mutually exclusive. I would also like to know why the police allege he was trying to modify his rifle as it would require a high degree of skill in a machine shop and professional tools to modify an AR-15 to the point that it would accept the parts required to become fully-automatic, much less make the machine gun parts. Contrary to popular belief, it is very difficult to convert a semi-automatic firearm into a fully-automatic firearm.

"You don't hunt with this," Glombicki said of the rifle. "This is strictly a military weapon." Well, since we already know the AR-15 is not used by any military in the world and never has been used by any military, I suppose we can rule out the "strictly a military weapon" bit. As for the line about not hunting with an AR-15, apparently Glombicki is unaware that nearly every company that produces AR-15's makes and sells models specifically designed for varmint hunting. The AR-15 is a very popular rifle for shooting woodchucks, prairie dogs, coyotes, and other destructive pest animals. It is also used by a large number of hunters to hunt rabbit, beaver, feral pig, squirrel, and even smaller breeds of deer. In fact, even semi-automatic clones of the AK-47 are popular hunting rifles, having nearly identical ballistics with the .30-30 caliber that has been the most popular caliber for hunting deer for the better part of a century.

"Police also found a pistol designed to fire shotgun shells--also illegal under federal law." In fact, there is no such law. There are numerous pistols designed to fire shotgun shells, such as the Thunder Five revolver, numerous derringers, and the products of several big name companies. There are also special shot-shell munitions available in nearly every pistol caliber that allows handguns designed to fire regular ammunition to fire shotgun blasts useful for killing snakes, rats, and other pests or dangerous animals.

"It's a very dangerous, ferocious weapon," Glombicki said. From about 6 feet away, "it could cut you in half." By this point, I shouldn't even have to point out the fallacy in anthropomorphizing an inanimate object. I will point out, however, that the vast majority of handguns designed to fire shotgun shells use the .410 gauge shotgun shell, which is equivelent in firepower to the .45 Long Colt pistol round that has been around since the 1800's. It certainly will not cut you in half. In fact, a 12-gauge or even 10-gauge shotgun will not cut a person in half at any distance. It is physically impossible.
Frankly, sir, this article has been nothing but a shameless exposition of fiction and outright lies. You have villainized a man who has not even been charged with a crime and made it clear that the purpose of your article is to villainize firearms in general and disturb the sheep in society. That such a travesty was allowed to be published is unthinkable. The news is supposed to be a non-biased presentation of the facts and nothing more; you have abused your position to spout your own political agenda and distorted information to suit your own purposes. I cannot say I will be reading the Tribune at any point in the future if it allows such blatantly false pap to be published.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#12]
"It's a very dangerous, ferocious weapon," Glombicki said. From about 6 feet away, "it could cut you in half."

He must have had a 72" bayonet
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Chicago is teh suk.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
*gasp* you mean people own German WWII collectables?!  Ban them for the children.

Douche bags  

With Swastikas on 'em even. Oh he HORROR
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#15]
News Flash: Cache of deadly “Light Sabers” confiscated during Walmart raid. As can be seen in this footage from the movie “Phantom Menace”, light sabers can literally cut a person in half and melt through a blast door.

Light sabers are the choice weapon of elite paramilitary forces but are increasingly being used in gang crime. In one incident last summer, gangs of light saber wielding gang members terrorized people outside a local theater.

Police claim that Walmart was selling these deadly weapons to children, some as young as five. Local hospitals haven’t seen any light saber related injuries yet. However one eight year old gangmember admitted to reporters that he killed his brother five times with a light saber he bought from the local Walmart last Tuesday.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I think you folks oughta be writing the EDITOR of the paper, not the author of the story... or at the very least, doing a CC to both of them.

Think about it, the reporter's shit got published, he's likely laughing at the emails...
go after the editor, who has to insure his paper sells... if he gets enough emails of outrage over bullshit news stories, Mr. WANG might find himself working at Walmart.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Uh, if they haven't charged him, what the fuck did they arrest him for?  Looking scary?

My advice would be to file a lawsuit for wrongful arrest.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Do you believe there might be a better response if the letters were also sent to the Editor of the Tribune?  Just a thought...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#19]
WTF.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Doesn't matter now whether his "weapons cache" had any full auto firearms in it. The BATFE is now involved, and I'm certain they will "find" a way to make some or all of them go full auto, even if it is a mag-dumping slam fire!

This guy is f***ed.

The troubling thing is, it could be any one of us..."thousands of rounds"---better stay outta my basement...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#21]
BOYS , This sht goes on here all the time ,  the local "news media" is famous for describing a 22lr. revolver , a single shot H&R shotgun , a M-1 carbine , and assorted BB-guns - as a  ARSENAL!!!

These Clowns in the media , arent stupid - they are trying to instill fear into people - on the subject of guns !!

My best friends DAD had all his Guns stolen in a burglery , and HE DID NOT CALL THE POLICE TO REPORT THIS - CUS OF HIS FEAR THAT THE COPS WOULD ARREST HIM FOR NOT HAVEING A VALID I.F.O.I.D. card -( fot those of you who dont know F.O.I.D is a little plastic photo ID card that ALL gun owners in ILLINOIS must have , or be in deep SHT .) --- I wonder just how common this is ?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Doesn't matter now whether his "weapons cache" had any full auto firearms in it. The BATFE is now involved, and I'm certain they will "find" a way to make some or all of them go full auto, even if it is a mag-dumping slam fire!

This guy is f***ed.

The troubling thing is, it could be any one of us..."thousands of rounds"---better stay outta my basement...

You said it brother! They got a hard on for this guy so there is no way he is gonna not be guilty.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#23]
My email message to mr Wang head. I did not want to insult him, rather make him think the next time.

I was reading your article regarding the gun seizure. I find it amazing that you took (I assume) the words of a Police officer verbatim without doing any checking on the validity of those statements! There is no such thing as a "semi automatic machine gun" they are either semi automatics or machine guns. Lt. Glombicki sounds like a total idiot and poorly schooled in firearms identification as well as ballistics. His absurd statement regarding the shot shell pistol "It's a very dangerous, ferocious weapon," "From 6 feet away, it could cut you in half." If this were really true why was Dick Cheney's hunting buddy not vaporized by a terrifying shotgun? By the way it is NOT illegal to own inert grenades in Illinois, nor is it illegal or unusual to have WWII militaria such as the dagger. I would suggest that you should do some background work on firearms the next time so you don't look like a fool to those who know better.

Regards

Doug  

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd laugh my ass off if they guy had a C&R or FFL and was selling German war souveniers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I called Lt. Stephen Glombicki and the dispatcher said he was "unavailable" and "in the field."

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#26]

They monitored the man's home and saw several people come and go from the residence over a period of four days.

Yep, there's some serious probable cause there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#27]
What I see in CHicago makes the "Blut und Ehre" more desirable and deserving of respect.  Yes, I know it's all "horrible": when I see the ones who give it that label, I start to wonder who is lying.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
News Flash: Cache of deadly “Light Sabers” confiscated during Walmart raid. As can be seen in this footage from the movie “Phantom Menace”, light sabers can literally cut a person in half and melt through a blast door.

Light sabers are the choice weapon of elite paramilitary forces but are increasingly being used in gang crime. In one incident last summer, gangs of light saber wielding gang members terrorized people outside a local theater.

Police claim that Walmart was selling these deadly weapons to children, some as young as five. Local hospitals haven’t seen any light saber related injuries yet. However one eight year old gangmember admitted to reporters that he killed his brother five times with a light saber he bought from the local Walmart last Tuesday.

Classic!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#29]
that is the funniest thing I have read in along time!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#30]

a military knife with a swastika on the handle and the phrase "Blut und Ehre"--German for "blood and honor"--on the blade

Do you see what they did there?
Very clever of them.
Before he was just a guy who owned guns.
Now, he is a Nazi gun nut.
Those Chicago Police are very, very clever indeed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
FMJ sells a handgun that will fire either the 45 or 410, as does American Derringer, Magnum Research and several other manufacturers. I never knew it was against the law to have a handgun that could fire a shot shell - like the 410 or 28 ga. (thank GOD I don't live in the Peoples Republic of Chicago!!)

Personally, I think there is either more to the story, or the guy was arrested for COMPLETLY BOGUS REASONS.

eta -

i1.tinypic.com/nx0qap.jpg
both of these pistols are DESIGNED TO SHOOT SHOTGUN SHELLS - specifically, the 410 so, to the JBTs in Peoples Republic of Chicago - FUCK YOU!!!
i1.tinypic.com/nx0qqx.jpg

But on the other hand, if you cut down a shotgun, such as a Mossberg, to a size approximating a pistol, it's considered an AOW wtf gives ?  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Reason 5,761 why I hate Chicago's liberalism and the liberal media.  

On a odd side note, my GF lives not far from there.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#33]
My response. Hey, I got published about Jay Mariotti's rant about the Bears players getting to shoot guns at the FBI range... I could get published...

This letter is in response to your article in today’s paper by Andrew L. Wang (“Cache of guns seized on Southwest Side”)

While not defending him of illegal gun dealing (if he is in fact guilty of that offense), or delving into the "feel good" nonsense of Chicago firearm laws, I do take issue with several blatant falsehoods presented as facts in the article.

The “six inert grenades” are not illegal, as far as I am aware. Neither is the “military knife with a swastika”. Such items are included in the article (as well as the press releases by agencies about such incidents) to add fuel to an already burning fire of dislike, and to paint a more negative picture of an (as yet) unconvicted subject.

In addition, the “standard army-issue AR-15 rifle” and “semi-automatic machine gun” language appears to be more inflammatory rhetoric. The US Army has never had the AR-15 as a “standard issue” weapon. The US Army issues variants of the M16, a selective-fire weapon, that is, one capable of firing one or multiple shots with each pull of the trigger, depending on the position of the selector lever. This ability to fire multiple rounds with only one pull of the trigger is what makes it a “machine gun”. There is not, and never has been any such thing as a “semi-automatic machine gun”.

A “pistol designed to fire shotgun shells” is not illegal per se – there are many pistols that can fire either the .45 Long Colt or .410 shotgun shell that are quite legal, under both state and federal laws. In addition, boaters often use flare pistols that utilize a 12 gauge sized round.

If it is either of these, I have serious doubts that it could “cut (you) in half” as Lt. Glombicki of the Chicago Police Department states.

The good Lieutenant is stuck in the position of defending that City of Chicago’s continuing efforts to deny its citizens certain constitutional rights, purportedly under the guise of “safety”. In addition, Mr. Wang is working for a paper with an editorial board that continues to support this suppression, by whatever means necessary.

Perhaps one day we will see truly unbiased reporting on firearms, both in reports from the City, and in the Tribune.

And Satan will serve me a snow cone...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Some people do not deserve to wear a badge, and these people should have theirs taken away

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#35]
tag
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It would be interesting to see this guy's background report.  I'll bet he has never had as much as a speeding ticket.  

Cheese dicks like the ones in this story are proof that if there is ever gun confiscation in this country, it will be the police picking them up.  And they will do it happily, despite the oath to support and defend the constitution, they take.  I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on Steve Glombiki if he was on fire.  

Getting out of Chicago was the best move I ever made in my life. Too many liberals interested in my gun safe, too many law-n-order redneck conservatives interested in my bedroom and too many Democrats interested in my wallet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FMJ sells a handgun that will fire either the 45 or 410, as does American Derringer, Magnum Research and several other manufacturers. I never knew it was against the law to have a handgun that could fire a shot shell - like the 410 or 28 ga. (thank GOD I don't live in the Peoples Republic of Chicago!!)

Personally, I think there is either more to the story, or the guy was arrested for COMPLETLY BOGUS REASONS.

eta -

i1.tinypic.com/nx0qap.jpg
both of these pistols are DESIGNED TO SHOOT SHOTGUN SHELLS - specifically, the 410 so, to the JBTs in Peoples Republic of Chicago - FUCK YOU!!!
i1.tinypic.com/nx0qqx.jpg

But on the other hand, if you cut down a shotgun, such as a Mossberg, to a size approximating a pistol, it's considered an AOW wtf gives ?  

If you build one from a stripped receiver into a pistol it is an AOW.  Your description makes it a short barreled shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#38]
What is this, 1993???

Anyone who lives in the area of Chicago (not just the city proper) and owns guns and STILL chooses to live there is an idiot and gets their just rewards.

BTW, Alex, I'll take "Darwin candidates" for $500
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i can't find his email.  Someone help me out

[email protected]

I wonder if related to joe wang?

Hey! I resemble that remark!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Seig Heil, Adolph Daly.

I hate retarded cops who are PUSSYS. Golumbki head probably took a few days off from the stress.

If all they had was a few people over a 4 day period go in and out of the house I wonder if a good lawyer could argue the case on those grounds alone.

Bet there was more shootings at the school across the street then at this guys house in the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So... just like assault weapon used to mean a fully automatic military style weapon, machine gun used to mean a fully automatic weapon meant for cover fire. Now both just mean a semi auto weapon? Jesus christ the media and gun grabbers are really fucking with gun language to fit their needs.

The police are the worst of all of them.

+1
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
My response. Hey, I got published about Jay Mariotti's rant about the Bears players getting to shoot guns at the FBI range... I could get published...

This letter is in response to your article in today’s paper by Andrew L. Wang (“Cache of guns seized on Southwest Side”)

While not defending him of illegal gun dealing (if he is in fact guilty of that offense), or delving into the "feel good" nonsense of Chicago firearm laws, I do take issue with several blatant falsehoods presented as facts in the article.

The “six inert grenades” are not illegal, as far as I am aware. Neither is the “military knife with a swastika”. Such items are included in the article (as well as the press releases by agencies about such incidents) to add fuel to an already burning fire of dislike, and to paint a more negative picture of an (as yet) unconvicted subject.

In addition, the “standard army-issue AR-15 rifle” and “semi-automatic machine gun” language appears to be more inflammatory rhetoric. The US Army has never had the AR-15 as a “standard issue” weapon. The US Army issues variants of the M16, a selective-fire weapon, that is, one capable of firing one or multiple shots with each pull of the trigger, depending on the position of the selector lever. This ability to fire multiple rounds with only one pull of the trigger is what makes it a “machine gun”. There is not, and never has been any such thing as a “semi-automatic machine gun”.

A “pistol designed to fire shotgun shells” is not illegal per se – there are many pistols that can fire either the .45 Long Colt or .410 shotgun shell that are quite legal, under both state and federal laws. In addition, boaters often use flare pistols that utilize a 12 gauge sized round.

If it is either of these, I have serious doubts that it could “cut (you) in half” as Lt. Glombicki of the Chicago Police Department states.

The good Lieutenant is stuck in the position of defending that City of Chicago’s continuing efforts to deny its citizens certain constitutional rights, purportedly under the guise of “safety”. In addition, Mr. Wang is working for a paper with an editorial board that continues to support this suppression, by whatever means necessary.

Perhaps one day we will see truly unbiased reporting on firearms, both in reports from the City, and in the Tribune.

And Satan will serve me a snow cone...

Most excellent!!! I wish I could write a letter to the editor like that.

You and Swindle1984 have nailed it perfectly without coming off like some foaming at the mouth "gun nut".

It'll be interesting to read any response from the misinformed asshat (assuming there is one).

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Some how, this needs brought to the attention of some pro gun lawyers. NRA RKBA and such. If I knew who or how to send this guy defence money for legal fee's I would. I would love to see america stand up and defend this guy, right to the supreme court.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If he's selling guns illegally, that's another story.  "Millitary issue AR15?" "inert granades" "semi-automatic machinegun?"- It made for a great story on the news last night, tables full of guns. I feel safe now that they got some of those "Inert grenades" off the street. I hear Shitcago is also trying to ban all pre and post ban sticks and stones
Real convienient  for the mayor at this time, with all the current attemps to ban EVERTHING.  you cant even own BBgun leagally in chicago-

Not to worry folks, just is just the liberal rag media doing their yearly duty on behalf of King Daley to write stories that support an Assault Weapons Ban in Illinois. Wipe your ass with the Tribune and all is well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I emailed, and got a response....

(Him in blue)

Tim,

I appreciate your comments. Please allow me to respond. See below.

Thanks for your input.

Andrew Wang

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:35 PM
To: Wang, Andrew L.
Subject: Read your article

I read your article today on the guns confiscated from
this man's house.

I have several questions:

If he was not charged with a crime, why were the
police at his house at all?  Did they execute a search
warrant?  What judge issued it?
AW: A person can be arrested based on probable cause. In fact, it's usually the case that a suspect is arrested and charged later. The police did have a search warrant for the man's house and they were executing it.

Do you know anything about guns, or even the law in
general?  Having read your article, it seems as if
you're confused as to what is illegal (inert grenades
and knives are perfectly legal objects to own).  Is
there a reason that these were mentioned?

AW: Nowhere in the article does it state that owning the knife or the inert grenades are illegal. These items were seized in the search and there is inherent news value to mentioning them in the story. Mentioning them does not imply wrongdoing. It simply reports what was recovered.

Can you please define the following terms for me:

Standard army issue AR-15 rifle (Army does not issue
AR-15s)

Semi-automatic machine gun (legal definition of a
machine gun is a firearm that fires more than one shot
with one pull of the trigger.  Semi automatic means
one pull of trigger, one shot.  Seems these terms are
a contradiction)

AW: This is a fair criticism and we are printing a clarification to address it. The AR-15 is a civilian rifle and not issued by the military.

Brand new sniper rifles (and what makes a "sniper
rifle" and a "hunting rifle" any different based on
your definition?)

AW: In this circumstance, I asked an ATF agent if the rifles I was looking at were hunting rifles. He said they were not typically used for hunting, but that many snipers for police departments use them. It was on that basis that I referred to the rifles as sniper rifles. I took the agent to be a credible source for the information.

I'd also like to inform you of a few things.  One is
that selling a firearm from your private collection is
perfectly legal without a license.  You need a license
to become a dealer of firearms, but so long as you
comply with the law it is perfectly legal to sell
firearms, just like you'd sell an old car or an old
hammer if you didn't have any use for it anymore.

AW: Here is the section of the Chicago municipal code that talks about sale of firearms.
8-20-170 Permissible sales and transfers of firearms and ammunition.
(a)   No firearm may be sold or otherwise transferred within the City of Chicago except through a licensed weapons dealer as defined in Chapter 4-144 of the Municipal Code of the City of Chicago.
(b)   No ammunition may be sold or otherwise transferred within the City of Chicago except through a licensed shooting gallery or gun club as defined in Chapter 4-149, a licensed weapons dealer as defined in Chapter 4-144 or as otherwise allowed by the Municipal Code of the City of Chicago.
(c)   No firearm or ammunition shall be security for, or be taken or received by way of any mortgage, deposit, pledge or pawn.
(d)   No person may loan, borrow, give or rent to or from another person, any firearm or ammunition except in accordance with this chapter.
(e)   A peace officer may additionally sell or transfer any lawfully held firearm or ammunition to another peace officer in accordance with the other provisions of this chapter.
(f)   Except as allowed by subsection (e) of this section, no person may sell, offer for sale, barter or transfer within the city any ammunition listed in Section 4-144-061 of this Code.

It's a shame that the tone of your article is also as
if to make every gun owner seem like a criminal.
Terms like "weapons".  I've got news for you.  Every
gun is not a "weapon".  I highly doubt you'd refer to
a police officer's service pistol as a "weapon" as
it's designed to protect life, not take it.  I'm not
sure why you chose to use such a term, but your bias
is speaking for itself.

AW: No bias was intended from using the word "weapon." As I write this, I am sitting in the press room we use at Chicago Police Headquarters. In an informal survey of the officers on duty here, most of them said they use "weapon" and "firearm" interchangeably.

I think it's a shame that newspapers have lost all
credibility by printing stories in the tone like the
one that you chose to print yours in.  It's an awfully
rotten shame.  There are millions of guns in this
country that are never used in crimes.  Thousands of
times every day in this country, a gun is used to
protect life.  Our very protectors of our rights, that
apprehend the criminals that you write about, carry
firearms EVERY day as part of their uniform.

It's really a shame.  It seems like you need some
training, and some experience on this subject.  I
suggest that you explore, and exercise your 2nd
amendment rights.  Get yourself an Illinois FOID card
and rent a gun at the range.  Get some safety
instruction and fire a few rounds.  It sounds like you
need it.  It'd be valuable experience to help you
understand proper terminology when you're writing your
articles.

I'm looking forward to your response,

Tim

And my response....

A sniper rifle is the same thing as a hunting rifle.  The two are both intended to do the same thing, place a bullet accurately at a long distance.  The intended target doesn't severely change the equipment.  The word sniper implies that the firearm was to be used for ill intent.

I question why there was no mention of the search warrant.  A search warrant IS probable cause.  While an officer can make the detirmination that he indeed has probable cause and search the residence anyway, going before a judge, giving the evidence, and receiving a search warrant simply means that the judge agrees with you, and that you do indeed have probable cause.  That said, I'm somewhat disappointed that you did not mention that a search warrant was executed.  I personally believe that was/is very important information, and should have been included in the article.  In my opinion, it would make it seem more like sound police work instead of anti-gun action towards the public.  I'm still wondering why he is not charged with a crime if a search warrant was issued and executed, though.

We're in disagreement on the issue of the grenades and knives.  In my opinion, the only reason those were mentioned was to make the reader think the person is a Nazi or intends to use a grenade.  I think those comments were in bad taste, but I do see your point in reporting what was seized.

When you print your retraction about an AR-15 not being a military rifle, why don't you go ahead and print one about there being no such thing as a semi automatic machine gun?  I have already provided an oversimplified definition of a legal machine gun, and it should be obvious that a semi automatic rifle is not the same thing as a select fire machine gun by legal definition.

Police officers investigate crimes, sometimes ones that involve using a firearm as a weapon.  You're asking a biased source.  None of my firearms are weapons.  I only use them to shoot targets.  When I was in the Army, it was a weapon because its intended purpose was to kill people or destroy things.  I do not use the term weapon to refer to my firearms because they are not intended to be used that way unless my life is in danger.  It's at that time, and only that time, that a firearm becomes a weapon.  That's why I reject the notion that you used the term without bias.  The word weapon is intended to imply an instrument of attack or defense.  A firearm is not a weapon unless it is used as such.

If the man violated an ordinance by selling a firearm in Chicago, that should have been mentioned.  I do not live in Chicago, so I was not aware of the ordinance that applies here.  I apologize for that.  Either way, selling a firearm is no big deal as long as the law is complied with anywhere else in the state.  Because it's to be expected that all of your readers to not know Chicago's ordinance against the sale of firearms by private individuals, I think that should have been mentioned here, as it would explain why the act that was committed is indeed wrongdoing.

Guns are not popular in the media.  It's a shame that some people choose to commit crimes.  That said, it's also a shame that some of those people choose to use guns to commit crime.  That doesn't make the rest of the law-abiding citizens in this country that do own guns, horrible.  We're lawful gun owners.  Not owners of, "Weapons" as you put it.

I appreciate your response.  I will be printing this and sharing it with my college class.  I do hope you choose your words more wisely the next time you do choose to print an article about guns in general.  Guns are not bad, it's criminals that choose to use guns to do the wrong thing that are bad, and that needs to be reflected in any article that is printed on this topic.

Thank you,

Tim

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Just like ROACHES they scurry for cover when you turn on the lights !! ---  before he was just a idiot , making mistakes , now the guy sounds like a LAWYER ! ---  you question his "journalism" and he trys to weasel his way out of all his previous inflamitory bull sht ! by Parcing each word like Klintoon-  ILLINOIS is a lost cause for gunowners- i hope people in RED STATES dont put up with this kinda Sht. happen to them !!!  too bad he did not put as much "research" into his original story , as he seems to have -in responding to your email defending himself !!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#47]

WHY  would anyone live in Chicago much less Illinois  ???

I think  IL  is worse than Kali !
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice quotes by the head of the Chicago PD gun unit.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  It is Chicago.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

WHY  would anyone live in Chicago much less Illinois  ???

I think  IL  is worse than Kali !

Accident of birth in my case ! ,  seriously , outside of the Chicago area - it is good - typicall PREZ. election county by county red - blue --- IMO  - minorities , females , and unions are giving it to honest gun owners up the AZZ ,  - course to a liberal there is no such thing as a "honest gun owner"
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
It's amazing how the media is trying to paint in the most unfriendly light as possible.  He has a sizeable collection of firearms so he automaticlly has some criminal intent of shooting someone.
He lives across the alley from the school...How dare he put those children at risk!  He has a Nazi knife, therefore, he must be a Nazi.

Going out on a limb.........My bet is the old guy has been collecting for a long while, his only crime is refusing to register the weapons for fear of having them seized.

The very thing many of us have threatened not to do.

+1 I hope that everyone involved suddenly comes down with the avian flu.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top