Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2001 1:43:41 PM EDT
Has anybody on this board ever been severely dehydrated?  If so, what did you do about it and how long did it take to recover from it?  thanks for your response...
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Severe dehydration should be treated with intravenous fluids. If not accessible, plenty of water, given in small amounts. Salt helps, also in small amounts, usually salty foods such as chips. Don't over do the salt though.

Never been dehydrated. I have administered lots of IV fluids to patients though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally never have been severly dehydrated to the point of needing IV's.

But other family memebers have been. It took them about 4-5 days to be able to get up and move around (slowly). Another week before they were back to normal (if you could call it that).

Thing that still freaks me out is the smell of alcohol on their breath when they are dehydrated. Even though they were never near the stuff. Just a freaky thing of the human body.

Personally I do get to experience moderate dehydration around once a month. Tend to forget to drink enough when out sometimes. Thinking it is going to be a short trip out, leave the water bottle behind. Turns out to be an all day adventure, arrrrgh. Get flushed, headaches, really sleepy. After awhile you get used the signals. Quickly go inside with some A/C, grab a [b]huge[/b] bottle of water. Lay down and slowly drink. Learned the hard way to not just guzzle down the water. Man I hate puke'n.

Phoenix in the summer sucks. This is just being IN TOWN runing errands!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I still feel the effects of dehydration from my army days. We were being used as a test bed unit, and the new organizational makeup had some real teething problems. One was supply. There were not enough water buffalo's (water wagons) to go around, so getting resupplied with water was problematical. We didn't get water in the Texas summer heat for a day. My od green t shirt was white from the salt I had sweated. I broke out in a sweat as soon as I was able to drink some water. I have kidney stones to this day, 25 years later.
This was not uncommon for the whole year of the division restructure study. We did have some casulties due to the lack of water in the heat. I know the one canteen cup of lime koolaid I got one especially one dry day, was nectar of the gods. Ice cold, and sweet, on a terrible hot, dry Texas night. Makes you appreciate the simple things...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top