Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2001 8:53:06 PM EDT
It takes quite a bit to piss me off, but I've absolutely had it.  Allow me to rant a bit please.  My wife has two brothers, one works for Warner Brothers, computer tech or something, the other is in the Navy.  About three months ago her mother calls, seems her live in moved out and left her with 4K in back payments on her mortagage.  Well, being the loving husband I tell her to use our money until she can get in touch with her brothers.  Three months has gone by and we've yet to see a dime from the SOB's.  What kind of man does'nt step up when his mother needs him?  This woman always sends gifts to her children every year, it's not like she beat the crap outta them when they were kids.  I am now royally pissed (could'nt sleep because of it now you guys gotta put up with me) and have about decided to just dish out a couple of ass kickings at the next family get togather.  Hell, we could have used the money, my wife is six months pregnant, and we've got the same bills everyone else does.  Am I not being understanding enough?  I mean one is 31 and the other is 21, should'nt they be old enough to know that you take care of family?  SOB!  I think I'm gonna have a stroke, if I don't kill one of them first!  Rant off, I think.  I just don't want to give the wife an ass chewing, it's really not her fault, but christ what the hell is wrong with these two?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
well if the 21yo is in the navy, then he aint got no money being young and in the military, now its a different story for the 31yo, but they should at least TRY and help pay something, or at least say thanks for helping out the family.
id be pissed too

ive been through crap like this, family and money. when this combination gets together it can turn out BAD.
lets just say my aunt and uncle screwed over the entire family while dealing with the estate of passed on family member, and then TRIED TO DO IT AGAIN to there own father.

a lot of people will think 'it wont happen to MY family' ...BULLSHIT, it can and will, very sickening you cant even trust your own blood.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The wife did'nt ask for the money up front, just for them to send something when they could.  Guess I need to tell them to send something NOW!  Or I'm gonna kick their sorry asses.

Edited cause I can't spell when I'm angry.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the wonderful unintended consequences of Social Security. It not only relieves people of the responsibility of planning their own retirement, it helps destroy families by allowing family members to count on the government instead of each other.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe sometimes, an ass kicking is a good thing, maybe sometimes people need one, consequences and repercussions.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You really don't need the sons appreciation for what you've done to be remembered as a good thing, and a charitable act. different people appreciate different things. you can't make someone appreciate something. my wife loves ballet. i go with her because she likes me to come, and its a bunch of girls jumping around in tight costumes and you can see their nipples. you live a better life than the sons if you appreciate your own mother and your wife's as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The wife did'nt ask for the money up front, just for them to send something when they could...
View Quote

This is definitely no time for the wife to be subtle.  A good ass kickin' isn't due unless they know the true scope of their inaction.  Then, by all means, give them solid lesson in honor and duty.

Tell them what you've done and how much you are out, and tell them you expect them to split the costs.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#7]
My best friend is going through a similar situation.

His 75yr. old mom lives with him and he takes care of her. And all the other expenses that S.S. and medicare ect. doesn't cover.

He is the youngest, at 38, and is single. They are a close family and visit and call often.

His sister sends a couple of hundred every month or two. His three brothers rarely send anything. Their excuse is "we have bills too", "we are sending our kids to college"."Sam can take care of her better because he dosen't have kids". Hell he dosen't have a life [b]BECAUSE[/b] he is the sole provider to their mom.

One sister-in-law is the postmaster and the other works at the same post office. Small town, 3-4 employees.

It is just so damn easy to rationalize that you have it tougher than everyone else.

Mom had a mild heart attack a couple of weeks ago, and is doing fine now, so maybe, just maybe the others will help with the new bills and wake up and help out.  

Okay, my rant mode is .
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I can partially sympathize with your situation.  I have two bro and two sis.  One bro thinks nothing of taking money from mom.  We are selling land (worth 6,000) and he offered to help her if he got 1,500 and everyone else would get 1,000.  No one wants the money since my mom needs it.  He is such a bastard for taking money.  He does not need it.  He doesnt act like a son.  I too feel like beating the crap out of him.  My dear older asshole brother.
You are a good man and did the right thing.  Just let your expectations known (thru your wife talking with her bros).
Asshole's abound on earth unfortunately.  I seem to know too many of them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah, I can see why you'd be PO'd.

People like this is why I've instituted teh policy of NEVER lending money I want  to be repaid for.

Either make it a GIFT, or don't give it.

Makes me kinda stingy, but also I've never yet gotten mad at someone over $$$.

Pick yer poison.

Hope it works out, and congrats on the up and coming little "cib"
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One of the wonderful unintended consequences of Social Security. It not only relieves people of the responsibility of planning their own retirement, it helps destroy families by allowing family members to count on the government instead of each other.
View Quote

ahhhh.  someone after my own heart!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]
AND ANOTHER THING!!!!!.....if it were to actually ever get far enough, it`s NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to take a family member to court, over such an issue!..........[grenade]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top