Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#1]
where the heck were most of you on the other thread?

thanks for the responses.  but i was really curious about the non-combative roles that women have traditionally held, i.e. nurses.  there is still a fair amount of fraternization between the sexes.

i know the job is different, so we don't have to debate her capability to do that.  i'm not talking about whether she can or she can't.  i'm more interested in the less tangible things mentioned, like how the presence of women degrades morale, or men are too focused on protecting them to do their real job.  do those same problems come into play with the women in non-military/combat roles?

striker, no move yet.  visit in one week.  CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Women should only be allowed in the military if they can meet or exceed the same requirements for men, and only for 3 weeks of the month. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
There is only one reason why we even need to consider women in the military, much less in combat.

Try running for national political office in this country without a military record.

I know that this isnt the iron clad kiss of death that it used to be, Bill Clinton got elected after all, its still a serious obstical.  But then look at what a disappointment those who havent served in the military have been during their public service.  I am not at all sure that this a obstical that we want to remove!

Not allowing women in combat, means no woman combat commanders (or do you really want to give a divsion to someone who has ownly flown and pushed papers) which in turn limits good female canidates for public office.

So which do you want to give up? National leaders with military experience?  Or the old taboo agaisnt women in combat? Or would you be content with someone who just flew a heilcopter around, but never had to kill anyone?

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Women in war has been a back and forth topic for years. As a martial arts instructor I was one of the very few to not only open my school to women in the early 80s, but to encourage them to train.
I brought many women into the school by self defense seminars. They might come in scared and mousey, when  they left with confidence.
This relates to women in war as the fact that we have taken the fight out of the majority of women. Condition them to stay home and take care of the house and that is the way they will believe they woll have to be a hundred or more years later. Remember littleboys will play with guns, little girls will play with  dolls, social conditioning.
You  have to replace that conditioning with a positive attitude and replace the skills that they have been forbidden.
Julious Caesar wrote in his treatise on  Gaul, that the Celts brought their  women and screaming  brats to battle. Tell those women to bring you a beer!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Well Troy would be right on... IF the US military had objective standards for physical fitness.  But they dont.

There is a heighth/wight/age curve for men too.

Plus the "unofficial" standards for E7's and up and O5's and up

So you are only being judged against men your age and your height, they havent even learned to fully integrate body fat indexes into the system yet.
Perhaps some of you have heard of the 1st Tactical Studies Group (Airborne) or visited their website at [url]http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2116/[/url] its run by a bunch of ex paratroopers who are very critical of the Army's PT. You will find a couple different threads regarding this.  And just as a aside they are opposed to women in combat too, but I use them as a resource anyway.

This is one of my favorites: "Combat, Not S&M Recruit Training" [url]http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5265/recruit.htm[/url]

Each series of MOS should have a physical fitness scale for it, and people who dont make it shoud be cut, simple.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top