Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
6/21/2017 8:25:40 PM
Posted: 8/5/2001 4:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2001 9:50:42 PM EDT by MosesAmos]
I am looking for the song you always see playing in the helicopters taking troops to the LZ. I cannot think of the name of that song for the world of me. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:30:15 PM EDT
I'm sorry, but your ? is a bit vague. Are you possibly referring to one of the STONES songs or perhaps [b]WAGNERS RIDE OF THE VALKRYIES[/B]All of which is way to kool... My head is spinning with all the '60-'70's Music Peace-Love-Dove
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:36:18 PM EDT
That is pretty durned vague Moses. I think the quintessential Vietnam music to be blasting while "going in" has to be Hendrix. The guitar just has this aura of barely controlled chaos going on . . .
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:41:02 PM EDT
go rent a bunch of Vietnam war flicks and this time watch the credits!
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:46:43 PM EDT
Or even name the movie. I think I have most of them. cpermd
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:49:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2001 4:47:52 PM EDT by Stg44]
Are you thinking about "We gotta get outta this place" by the Animals I belive? This is the song used in the C.A. (combat assault) in "Hamburger Hill". Then there is "Fade to Black" by the Stones, not normally used during the air assault, but always there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:02:07 PM EDT
Sorry, I have no idea on the words of the song bu I know the tune, and it's hard to describe on a computer. One place I remember it is in the show TOUR OF DUTY, and the Lt. plays it everytime he goes out. I've heard it everywhere, but that's all I know about it. Thanks for the help anyways.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:03:07 PM EDT
Then there is the "Fortunate Son" by CCR playing in Forrest Gump. "Gimme Some Lovin" by The Lovin Spoonful in Operation Dumbodrop.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:13:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MosesAmos: Sorry, I have no idea on the words of the song bu I know the tune, and it's hard to describe on a computer. One place I remember it is in the show TOUR OF DUTY, and the Lt. plays it everytime he goes out. I've heard it everywhere, but that's all I know about it. Thanks for the help anyways.
View Quote
Yes, I miss seeing "Tour of Duty" but anyway, It is indeed the "STONES" your referring to. I would have to see an episode to refresh my memory... It's starting to come to me..."my world turning black"...Oh come on guys its right there...
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:22:17 PM EDT
I was mad when I thought they canceled it, but if you have TNT or Turner Network Television, it comes on at 3:00eastern or 2:00 central.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:26:04 PM EDT
"Paint it Black" by the Stones. When I think of music in Vietnam it's always CCR and Hendrix. "but you and I, we've been thru that..."
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:28:05 PM EDT
"Gimme Some Lovin'" by The Lovin' Spoonful
View Quote
Negative, [i]Gimme Some Lovin'[/i] was performed by [b]The Spencer Davis Group[/b] with [b]Steve Winwood[/b] on lead vocals.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:30:29 PM EDT
Hendrix. "but you and I, we've been thru that..."
View Quote
That's called [b][i]All Along The Watchtower,[/i][/b] which is a Bob Dylan song. Hendrix covered it on his 1968 [b][i]Electric Ladyland[/i][/b] LP.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:33:55 PM EDT
I don't think that paint it black is it guys, It's got a fast beat and all, but it's just not it. Good try.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:38:06 PM EDT
[b][i]Full Metal Jacket[/i][/b] featured [b][i]Surfbird[/i][/b] by the [b][i]Trashmen[/i][/b] and [b][i]Wooly Bully[/i][/b] by [b][i]Sam The Sham and The Pharoahs[/i][/b], both of which have a fast beat, but were not used in any scenes featuring assults into LZs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:42:34 PM EDT
Wooly Bully just might be the one I'm lookin for. I might have heard it in another show or movie and thought it came from there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:55:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MosesAmos: Wooly Bully just might be the one I'm lookin for. I might have heard it in another show or movie and thought it came from there.
View Quote
I'm sorry dude but if indeed you are referring to "Tour of Duty" then it is of course the Stones "Paint it Black" However keep up the wandering in your mind... There is so much "Classical" '60& '70's music!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:00:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2001 6:12:03 PM EDT by DBrewer842]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:02:45 PM EDT
Well it might not have come from tour of duty. I've seen who knows how many Vietnam shows and movies, so i might have made a mistake. I downloaded paint it black, and it's definitely not it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:12:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MosesAmos: Well it might not have come from tour of duty. I've seen who knows how many Vietnam shows and movies, so i might have made a mistake. I downloaded paint it black, and it's definitely not it.
View Quote
Keep it up our friend... Somebody will have the apporiate "Soundtrack" for ya... e-mail when you get "it" You are killing me!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:21:42 PM EDT
I did my "Tours of Duty" in the Mekong Delta, never heard any "Back Ground" music. But try the music in "Apacalypse Now". Music was by "The Doors", Richard Wagner, Randy Harrison, Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:26:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M1A-A1: You are killing me!!!
View Quote
Sorry M1A-A1, I've just been lookin for the song for about 5 weeks or so, and nobody knows the name, but alot of people know the tune. I'll let you know eventually
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:35:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2001 6:35:22 PM EDT by DBrewer842]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:39:17 PM EDT
Post a link to a wave file of you humming it, then we would be able to nail it for you.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:41:39 PM EDT
Music from China Beach sticks in folks minds and my oh my,so does Dana! cpermd
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:45:56 PM EDT
When I was in the Navy, we would have "break away" songs to play over the 1MC when we were concluding an UNREP after being alongside another boat. The first boat I was on had a contest to decide what we needed to play. My choices were [b][i]Hold On I'm Comin'[/i][/b] by [b]Sam and Dave[/b] and [b][i]Give Me Back My Bullets[/i][b] by [b]Lynyrd Skynyrd[/b] (we were an ammunition ship). Some of the other choices were that hokey-ass "Proud To Be An American" by Lee Greenwood and that done-to-death [b][i]Smoke On The Water[/i][/b] by [b]Deep Purple.[/b] The skipper won out with his personal favorite of the [b][i]Theme To Hawaii Five-O[/i][/b] by [b]The Ventures.[/b] No class.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:57:17 PM EDT
MosesAmos if your talking about the LT chopper piolt in Tour of Duty I think Wooly Bully IS the song your looking for. It's by Sam the Sham and the Pharos I think. Thats the song they played and he was singing on the last episode as he had a flash back while flying as a traffic reporter. Mattie told Hattie about a thing she saw......
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 7:09:29 PM EDT
I think Wooly Bully IS the song your looking for. It's by Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs I think.
View Quote
You really ought to read the other posts before replying, this was already mentioned and indentified with the correct artist.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 7:18:37 PM EDT
How about 'Satisfaction' by the Stones.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:25:13 PM EDT
I just heard some of the song I'm lookin for on a wranglers commercial. It has somethin like "ooh the red, white, and blue" in it. The music starts out on an electric guitar. I have to know, please help
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2001 8:54:42 AM EDT by Jim_Dandy]
The song that you're thinking of is [b][i]Fortunate Son[/i][/b] by [b]Creedence Clearwater Revival.[/b] [i]Some folks are born to wave the flag, ooh they're red, white, and blue, But when the band plays "Hail to the Chief," oh they point the cannon at you, No, it ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate son[/i]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:53:26 PM EDT
Thank ya jim_dandy. I think i found it about the same time that you posted. THAT'S THE SONG I'VE BEEN MAKIN SUCH A FUSS ABOUT. SORRY GUYS. THANKS FOR ALL THE TROUBLE I PUT YOU THROUGH. MOSESAMOS
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:55:50 PM EDT
Fortunate Son! God help me, I'm having USO flashbacks go go boots, striped knit dress, fishnet stockings
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:48:06 AM EDT
"I ain't no senator's son." Could that have been our own algore he was referring to? Norm
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 7:55:58 AM EDT
That was more fun! cpermd
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:11:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy:
"Gimme Some Lovin'" by The Lovin' Spoonful
View Quote
Negative, [i]Gimme Some Lovin'[/i] was performed by [b]The Spencer Davis Group[/b] with [b]Steve Winwood[/b] on lead vocals.
View Quote
AHHH, my bad, of course it is The Spencer Davis Group. Was unable to post last night, browser went FUBAR for some reason. Umm, who got the Fortunate Son first :)
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:42:45 AM EDT
Jim_Dandy: Sorry Boss my bad. I'll try not to do that again. Ooopps. ( If I could get the icons to come up I'd put something appropriate here) Life goes on.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:57:08 AM EDT
Tour of Duty Tracks on this CD [b]01 - Doors-Riders on the Storm[/b] 02 - Marvin Gaye - I heard it through the grapevine 03 - Steppenwolf - Born to be wild 04 - The Troggs - Wild thing 05 - Fleetwood Mac - Albatross [b]06 - Cream - White room[/b] 07 - Sam the sham and the pharaohs - Wolly bully 08 - Ike & Tina Turner - River deep, Mountain high 09 - Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the sky 10 - Roy Orbison - Pretty woman 11 - Donovan - Atlantis (live) 12 - Jefferson Airplane feat. Grace Slick - White rabbit 13 - The Byrds - Turn,turn,turn 14 - The Moody Blues - Tuesday afternoon 15 - The Animals - We gotta get out of this place 16 - Them feat. Van Morrison - Here comes the night 17 - Booker T and The MG's - Green onions 18 - The Herd - From the underworld 19 - Dusty Springfield - Son of a preacherman 20 - The Walker Brothers - The sun ain't gonna shine anymore 21 - Aretha Franklin - Respect 22 - Louis Armstrong - What a wonderful world
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:57:55 AM EDT
Please allow me to introduce myself I am a man of wealth and fame I've been around a long long time Anastasia knew my name
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:08:07 AM EDT
It's "Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste" and "I killed the Czar and his ministers, Anastasia screamed in vain." Those are the actual lyrics from the Stones' [b][i]Sympathy For The Devil.[/i][/b]
"I ain't no senator's son." Could that have been our own algore he was referring to?
View Quote
Actually for all of his faults, Al did indeed get drafted and serve rather briefly in the active duty Army. The people to whom Fogerty was referring were David Eisenhower and Julie Nixon who were married at a lavish White House wedding right during the height of Vietnam. David Eisenhower would have been the prime age for service in Vietnam, but did not go. John Fogerty on the other hand, was drafted in 1966, but was able to work out a deal where he served stateside in the reserves. He thought that that was a helluva deal, that you could be drafted if you were just an average guy, but if you were from an influential family, you could weasel out of it. Hence the lyrics.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:00:45 AM EDT
Jim_Dandy: Actually for all of his faults, Al did indeed get drafted and serve [b]rather briefly[/b] in the active duty Army.
View Quote
[center][red][size=6]oops![/size=6][/red][/center] [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=173798&a=7812219&p=19118420&Sequence=0[/img]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:38:28 AM EDT
The colors oh the colors...John is saying something about the colors!
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:06:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MosesAmos: Thank ya jim_dandy. I think i found it about the same time that you posted. THAT'S THE SONG I'VE BEEN MAKIN SUCH A FUSS ABOUT. SORRY GUYS. THANKS FOR ALL THE TROUBLE I PUT YOU THROUGH. MOSESAMOS
View Quote
Glad ya got it figured out...Acually that was Fun. Flashbacks man!!! Flashbacks!!! [8P]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:28:17 PM EDT
This is off topic but I just noticed it. In the pic of AlGore with the M16 look at the magazine in the weapon, does it look screwy to anybody else?
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:14:12 PM EDT
That's one of those LWM's (left wing mags), loaded with non-lethal rubber bullets.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:28:06 PM EDT
03shooter: In the pic of AlGore with the M16 look at the magazine in the weapon, does it look screwy to anybody else?
View Quote
YES, & many other (staged) things!
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 11:00:54 PM EDT
Damn! from the title I thought you were doing a take off from "Sink the Bismark" by Johnny Horton. "We'd found the battle ship that was making all the fuss! We've gotta sink that battleship the world depends on us We hit the ground a' runnin' boys an' spun those guns around We finally found that battleship and we gotta put her down" I'm surprised I remember that much. Stop me before I sing "North to Alaska!"
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 11:05:55 PM EDT
Here's the original. Someone just "photo-shoped" that mag in. [size=5]Hey Guys...I found where I stuck the opium-laced Tai-Stick![/size=5] [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=173798&a=7812219&p=19039404&Sequence=0[/img] [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=173798&a=7812219&p=19042001&Sequence=0[/img] [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=173798&a=7812219&p=22041121&Sequence=0[/img] Owl's selector is set on "semi" . Not only is his muzzle pointing at his head, but it's not even on safe! Even after he shouldered the weapon, he STILL didn't pop a mag in! How in the hell did he keep his gear so clean...(supposedly) in Vietnam? That's not a "Nam" issue watch.... And he's wearing a ring! Boonie hats were strictly basecamp headgear. NO grass! Owl was preparing for a LRRP into NORTH Vietnam? I cant remember it being that chilly before Global Warming. It looks like a field jacket and field pants underneath the rain jacket. If you're busy walking, even in "winter" in 'Nam, you'll keep plenty warm without wearing all that. For all the bulk his ruck has, it seems pretty light. Hair Cut? They should've paid more attebtion to the visual aids. Not a single mag pouch anywhere to be seen. No grenades, no smoke, and no belts of 7.62. His rain jacket seems to have "factory new" creases in it, like it was just put on for the first time. He seems to be carrying a bandolier, but that's pretty useless without magazines. The black plastic muzzle cap is correct for 1970, but FH is wrong. Gore worked as a PR man in the army. The nylon pack is wrongly attached to the frame. I never saw one rigged like this. The pack went to the bottom of the frame, and the frame on top held with nylon hold downs. I was for carrying loads, for example, three or four 81mm rounds for the mortar set up at night. (These pictures suggest to my mind what would happen if you got a nylon pack, and a used frame at the Army Navy store, and tried to figure out how it went together without having seen one before.) I also can't get over all the gear Al's humpin' in those pictures. Considering the 100-degree plus temperatures with near 100 percent humidity, typical of SE Asia, most people would be sweatin' up a river (and only for a short time), yet Owl doesn't even look overheated. It's not raining either. I do seem to recall that it does get a little nippy in S. Carolina and Alabama from time to time though. [;D] Everytime I see these pictures, I wonder who took them. I suppose with Tipper running around with her camera, perhaps she tagged along and took these pictures. This pic looks like it was taken during basic training in the States. If THEIR title was something like "Gore in army uniform" or "Gore during 1970" (or whatever) .... then maybe they'd be able to claim this was the training mission in the US. But the insinuation is that Owl is in VN - where he most obviously is....... NOT!
Top Top