Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2001 4:02:36 PM EDT
Hey people, last night as I was walking out the door of the grocery store I watched as a red Honda SUV backed into my front seat passenger side door.  I couldn't see who was driving but I got the license plate number, I don't really want to bring the law into this, I figure if I can get the name and phone number of the person, I can contact him directly and work out something.

Anyone out there know how to get a name from a license plate number (A NY state plate)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Call me silly, but I am willing to give the person a shot at making it right before I drag the law into this.  Yup, they split after knowing they hit my car (2001 Hummer), They may have thought there was no damage, but the panel is caved in .  I would rather give them the oppurtunity to make amends...better Karma points for me.

It's also what I would want someone to do for me if the roles were reveresed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought you had a cop buddy there in NY. I must have been mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
You could try the DMV, but you're probably gonna need the help of the police.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
hielo, a trucker backed his semi trailer into my suzi gsxr-1100 a few years back. we were stopped at a red light and the driver reversed to allow clearance for another truck to make a turn...guess he couldn't see me in his mirrors.

i chased him for 3-4 blocks until he finally saw me waving, and stopped. i called the cops and we all agreed that no citation would be issued if his insurance paid for the repairs to my bike...which it did.

maybe the cops will assist you in tracking down the driver and hold all bets to see if you guys can come to terms.

in ohio, i think you have 48 hours to report an accident involving property damage.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I know you hate to get the police involved, but that is probably your best bet.

Usually, for non-injury leaving the scene accidents, police just track down the other driver and get their information. There is little investigation they can do at this point, since both vehicles have been moved and considerable time has passed.

Your other option is to go to your insurance company and file a claim. They do have the resources to track down the other driver, and, seeing how they will be out some money if they don't find him or her, they have some incentive to find the other driver. However, they will probably also demand that you call the police.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Contact your insurance company, and give them the license plate #.

People who drive off after hitting a vehicle are NOT the type of people to "work something out."

My $0.02
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about NY law, but in California that would constitute a hit-and-run accident which is very bad juju for anyone who gets convicted of same.

Definitely call your insurance agent FIRST and ask for advice.  A police report may or may not be requred for a claim to be processed.  You may have to call the PD, or the insurance company may say forgetaboutit, call it an Uninsured Motorist hit.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm, don't how it is in New York.  Down here if the accident is on private property, you have to pay for your own damage regardless of fault.

If it was on the street, you will have to take them to small claims court.  Any other witnesses to this?  If so, you will need them at court.

Good luck, major hassles ahead.[:(]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a definite hit-n-run.  NOW, days later when you report it, the NYPD should give you a very weird WTFWYT look.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hmmm, don't how it is in New York.  Down here if the accident is on private property, you have to pay for your own damage regardless of fault.

If it was on the street, you will have to take them to small claims court.  Any other witnesses to this?  If so, you will need them at court.

View Quote

So you are telling me that if I T-bone somebody in the mall parking lot.  The other driver is responsible for their own damages?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Troy,
California law requires you to file a specific form with the DMV if either of these two events occurred:

1)  Injury
2)  Property damage exceeding $500

I am sure with a 2001 Hummer (lucky bastard!!) that the damage exceeds $500.  It is not a matter of being nice.  As Rambo would say
"Its the Laaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww"

Do not hesitate.  Call insurance company first, then follow their advice.  It would probably be to call the police.  

Good Luck - Ralph
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey everyone.  I made a mistake.  Sorry
I thought it was Troy from Calif. but I now know it is hielo from New York.  Still, call insur. company then police.
Ralph
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]
mail call
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

So you are telling me that if I T-bone somebody in the mall parking lot.  The other driver is responsible for their own damages?
View Quote

In Georgia, that is the law.  Has happened to me twice on parking lots.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok Folks, thanks to a kind soul here, I have the required info (I would let you know who, but they haven't given me permission).

I will keep everyone informed as to my goodwill gesture.

BTW, the body shop estimated it at $5,900.00  Ouch!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

So I can take my CJ5 with the 31" tires and 4" tube bumpers and run though the local Porsche dealer's new car lot bouncing off of Boxters and 911 coupes without recourse - I'm on my way sounds like fun. Then I'm off to the local law offices to smash over ever liberal lawyer's Volvo in their lot.

Yeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Contact WaveRunner...

He's NYPD and I'm sure he would be more than happy to help a brother in arms, especially one that's also a member of the same boards and has AR15.COM License Plate Frames too!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks AntiUssa, I had thought of WaveRunner, but another user came through before That.

I have a call in to their phone number, so far an answering machine, I happy to hear that, it probably means they are off at work .

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Ten bucks sez you'll be calling the cops anyway.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Will the cops even do anything though? they won't here, I was driving on a side-road of a parking lot one time and a lady tried to fly across it in front of me, well she didn't have the triangulation and spatial reasoning skills it takes to pull off a simple manuever like that and tore off my front bumpercover and headlights. then she ran. I got the tag # and  called the cops they came out saw that I was uninjured and tried to leave. only after a whole lot of arguing with them they finally gave me the registration info and only because it was a commercial tag, they kept telling me to go get a lawyer go to court about it, we're not doing anything.

turns out it was a secretary at some company who was not authorized to use company vehicles, and the owner brought me a check at work for the amount I had it estimated at, 20 minutes after I faxed him the estimate. I then fixed the damage myself and bought guns with the money!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Geez, hielo - do us all a favor and grow a pair!!!

Believe me, I've had bad days and even caused a few accidents, but I always stopped and made good for my mistakes.  But leaving after doing $6K in damage is a felony in my state (and probably in yours, too).  I can't believe you're letting these people off the hook.  Nobody ever had to use LEOs to track me down and make me live up to my responsibilities.

My advice is file a report with the cops and let them trace the perps.  If you're feeling charitable you can always drop the charges later after they've paid you for the body work (and thrown in an extra $10K for your trouble).  But by not filing you give up all the legal leverage you had of ever collecting anything.

If someone smashed your car window and stole guns, would you let them off the hook if they agreed to pay you for them?  That driver committed a crime, and needs to be made painfully aware of that fact.

People who back into cars and leave the scene are scumbags and deserve to be treated as such.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Steelrat, I got a pair, thanks.

I wasn't raised to foist my problems off on others, even these kinds of problems.

I also wasn't raised to expect the worst in people, the opposite actually.  

I figure they hit the car, got scared and bolted.  I also figure that given the oppurtunity to make good, the person will.

I think that one of the problems we have in this country is we always want someone else to take care of our problems for us, thanks, but I would rahter do it on my own.

Would it have been easier to call the police and handle it that way, sure, but *I* would not feel right about it.  In the end, thats what matters, not if my car gets fixed or not, but if I can feel satisfied with how I handled the situation.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#26]
M4Madness,  I guess we will just have to agree that we would handle things differently.

I was able to get in touch with the driver and I have setup a meeting for tommorow night.

The driver seemed genuiely sorry, whether it was because they were caught, or if their conscience was bothering them I can't tell.

We will see tommorow.

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#28]
What ever happened to the concept of being held accountable for your actions? I say screw 'em. If they were stand up people you wouldn't be having this discussion with us all right now. Take off the gloves and do what needs to be done. Maybe you can suck up the damages, but I for one couldn't, and wouldn't.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm a firefighter from tennessee, and in most cases, leaving the scene of an accident is a felony or a federal offense, depending on where you're at. I strongly recommend law enforcement as the solution. Just a recommendation.

MIKIE
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Well folks, I got back from our meeting, after a quick half an hour, the driver and I came to an agreement.  SHe ponied up half the repair bill and gave me a note for the other half, I told her I would hold it for 6 months to let her come up with the money over time.

She was sorry about it happening and had gotten flustered she said, she was afraid of what her husband was going to say, he was just happy that no one was hurt.

No need to bring the law into this personal matter, no need to do anything but make amends.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like I showed up on the scene too late...haven't been on the boards for a bit, NYC is alive with activity and I'm beat from all the OT!!!

Glad to hear you were able to successfully make contact with the other driver and work something out.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hey, it's not like the cops are going to harm them or arrest them. They're just going to hold them financially accountable for their actions. Isn't this the same thing you want to accomplish?
View Quote

EXACTLY...
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like I showed up on the scene too late...
View Quote

And that would be different how???
Sorry Waverunner. I couldn't resist. As a fellow LEO I'm allowed to throw rocks at the blue wall..that and I'll never be driving through your city in the near future! [:D][:D]
View Quote

I figured  at least one person would make a comment about that!!! At least I got the powdered sugar and jelly stains off!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#35]
WaveRunner, I actually thought about dropping you a note, but someone else came through first.

I didn't make it a law thing, as I thought it wasn't a law thing, jsut a private matter between us.  It worked out in the end.

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Hielo,

Don't you have insurance? You pay your premiums to have a claims adjuster deal with the other party and thier insurance company. We have all of the information assets the PD's have and more, and have specialized units that do nothing other than collect money from people that cause accidents.

By taking money from the other party you have compromised your ability to make a claim with your own insurance company. Never ever take money from the other person unless you have already made a claim with your own insurance company and they have evaluated the damage. Usually the other parties insurance company will cover your deductible and reimburse your company for the cost of repairs above that. That is unless you are partially at fault.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm not sure about NY, but try the DMV.  

For California hit and runs, I know for a fact that the DMV has a special form you can fill out.  In you case, since you had sense enough to get the license number and vehicle description, you should have no problems.  I understand what you are saying about getting the cops involved.  When I was 16 I was driving to school in my shiny new Full size Bronco when I stopped at a light.  As luck would have it, the lady in front of me could not get her big ass international Scout into gear.  So like any good driver, she decided to use my Bronco as a back stop to help her get on her merry way.  The thing was, she had one of those extra long tow arms that peirced a hole in my license plate and even dented my bumper.  After I chased her for a few blocks, I dedided to quit because a saw a terrified little girl in the back seat (I weep for her future).  The same day I go to my nearest LAPD precinct and report the incident.  The lady behind the counter reluctantly comes outside to see the damage on my vehicle.  All she had to say was "boy, you spect me to fill out all that paperwork for that little dent!  DMV will replace your plate."  I guess I kind of understand what she was getting at, but isn't that what her donut eating aSSS is paid to do?  Anyway, I drove away blaring "F@## the Police" so loud that some cops standing outside were taking double takes at my OJ White Bronco.  I FEEL YOU BRO.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Buster, Of course I have insurance, one can not register a vehoicle without it here in NY.  

I would never think to use insurance for this kind of circumstance, I fully would expect that I would handle it myself, which is what I did.

Why do I have insurance?  Because without I if I get puleld over, I get into trouble.  

Honestly I think the insurance business is nothing but a racket, and while I support it with my money, doesn't mean I have to sully myself by using their protection services.

I fully expect that people will do the right thing given the chance - so far in life few people have let me down.

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Doing the right thing? How about not leaving the scene? Do you think maybe they thought no one saw it and they were going to get away with it?

I can tell by your attitude you are not very sofisticated when it come to things like tort law and liability issues and don't understand the basic principle of insurance.

How about a circumstance like this? You get in a wreck, the other party flees but you get the plate number. Instead of calling the police and your insurance company you go to the local DMV or PD and pay one of the employees to give you the info on the other car owner. You make a few phone calls to try to resolve it and get nowhere with the other guy so you start to get ugly on the phone. He calls the local DA and gets a restraining order (there go your guns), you make one more phone call to him and it is 3-5 years in the pen on stalking charges and failure to obey the restraining order.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#40]
, buster, the JD that I earned sort of gives me the idea that I do know a bit about the law.  It also has allowed me to see that the law is often times used as a club as opposed to righting a wrong.

If I called up the driver and they told me to F-off, I would have chalked it up to a person who was lacking in something I find important.

If you had backed into my car and taken off (why did you take off?  Maybe because you were afraid, maybe because you thought you could, maybe because you had things that were more important on your mind than somebodies car) wouldn't you want the oppurtunity to make it right, or would *you* have told me to F-off?

The people I know and care about would all, to a person take the opportunity to make it right.

In my mind, there is almost a world of things that are more important than a car, no matter how much it costs.  Yup, it's *my* car, but the driver could have been facing things that clouded her judgement.  

When I talked to her last night, she was happy to make amends, her husband was happy that everyone was alright.  We worked out terms that were amenable to everyone involved, and no one else needed to become involved in it, tell me, how is there any better way to have handled it?

Maybe punishing someone is your bag, it sure isn't mine.  I am happy it worked out the way it did.  If it hadn't, I would not have lost a minutes sleep over it.

Don't get so caught up in the legal aspect when you can look for the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 1:34:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 2:50:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Adding my .02 here,

That is called Felony Hit and Run here.
If they did 5K+ damage to your Hummer, There is NO Way to justify not stopping to at least peruse the damage.

My instinct says that they probably have no insurance. Or they were DUI.
In which case you are not doing anyone a favor by not turning them in for the H&R. As that is a Felony in most states anyway.

I'm happy for you that you want to be the upstanding guy in this but.....
Next time it might not be just a bent fender and they are obviously inclined to run from the scene.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#43]
On a lighter note,  i'd like to see what 5,900 dollars of damage is to a Hummer.  

PICS!!! - Show us that scratch. [;)]

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#44]
7, It was jsut the door, it was caved in, messed up the glass and the motor for the windows.

I was slightly amazed at the repair bill, but I saw the base cost for the door and it was almost 80% of the bill, so I figure the bodyshop guy knows what he is doing.

Digital camera getting repaired, but as soon as it is back , I will post a few pixs into my photo gallery here.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#45]
You call the cops  and then if he repairs it no ticket. I was a witness in an accident just like yours. A friend  and I, fellow Federal LEO, saw a semi hit a woman's car. His company is saying it did not happen as they had no truck in that area. She was a nice lady and did not deserve his hit and run.
Do it the right way,  the LEO can seethe damage to both vehicles and tell if it is yours or their fault.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Gee Hielo, what a swell fellow. I guess surviving the horrors of concentration camps made you turn the other cheek...either that or you are STILL full of the brown gooey stuff.

Puh-lease, someone smashes your new Hummer and you shrug your shoulders. The bullshyt detector is screaming right now....
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#47]
SP10, As much as it would be fun to laugh you off, I guess I will just let you know that you are talking about my father, who died earlier this year, he did survive Nazi germany and made quite a life for himself here, thank you.

As to me, My father raised me to value some things over other, possesions like cars are way down low on my list.  Your car might be your entire life, but it just ain't so for me.

As to your snide attitude, it's your own problem, being unhappy in life that is.

As for me, happy as can be, and enjoying life to the fullest.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I see SP10 that you are in Upstate NY also, why not come on down to our spread and do some shooting, I can show you Dads stuff and you can maybe decide that being an asshole to people is just a waste of time.

Let me know.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#49]
hielo, OK, if what you say is true, I most definitely am sorry. Nothing like eating a little crow first thing in the morning. I lost my father a few years back, and we were also close. No fun at all.

The concentration camp thread was a bit controversial with some people, with a local NY LEO, I believe, hinting that your father was not being totally forthcoming. I noticed hielo stopped posting, pretty much after that thread blew up.

Recently hielo started posting again (you?). I guess I assumed that when you took over your dad's AR15 ID, you were one and the same. The profile looked pretty similar, name, etc., except for the age discrepancy.

Yes, I'm about 1.5-2 hours from the Elmira area, SW of Syracuse. If you are interested in the Syracuse gunshow, we could definitely meet there. I and a couple of friends (also AR15 board members) go to the show in the morning, grab lunch, and then go to my shooting range afterwards, near Otisco Lake.

Again, sorry about your dad and any resulting confusion. He sounded like quite a character. I definitely agreed with many of his comments.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#50]
No problem at all SP10, it is as much my fault as anyone elses, after he died, no one touched his things (computers) for a month or so, and when I went to move them to give my brother and sister I decided to answer his mail to let people know who was having an active dialouge with him what had happened, which led me to AR15.com, and of course I got hooked.

As to the Syracuse Gun Show, I am there, let me know what day you are going and I will make it the same.

I hope the syracuse show is better than the shows they have local to me, I am so sick of beanie babies and jerky....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top