Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2001 4:42:58 PM EDT
Lease is up and need to get a Suburban or Excursion, and would appreciate comments from those who have compared the two and ended up with 1 vs. the other due to ??????
Thanks,
Powderburner
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Suburban! You get much much more for your money.
With the new 8.1L you can get more power that any thing Ford has.
You can pick from 4 motors, you can Z71, 4X4 or even just stick with the 2WD.

You can do most of this with the Ford (not the 4 moters) but it will never driv as good and can not tow as much.

The Ford Excursion is just a money make for Ford , they put it out in about 1/2 the time they would take for anther truck, and sales have never been that good.

If you get one you will have to live with it for 3 or 4 years(as you know) think about the things you need out of your truck and the thing you may need befor it gos back.

The Suburban is the one I have had 3:1988,1994 and my new 2001 2500 just got it 3 days ago.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The Suburban would be just about right if they would just add the Isuzu DuraMax Diesel from the trucks.GMC says still not available.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
As much as I like the Powerstroke diesel, and simple suspensions, I'd have to say Suburban.
 I've heard too many horror stories at the garage about Ford electronics, and maintainence costs to go with anything but Chevy/GMC.  I'd have to wait for the diesel though..
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude go with the chevy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
i guess i'm gonna go out on a limb and be the guy who says get the Ford, just because of personal preference. No real reason, but what the heck.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
excursion= big van looking thing

in the burban you will get pleanty of seats and room, but its not so unnessesarily large that that it wont fit in a normal garage. maybe thats not an issue for you.

go with the suburban, they look cooler also
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i guess i'm gonna go out on a limb and be the guy who says get the Ford, just because of personal preference. No real reason, but what the heck.
View Quote
All of this is personal preference, just like 'who makes the best AR?'.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You guys want a professional opinion on this?

Jim Scoutten
View Quote

Well heck yes, lets hear it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:27:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, I was looking for comparisons on handling, ride, stability, acceleration, braking, etc.

Let's hear the experts.

Thanks for input, keep it coming.
Powderburner
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#11]
The Suburban is the clear cut winner  when you consider only the ride let alone everything else.  Price wise I found the excersion a little cheaper, not by much.  The Suburban has been around forever and I would presume there are lots of aftermarket items for the subs if thats what you want. I looked a both, but bought a dodge RAM 1500, I needed/wanted the pickup more than the extra seating.  But next trip around a Chevy Sub will be parked in my driveway.  good luck.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#12]
you mean yo uactually considered the Ford? Man, that is dumb...
WHEN IN DOUBT GO WITH CHEVY, but how could you doubt a Chevy?
-Chuck
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Neither.
Try the Toyota Sequoia.
-If you want size go for the Excursion.
-If you want a better quality vehicle with a pretend 3rd row seat go for the Suburban.
-If you want the Best quality vehicle with a REAL 3rd row seat, although not as much storage behind the 3rd row, the seat folds completely out of the way go for the SEQUOIA.
It depends on what your needs are, but you wont find a more practical or better made vehicle in this class.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#16]
You need this!

[img]http://poseur.4x4.org/dominator.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]
A'ight Hank and Gloftoe, them's fightin' words!  Just what is so wrong with a Land Cruiser???  Full Time 4WD and 3 rows of leather seats, and it will still fit in my damn garage!!!

Although the Sequioa doesn't inspire me either, unless you really need the super-gargantuan towing or room you can get in the Suburban/Excursion (I'd take the Suburban every time), you would be silly to not look at the Toyota.  It'll run circles around those domestics in ride comfort and reliability.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
How long are you going to keep it??? Find out who has the better lease if short term.  Ford will probably be a better lease pakage because FMC is very aggressive with its leasing.  If you are going to keep it a long time consider the shoddy fit and finish on a GM product.  It doesnt take much more than 50k miles to get all the squeaks and rattles into a GM product.  Now I know all the GM fans are going to flame about how they have had them forever and GM is the best, but having been in the car business for the last 8 yrs, selling Dodge, GM, and Ford I beleive I am a preety good authority.  Your best bet if you want to keep one for a while is go to a big used car lot and look at some 3-4 year old vehicles to see how they hold up.  Drive a few, see how they ride with 50k on them.  You may have a hard time finding a 50k mile Excursion, but look at a F150 for comparison on interiors.  And the best thing you can do is not stroke the salesperson.  Tell him/her what you want to do by looking at a few older models and they will respect you much more.  Lie to em and they will hate you.  Also dont go out on a saturday or sunday to check out the older models, because if you tell the salesperson you want to spend his time driving older model vehicles to see how they wear and tear on a weekend you may not get the best response.

[beer]

Happy Car Buying!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#19]
How about this Full price for a Suburban or $100.00 over invoice(notarized copy from Ford). Plus 2.9% financing, On an Excursion. Let me know.

Bryan C. Zielinski
Finance Director
Evergreen Ford
1-800-413-9629
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pretend third row seat.  What the hell are you smoking.  I'm 6', 200lbs, and that third row seat is just fine with me.  I love my Suburban.  That Sequoia is just a redone Landcruiser, and ugly to boot.  Excursion:  Too damn big.  EVERYone wants to be like a Suburban.  They've been around forever, and there's no substitute.  

If you fold down the seats in the Suburban, it makes a nice bed too [sleep]

-Gloftoe
View Quote

For a double amputee maybe.
Redone, or more like WELL DONE.
I've driven and ridden in a 1998 suburban for thousands of miles.
Now that I've put a few thousand miles in a Sequoia, I doubt I'd go back to a suburban again.
Unless of course the  [i]NEW[/i] suburban has dramatically changed for the better.

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I heard The Excursion has a weird vibration problem past 50 MPH and Ford is aware of this problem and says "ok cool... anything else?". They basicly know it's there just like how it has tires and a steering wheel.

[url]http://www.carreview.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok,

I can't take it any more! I have the Excursion. Limited edition-V/10. Now this thing has got some power. We looked at the Suburban and compared the 2. The Ford won! Its a great feeling sitting next to some little car and being able to look down at them like a God. Also the Excursion is rare compared to the Suburban. I got the first one in Lancaster county Pa. Now yea the Excursion is not the greatest car of all time I will save that for the Hummer. It is really roomy and once you get used to it. Its no problem to park, yea a little at first. People ask me where ever I go about the it. As for that weird vibration thing I have never felt that and my family and I drove up too NY with an average apeed of around 75-80 and didn't have a problem. We even got the best gas mileage 16/miles a gallon. Now that pretty good! My Excursion has 3 cd players. The dealer threw them in for free. We even took it back and got a fold down Tv put in the back of it. The kids like it because be can take them and their friend plus lots of gear. The cars a real CHIC magnet. For some reason they really like BIG. I don't think it is a weis choice if you live in a crowded city. I pick the Excursion!!!

CHEF

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a 99 (old body style)loaded Suburban new and I love it except for the gas mileage. You can fit 9 people plus all their luggage and still tow anything you cannot fit inside or on the roof. It drives like a dream on the highway and has plenty of power. Around town on bad roads it gets a little jarring but the new body style I drove is a lot better. The Dual AC/heater is a must and works extremely well, as I live right on the Gulf coast and it gets crazy hot. only problem I have had is the ac drain tubes have clogged and caused the carpet to get wet which the dealer fixed and changed the pad under warranty. I would definitely recommend the suburban.

Chris

NRA
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Suburban,

I've owned 3 of them (85, 92 and my current 96) Proven over time!
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ok,

I can't take it any more! I have the Excursion. Limited edition-V/10. Now this thing has got some power. We looked at the Suburban and compared the 2. The Ford won! Its a great feeling sitting next to some little car and being able to look down at them like a God. Also the Excursion is rare compared to the Suburban. I got the first one in Lancaster county Pa. Now yea the Excursion is not the greatest car of all time I will save that for the Hummer. It is really roomy and once you get used to it. Its no problem to park, yea a little at first. People ask me where ever I go about the it. As for that weird vibration thing I have never felt that and my family and I drove up too NY with an average apeed of around 75-80 and didn't have a problem. We even got the best gas mileage 16/miles a gallon. Now that pretty good! My Excursion has 3 cd players. The dealer threw them in for free. We even took it back and got a fold down Tv put in the back of it. The kids like it because be can take them and their friend plus lots of gear. The cars a real CHIC magnet. For some reason they really like BIG. I don't think it is a weis choice if you live in a crowded city. I pick the Excursion!!!

CHEF
View Quote

Naw, I'm holding out for the new FORD EXAGGERATION--twice as big as EXCURSION and w/ a 400 hp Cummins! It'll eat EXPEDITIONS, EXPLORERS and ESCAPES for breakfast. Next after that model will be the FORD EXPONENTIAL FACTOR SUV.

Seriously though, ever since the very sour ownership experience with my 1984 F-150 (bought almost new), I'll can hardly ever trust in a Ford again. Had a buddy with a loaded Taurus (the car)that made him run for his life. Oh, the things I've seen go wrong in a vehicle...
Then the whole saga with the Explorers, deaths and recalls, etc....IMO Ford is a great moneymaker lately but not good for much else. Hell yes I'd buy Ford stock but not their vehicles.
Hate to rag on good ol' American Ford, but
that has been my experience FWIW. I've seen and heard of so many turning on
their owners in a bad way.

Dad had an '81 'Burban for years. They're built well with no silly hassles from sloppy or poorly
engineered
parts/assembly. I'd trust in a Suburban.

Myself right now, I'm leaning toward the GMC Yukon. Nice reasonably-sized truck.

Hey, for a truck you can call a 'beater' and treat it as such, look at the Isuzu Trooper. Damned things are SOLID.
Of course they're funny looking and I thought just another typical Jap SUV, but a very good friend proved me wrong the other day. I actually have respect for the ugly little Trooper!
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 2:42:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top