Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2001 7:38:47 PM EDT
I saw this over at Hardcore TV ([url]http://formen.ign.com/news.html[/url]):

[url]http://formenmedia.ign.com/media/news/image/hardcore/javelinmissilefire.mpg[/url]

How can a regular Joe get a hold of what look to be a Javelin missile ([url]http://www.dote.osd.mil/reports/FY00/army/00javelin.html[/url]?

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
We have them in stock - the blue ones and the mauve ones.  Your choice $19.99.  Ask about volume discounts.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you open on Saturday?  I can drop by, no need to ship.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Couldn't get enough of it so I started to cochrane it.  You notice interesting things when you ffwd or frame by frame. When the missile blew the tube a small object passes  to the right across the booth and continues at high speed, probably a dust cover from rear of tube. Then, watching the missile accelerate, when it nears and then leaves the top of the screen, you get an idea of just how fast it really is accelerating. You can't see it come down but there is positive distortion in the tank area a full three frames before the fireball is visible. There is barely perceptible distortion in the fourth and fifth preceding frames. I have to guess that since the missile strikes at an angle, this may be a supersonic wave and jet trail first from missile flight and then from detonation that is more visible  because of its angle, i.e. visible below horizon for a longer time than you would expect from a vertical plunge. I also think the video from a distance is  recording more frames per second than the close-ups. They probably don't want to risk the expensive cameras for that.

At impact you can see the concussive wave spreading horizontaly. An object flies nearly verticaly and a little to the right. It is flat and tumbling rapidly, catching the sun as it spins. It is rising at the same rate as the concussive wave spreads, which means it must be going mach 1 or better. And it climbs 80% of the sky in view. I'm not up on my trig but it must be at least well over '1000 high at apogee. You can also see something climb slower and directly vertical over the explosion, becoming a little fireball itself and then dimming as it rises and falls.

Another interesting item is at the very end of the video, your hear the voice marveling at how high the turret flew. Then you see dirt fly from an impact off the right of the screen. There is a lot of low frequency noise and rumbling so nothing jumps out at you but when you ffwd, in the sound is a distinctive "whomp."
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
wow!!!  would hate to see one of those in the wrong hands..
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Those guys are having way too much fun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#7]
You can't, that was a Military test.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top