Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2001 8:38:17 PM EDT
I know Beretta makes a 40 cal version of the 92 called the 96.  Can this weapon accept a drop in barrel that shoots 357Sig?  I know the Sig P229 does, but the one I owned was extremly dissappointing in reliablity.  I'm not trying to start a flame war and I don't care what you think about Sigs.  Is the Beretta 96 able to shoot 357Sig, YES OR NO.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
well, if there was a conversion for it, I would have known about it by now :-)

Seriously though, I dont think there is a conversion for it, there is no .357 sig barrel out there for the beretta that I am aware of, or have even heard of.

Oh, for your 229 conversion, did you have to use different magazines?  
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Marksman.  As for my 229, I bought it in 357Sig config wanting to buy a 40 cal barrel later.  The gun never fired ONE mag reliably and I only used factory Speer or UMC ammo.  I still think Sig is a good gun, just was unhappy with their customer service at the time.  Maybe I caught someone on a bad day.  I thought they should have replaced my gun or at least have done some work on it.  That is another story.  I love my Beretta 92FS and I thinke that size of pistol would be perfect for the 357Sig rnd.  I hope in the future the 96 will have 357 barrels aviable.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto what he said...

If there was one, I'd have it.
I've got a 92FS and a 96...
The wife shoots the 9mm & I shoot the .40 cal...

Have you looked into any "HOT" loads for the .40 ???
I've got some stuff from MAGTECH, and it's pushing a 155gr JHP at 1205 FPS with 500 Ft.Lbs. of energy...
That's definately .357 territory...

Just to compare #'s...

Their 185gr JHP .45 AUTO +P is going at 1148 FPS and has 540 Ft.Lbs. of energy...

-AND-

Their 115gr JHP 9mm +P is going at 1246 FPS and has 397 Ft.Lbs. of energy...

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Fellow Beretta enthusiasts:

That idea has crossed my mind and maybe the question can be posed on the BerettaForum.com [url]http://www.beretta-forum.com/[/url].

Meanwhile, my latest Jerry's Sport Center, Inc. flyer lists a "new" Beretta Cougar 835 in .357 SIG.
I don't know any more about it, other than there is a Beretta in that caliber being made available.

I'd prefer the 96 platform, though.  The interchangeable barrels would be a blast, especially a longer/ported one in the .357 SIG.

As for the magazines, theoretically they should be useable in both calibers.

I will state that I would prefer a hot .40 or even a 10mm in the 96 or Cougar platform, respectively.  But, the .357 SIG is a good cartridge in its own right.

Check out the Beretta Forum and see what they can offer in the way of information.
(I went there and posed the question already under the Topic title---"Berettas in .357 SIG"---I am [b]CENTURION[/b] on that Forum.)
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Dragracerart.  It is good to know that there may be a market.  I don't own a 96 yet, but if the 357 option for a 96 becomes availbe, then that may be a different story.  I think that a 96 platform in 357Sig would be a very nice piece for all around use, except concealed carry.  My .22 does fine there.  I didn't mean to seem arrogant with my yes or no answer deal, just didn't want to start a Sig/Beretta flame war.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#6]
A flame war over guns ???
....HERE ???
....On AR15.com ???

NAAAAAHHHHHH....Not here.[:)]

Everybody knows the Beretta is the best handgun EVER ! [:)]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Bar-sto barrels makes a .357 SIG barrel for the .40-caliber Beretta.  Try www.barsto.com.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
....HERE ???
....On AR15.com ???

View Quote

Except of course for the 1911 .45!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
well, if there was a conversion for it, I would have known about it by now :-)

Seriously though, I dont think there is a conversion for it, there is no .357 sig barrel out there for the beretta that I am aware of, or have even heard of.

Oh, for your 229 conversion, did you have to use different magazines?  
View Quote

I use the same mags for my SIG 229 .40/.357SIG combo...
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
....HERE ???
....On AR15.com ???

View Quote

Except of course for the 1911 .45!
View Quote

Of course ! That goes without saying !
I love my Springfield too !!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]
As a side note there is a 9mm /.40 S&W conversion Beretta out there.  But I would recommend another pistol.  Berettas are lame.

MG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top