Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/16/2006 6:14:57 AM EDT

Other unbiased comments highlited for your amusment, frustration and anger...

Cache of guns seized on Southwest Side

By Andrew L. Wang
Tribune staff reporter
Published February 16, 2006

Guns. Lots of them.

Big ones and small ones. Pump shotguns and six-shot revolvers. World War I-era single-action shooters and brand-new sniper rifles with the factory tags still on them.

In all, Chicago police seized more than 300 firearms and thousands of rounds of ammunition Wednesday from a Southwest Side home across an alley from an elementary school.

"To the best of my recollection, this is the largest gun seizure ever in Chicago," said Lt. Stephen Glombicki, who heads the Calumet Area gun unit.

Police arrested a 63-year-old man at his house in the 3700 block of West 62nd Place after monitoring the house for four days.

The man has not yet been charged. Glombicki said he was being held on suspicion that he was selling weapons out of his house without a license. He could also be charged with not registering any of the firearms.

Also recovered were six inert grenades, a military knife with a swastika on the handle and the phrase "Blut und Ehre"--German for "blood and honor"--on the blade and a standard army-issue AR-15 rifle. Police allege the man was trying to convert the semi-automatic machine gun to fully automatic, a violation of federal law.

"You don't hunt with this," Glombicki said of the rifle. "This is strictly a military weapon."

Police also found a pistol designed to fire shotgun shells--also illegal under federal law.

"It's a very dangerous, ferocious weapon," Glombicki said. From about 6 feet away, "it could cut you in half."

He said officers received a tip last week that the man was selling weapons from his house. They monitored the man's home and saw several people come and go from the residence over a period of four days.

On Wednesday at about 10:30 a.m., they moved in and arrested the man, said Glombicki. He remains in police custody.

Eric Ellis of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said police and ATF agents are still investigating where the man got the guns and what he planned to do with them. They will also perform ballistics tests to determine if any of the weapons have been used in a crime.

www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-0602160271feb16,1,5281881.story?coll=chi-newslocalchicago-hed
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if was an ice cream truck driver?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Now THAT is some informed and unbiased reporting!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#3]
hope he shiped my order before he was busted..

come one... were else can you get a semi auto MG?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#4]
So... just like assault weapon used to mean a fully automatic military style weapon, machine gun used to mean a fully automatic weapon meant for cover fire. Now both just mean a semi auto weapon? Jesus christ the media and gun grabbers are really fucking with gun language to fit their needs.

I had better go register my semi auto machine gun and get a permit for it since they make everybody believe you need registration and a permit/license too!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So... just like assault weapon used to mean a fully automatic military style weapon, machine gun used to mean a fully automatic weapon meant for cover fire. Now both just mean a semi auto weapon? Jesus christ the media and gun grabbers are really fucking with gun language to fit their needs.

The police are the worst of all of them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#6]
How do they know he was trying to convert it? He almost had the hole for the auto sear drilled through but then changed his mind?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Some people do not deserve to wear a badge, and these people should have theirs taken away
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How do they know he was trying to convert it? He almost had the hole for the auto sear drilled through but then changed his mind?

He had a pack of unregistered shoe laces would be my guess.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Inert grenades and WWII items are illegal, too?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Good thing he didn't have one of those dummy 30mm rounds.  You could take out the moon with one of those things.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#11]

"it could cut you in half."

Is Heir Officer sure he wasn't talking about a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#12]
FMJ sells a handgun that will fire either the 45 or 410, as does American Derringer, Magnum Research and several other manufacturers. I never knew it was against the law to have a handgun that could fire a shot shell - like the 410 or 28 ga. (thank GOD I don't live in the Peoples Republic of Chicago!!)

Personally, I think there is either more to the story, or the guy was arrested for COMPLETLY BOGUS REASONS.

eta -

both of these pistols are DESIGNED TO SHOOT SHOTGUN SHELLS - specifically, the 410 so, to the JBTs in Peoples Republic of Chicago - FUCK YOU!!!

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#13]
He's a criminal for nothing more than excercising his constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#14]
*gasp* you mean people own German WWII collectables?!  Ban them for the children.

Douche bags  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#15]
fucking faggots
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Police also found a pistol designed to fire shotgun shells--also illegal under federal law.

WTF

How about the thunder .45?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

WTF

How about the thunder .45?

I believe the Thunderer was classified as a destructive device by the ATF.

Magnum research makes the BFR which also takes .410 shotgun shells, and is classified as a normal pistol...

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#18]
If he's selling guns illegally, that's another story.  "Millitary issue AR15?" "inert granades" "semi-automatic machinegun?"-he
Real convienient  for the mayor at this time, with all the current attemps to ban EVERTHING.  you cant even own BBgun leagally in chicago-
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#19]
It would be interesting to see this guy's background report.  I'll bet he has never had as much as a speeding ticket.  

Cheese dicks like the ones in this story are proof that if there is ever gun confiscation in this country, it will be the police picking them up.  And they will do it happily, despite the oath to support and defend the constitution, they take.  I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on Steve Glombiki if he was on fire.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Retards.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#21]
i can't find his email.  Someone help me out
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Bloodthirsty savage!

I'll bet all the stormtroopers went home safely that night, too!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Thousands of rounds of ammo huh?
Thank God they caught this lunatic.
Thank God we saved those kids!

I can sleep better now knowing the police and media are protecting us.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:47:09 AM EDT
[#24]

"You don't hunt with this," Glombicki said of the rifle.

Damn, I hunt with mine all the time.

"This is strictly a military weapon."

Well, I suppose you could consider varmints more of a para-military terrorist group than an organized army, but hey, that's just splittin' hairs really...

What was it Bill Murray called that gopher in Caddy Shack?  Oh yeah... Varmint Cong. LOL

And I guess the back forty can be considered my "Theatre of Operations".

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:48:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a friend go to Chicago over the holidays and he said his cousins car was broken into and it was wiped clean including Christmas presents. Sure sounds like a safe place to me especially with all the restrictions on firearms. Those dipshits in Chicago have .
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1

this should be a fire mission based solely on the poor reporting and mis-information.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#27]

From about 6 feet away, "it could cut you in half."

That's good to know. I have a 2' diameter tree I need to cut down. Using my "semi-automatic machine gun" AR-15 will much more fun to use than the chainsaw.

Smooth bore handguns are a no-no. Handguns that shoot shotgun shells are okay.

And why is it I have a feeling this elderly gentleman is liquidating his lifetime collection, and as such he wouldn't need a license to sell his guns*.

* - except for whatever Shitcago or Illinois may require.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

[email protected]

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

[email protected]

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#30]
tag for home...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[email protected]

I wonder if related to joe wang?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:02:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Amazing....  I don't know if he actually did anything wrong or not ,but that reporter is a farktard.  

I guess hes just a dangerous psychopath for going over the one deer rifle and one shotgun standard.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Funny how most of us are bashing the reporter (and rightfully so), but the dumbass stormtrooper who gave the reporter all the dumbass comments gets a free pass.

It isn't the reporter who's destroying people's lives and then getting up on a soapbox proclaiming to have caged a rabid animal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Funny how most of us are bashing the reporter (and rightfully so), but the dumbass stormtrooper who gave the reporter all the dumbass comments gets a free pass.

It isn't the reporter who's destroying people's lives and then getting up on a soapbox proclaiming to have caged a rabid animal.

agreed 50%.

but the reporter should have at least looked into the legality of knives and iron rocks before the write-up. he probably didn't have to sensationalize quite so much either.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I just got off the  phone with Lt. Glombicki, he is a fucktard
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Give it to me. I'll call.

Edited so as to not offend the spineless.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Fire for effect
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

From his quotes, you thought he'd be otherwise?

Molon Labe my friends...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Details... what did he have to say?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Details... what did he have to say?

He asked me if I believe everything that press prints,

Glombicki said:

I could say ABC and they will print MNOP

Blah, blah, blah
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Sir,

I have read some biased, sensationalized B.S. before but this article takes this years top honors:
"Cache of guns seized on Southwest Side"

Lets examine some of the neutral, and unbiased language used shall we?  It should be a blast.

1.) "brand-new sniper rifles with the factory tags still on them" -- What's a brand new sniper rifle?  Is that any firearm that is accurate?  Is that any firearm with a scope on top?  Is my dad's Rem 700 with Leupold scope a scary sniper rifle?  Come to think of it, how many of the guns in question used "sniper" in any product description?

2.) "Chicago police seized more than 300 firearms and thousands of rounds of ammunition Wednesday from a Southwest Side home across an alley from an elementary school" -- Really?  People with guns might live near a school?  Was he selling guns to school kids?  Was he known to fire rounds into the school?  No.  So then that was just tossed in for the "my god, think of the children" aspect right?

3.) "standard army-issue AR-15 rifle" -- I've talked to numerous friends and relatives in the army and other branches of service.  When I ask what they were issued I can assure you not ONE was issued a semi-automatic AR-15 of any kind. Even a cursory investigation of the "facts" presented to you by the "Experts" in the CPD would have shown that to be false.  Maybe you didn't have the time.

4.) "You don't hunt with this," Glombicki said of the rifle. "This is strictly a military weapon." -- Really?  So those hordes of people who use the AR-15 for varmint hunting, target shooting, and boar hunting are part of some secret military organization?  Are they actually elite special operators sanctioned by the government to conduct the "war on small game"?  Once again, a few minutes of time researching the comments made would have showed them to be demonstrably false.  But I guess you still didn't have time.

There are many other statements that, while they could be correct, were obviously made simply to increase the drama in your article.  I'm sure you'll tell us all though that the paper and the reporters have no agenda or bias, they just report the "facts" as presented and you stand by your writing.  That's fine.  I certainly find it hard to accept much of what the CPD or the Tribune says as fact when the statements above are so inaccurate as to create the impression of deliberate deception. Rest assured to anyone with any knowledge of firearms it is obvious as well. Credibility is easy to loose and hard to regain; you lost.   If this is what you call reporting at your paper you should be ashamed to place your name next to it.

Grunteled
Missouri.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#42]
E-mail sent to Wang
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#43]

my letter to the paper:

To Whom It May Concern:

In response to your recent article in the Tribune, I am writing to voice my frustration over your apparent lack of research and objectivity, along with your healthy “sensationalist” reporting style.

Much of the maligned equipment, which was apparently seized, is not even remotely illegal. From the World War I and World War II memorabilia (“…six inert grenades, a military knife with a swastika on the handle…”) to the deer hunting rifles (“…sniper rifle…”).

Of the other seized “contraband”, none appeared to be illegal either, including the AR15 which is not a “…semi-automatic machine gun…” (no such weapon exists, and the terms themselves are mutually exclusive), is not “…standard army-issue…”, and is not [in any capacity whatsoever]  “…strictly a military weapon.” In fact, considering that the AR15 has not ever been issued to any military or military-type forces anywhere in the world, it is specifically NOT a military weapon at all.

This type of reporting is bigoted against the law abiding, gun owning, citizenship in which you live, and does an immense disservice to your readers.

Please, report the news instead of a Hollywood action film where a pistol actually could, “…cut you in half.”

Regards,

bullyforyou

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#45]
I think he was plan'n on using all 300 firearms to take down the school across the street
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#46]
And to think that I will probably be moving from the great machine gun state of MI to IL sometime this year.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

thats pretty damn funny
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
FMJ sells a handgun that will fire either the 45 or 410, as does American Derringer, Magnum Research and several other manufacturers. I never knew it was against the law to have a handgun that could fire a shot shell - like the 410 or 28 ga. (thank GOD I don't live in the Peoples Republic of Chicago!!)

Personally, I think there is either more to the story, or the guy was arrested for COMPLETLY BOGUS REASONS.

eta -

i1.tinypic.com/nx0qap.jpg
both of these pistols are DESIGNED TO SHOOT SHOTGUN SHELLS - specifically, the 410 so, to the JBTs in Peoples Republic of Chicago - FUCK YOU!!!
i1.tinypic.com/nx0qqx.jpg

yeah, and they could cut you in half from 6 ft away
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#49]
if the "tag" is still on the weapon then maybe it has yet to be used in a crime? Or is it a crime in and of itself to leave this "tag" on the weapon?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#50]
It's amazing how the media is trying to paint in the most unfriendly light as possible.  He has a sizeable collection of firearms so he automaticlly has some criminal intent of shooting someone.
He lives across the alley from the school...How dare he put those children at risk!  He has a Nazi knife, therefore, he must be a Nazi.

Going out on a limb.........My bet is the old guy has been collecting for a long while, his only crime is refusing to register the weapons for fear of having them seized.

The very thing many of us have threatened not to do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top