Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2001 7:19:30 AM EDT
I was wondering if any of you folks could tell me a little about proper storage of AR's in humid climates.

I currently keep my AR's in Pelican cases, in my home, which is air conditioned. This is in South Florida mind you, so it's just about as humid as it gets in this country.

I haven't experienced any problems yet, but just thought I'd ask and see if there's a "best" way to keep my rifles safe from rust.

As usual, thanks for the ideas.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a safe?

Before I had a decent gun safe I would store mine out of the cases with a light coat of oil or WD-40.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Be LIBERAL.............with a helping of Break Free CLP.  Also throw a small silica gel pack in the gun case.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
A light coat of Break-free CLP inside a safe with a golden rod is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't own a safe.....yet. In the mean time, extra lube is the way to go? Someone once posted that rifles shouldn't be kept in cases like Pelicans because they don't "breath". Is this true? Would it be safer to keep it out of the case?[?]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
P.S.- Save the lecture on getting a safe. I will get one soon, and in the mean time my two large, VERY protective rotties love keeping my guns safe. [img]www.guarddogtraining.com.au/assets/images/sign.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I currently keep my AR's in Pelican cases, in my home, which is air conditioned. This is in South Florida mind you, so it's just about as humid as it gets in this country.
View Quote

I don't think you have anything to worry about, mainly because you keep them inside in an air-conditioned environment.  I would put them in a closet or someplace where the air stays relatively still.

It probably wouldn't hurt to keep ARs inside the Pelican cases, but I wouldn't keep blued steel rifles there.  Those are better kept lightly oiled (with something OTHER than WD-40) or better yet, waxed, placed in a soft fabric case, and stored in a closet or some such.  Just be sure to check on 'em occasionally in case there are any adverse effects happening.

Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Not that I am a poet, but, regular routine manitenance with CLP, will keep your AR 'problem' free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top