Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2001 9:47:04 PM EDT
Just a quick dumb question...
I've gotten different answers from different people...

I've got a CCL, but if I choose to carry my 1911, it's a bit tough to hide...

If not, I'll just stick to "hiding" my .357 snubby.

...ART
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Open carry is not legal as far as I know. Why don't you call the sheriff's office that issued your permit? I know that with the CCL it is supposed to be "under cover".
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't sure but that's 'kinda what I thought...

I got the CCL several years ago, (It's good for 5 years) and don't remember the specifics on whats legal and whats not...

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I know what you mean, I had a discussion a few days ago with some friends over CCL's. We were tring to remember if it was illegal to carry in a bar. I know it is illegal in several states. The best we could come up with was it was frowned upon but not illegal in Pa.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, the law doesn't address open carry. Since it is not addressed, open carry is legal, except in Philly.

But, if you have a license it might get taken away.

here are some good links for you:

[url]http://www.packing.org/news/2000/09/14/2291.shtml[/url]
[url]http://www.packing.org/news/2000/09/19/2310.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 3:07:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Va allows it. [:D]

Carrying without a CCW permit:  
In Virginia, one may carry self-defense handguns in the open with no license. BEWARE: a few cities have pre-1987grandfathered-in laws that allow them to prohibit open carry. But there are only a few of these places. state law overrides this forself-defense handguns in vehicles. the hassle factor varies. carrying concealed in places that serve alcohol is prohibited, evenlicensed, but open carry there is allowed.  

Btw, I don't think I've ever seen anyone in VA open carrying.  I like that last sentence of the above paragraph.  You can't carry concealed at places which server alcohol, but you can open cary.  rofl.  [:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 4:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm going down to pick up my permit today, I'll ask and also see if they have any literature.
It took 3 months for my renewal to be approved.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Btw, I don't think I've ever seen anyone in VA open carrying.  
View Quote

I saw a guy not too long ago go into Hardee's wearing a S&W auto.  He appeared to be a truck driver.

And a couple of years ago, I read about a guy in the East End (crime hub) of Newport News who open-carried his P-85.  Being a black guy with a gun in East End, the police harrassment factor was high, but he was legal.

And a (late) friend of my dad open-carried his 1911 a few years back.  This 5'5" 280-lb German Jew was quite a sight with his low-hanging holster swinging back and forth as he ambled around...

But, overall, I agree that relatively few seem to open-carry in VA, as far as I've seen.

DrMark
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Open carry is legal in Pennsylvania outside class 1 cities, those being Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Go to [url]http://www.packing.org/news/2000/09/19/2310.shtml[/url].  There is a discussion of this at that url and it refers to several sections of state law.

Carry in a bar is legal in Pennsylvania, but very frowned upon, like George said.

Before you say 'what the hell does a Georgia boy know about this', I just spent six months in Philly and got my non-res license from Media, PA after sorting through all the lies and BS from the Philly PD.  I went to the state AG, got the CORRECT info, and went out to Media rather than through Philly.  Philly is still PO'd because the state told them that had to issue licenses, so now they 'lose' your paperwork.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Seems the law is still a little fuzzy to me...

I'm not interested in "showing off"
or "displaying" my weapon.

Only curious if it's breaking any laws if I can't TOTALLY conceal my 1911.

I've got a black leather Springfield hip holster that keeps the gun up pretty high, but the end of the gun sticks through the bottom of the holster.

I can keep my T-shirt un-tucked and it covers "most" of the gun, just not the bottom of the holster and what sticks out of it...

Is this considered "open-carry"?

Like I said before, I DO have a CCL, and usually carry a .357 snubby in a "belly-band". This is no problem at all to conceal, but it gets hot and uncomfortable during the Summer months...

So far, the way I interpret the posts, as long as I have a CCL, I can carry open -OR- concealed, even in a big city like Philly...

Any other takes on the subject ???
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I went down to pick up my new permit today, I live in Phila, and they weren't exactly overflowing with information. All they would say is it must be fully concealed. If not and another person sees it and calls the police a report will be made and it could be reason to revoke the permit.
They couldn't point to anything in writing though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Va allows it. [:D]
Btw, I don't think I've ever seen anyone in VA open carrying.  [:D][:D][:D]
View Quote

I've seen it 2x. Once at the Food Lion, and once at Blockbuster. Neither seemed to get much attention, and this was in Charlottesville!

Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know what county will issue me a non-resident CCW in PA. I have a non-resident Florida and a restricted NY. I tried in the poconos near straudsberg.I dodn't know what county it was but they told me because of my restricted NY license I don't qualify. If my NY was full carry (unrestricted) then they can do it. Anyone with some help. I prefer to apply by mail if possible. I though one of the more rural counties would do it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone know what county will issue me a non-resident CCW in PA. I have a non-resident Florida and a restricted NY. I tried in the poconos near straudsberg.I dodn't know what county it was but they told me because of my restricted NY license I don't qualify. If my NY was full carry (unrestricted) then they can do it. Anyone with some help. I prefer to apply by mail if possible. I though one of the more rural counties would do it.
View Quote

Try Berks County ?
Call the Gun Permit office at the Berks County Courthouse
633 Court Street
Reading, PA
Sheriff's name is Barry Jozwiak.
His signature is on my CCL...
(610) 478-6225 (gun licenses)
(610) 478-6240 (sherriff's office)
(610) 478-6643 (hunting licenses)

Not sure of their position on "out of staters"
SO...

GOOD LUCK !!!

....ART

I think I'm gonna call them tomorrow & ask about the open carry issue...
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Berks county is within driving distance if needed. I have been up there and I like it alot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:Open carry is legal in Pennsylvania outside class 1 cities, those being Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
View Quote

Actually its just Philly. Pittsburg is a class 2 city. Philly is the only class 1.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#16]
actually the 2nd amendment says you have the right to keep and bear arms, which means you can carry out in the open license or not, and there isn't a thing a city or state can do about it. If a cop says you can't carry it, tell him to look at his bill of rights at number 2.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:actually the 2nd amendment says you have the right to keep and bear arms, which means you can carry out in the open license or not, and there isn't a thing a city or state can do about it. If a cop says you can't carry it, tell him to look at his bill of rights at number 2.
View Quote

Hey, I like that! We need more people that won't give in. Actually since we are dealing with a state gov't, the appropriate document to reference would be PA's Constitution, more specifically Art I Sect 21 which states that "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.." If I get arrested, stopped, or questioned if I carry openly , which clearly is bearing an Arm and which I would be doing for defense of myself, isn't that a clear violation of this provision,?
That is even further reinforced by Sect 25 of the same article:
"To guard against the transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate."
Which means that the General Assembly, and in fact any member, official, or any person employed by, elected as an official of, or appointed to, the State Government has no authority whatsoever to make any law which shall in any way interfere with Sect 21(among others). That means that the Uniform Firearms Act is clearly Unconstitutional in more than one way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top