Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2001 7:28:29 AM EDT
What is the difference? Why are they banned?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
btt
View Quote

The USR is the civilian semi-auto version of the AUG.  It has the same receiver, front grip, and barrel, but it lacks a flash compensator and it has this funky pistol-grip "guard" behind the grip.

They are banned because of the '89 "AK47" law which doesn't allow any military weapons to be imported into the U.S.  Thus, only the weapons imported before that time or cloned weapons made in the U.S., using not more than 10 foreign parts to create the firearm, are allowed.

That's the basic idea, someone please feel free to ammend or add-on to my reply.
[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/new jew.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The AUG is the Real deal, just in semi automatic form for us.  AUG stands for somthing like "Armee Universal Gewehr".  It has a Flash hider, a pistol grip, and a forward pistol grip. (That forward pg, may be aftermarket) These were banned from import by Daddy Bush's non sporting intent import ban in '89.  Imported rifles after that point could only have one of the "evil" features we all talk about.  The one that is always chosen first is the detachable magazine.

The USR (Universal Sporting Rifle) is an AUG with an unthreaded barrel, and a stock that had it's pistol grip altered enough for the Feds to consider it a thumbhole. Ergo, the only evil feature it has is the magazine.

Keep in mind that the rules have changed since then, so even the USR wouldn't pass now days.

The bottom line is that the USR is a postban AUG.  

The AUG:
[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=36353&a=1534340&p=16174895&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
oh why oh why! cant somebody make'em here. even in post-ban configuration it is still a neat rifle.

...and of course convert them to accept AR mags!!

AUGless lib [sniper]

the m-17 needs competition. here here for U.S. made AUG receivers!!!!....and parts kits...
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#5]
DriftPunch, why did you have to go and post that pic! Makes me regret selling my AUG. I bought mine when the first came into the US for $885. Sold it a year ago with the 20 mags for $4500. I still wish I hadn't sold it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#6]
And this one aint no add.. [:)]

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/XZ/x5/xU/LA87453.jpg[/img]

and to really crush you guys, wanna know how much new Steyr AUGs cost in average today here, yes they are imported and stocked by the Steyr importer.

About 1700$, the A2 version with the rail only is a litte more to that, not much though. [beer]

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Tuuka,

Dagnamit.  Now I got to go check the safe.

Nope.  Still there.

Hey, I do like the scope covers. I got these stupid plastic caps that are so easy to lose and don't really like to stay in.  Was that what came with yours?

james
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
oh why oh why! cant somebody make'em here. even in post-ban configuration it is still a neat rifle.

...and of course convert them to accept AR mags!!

AUGless lib [sniper]

the m-17 needs competition. here here for U.S. made AUG receivers!!!!....and parts kits...
View Quote

DONE...

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LAAAABUOcCQYfzz0dB1gG63JAmDNcX8XSR6LyCJ5Eu5z1245ji*ofO57mv7x0vFSpsxfUNFG58U/0001.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a pic of the USR:
[img]http://www.scs.wsu.edu/~pbourque/images/guns/usr.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top