Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2001 11:14:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#1]
[b]Do It!![/b]

As much as I dislike classes right now (Graduate Certificate in CIS) they will be worth it in the long run.  If you have any choices about the classes you take, try to take CS classes instead of CIS/MIS.  You'll have a better understanding of how something works instead of just knowing how to use it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#2]
you won't regret it! good luck!

"knowledge is the most powerful weapon"
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I know stuff yet I am still unemployed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I am agree with mtnpatriot. Do It!!!!

I finished my MBA in May of this year. It was a lot of work but I don't regret any of it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the same boat.  I had some previous college and military experience.  Went to the local Community College where they looked over my transcripts and DD214.  Got a 12 credit head start on finishing a degree.

Go for it!! Don't forget to check in to CLEP exams.  I borrowed a Biology book from a friend, read it twice, spent $40, sat down and took the test.  Voila! I scored 8 credits and avoided taking BIO101/102 and the labs.  Trying the same strategy with General Psychology this semester.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know stuff yet I am still unemployed.
View Quote

But do you have that piece of paper?  Unfortunately, most companies want that diploma AND experience.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Go for it!...And there is a plus side to that too....Those Community College Babes are Yummi! That bring back great memory.  I knew this girl on my Math class and she was also a nurse at a local hospital.  Boy! Oh boy! one night I forgot how many time we did it. She wouldn't let me breathe, rest or sleep. I think she was a nympho. The prettier they are, the crazier they will be in bed. No lie.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Go for a degree not a certificate program.  They're recognized by more employers and educational institutions and can be used as a foundation for other degrees later if you choose.

Going back to school myself in September... nursing.  90% girls...  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Higher education is a racket and it's darned difficult to work around it. [:(!]  You might as well go along to get along.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Go for it GS. It might be a pain in the ass for a while, but when its over, you skill will allow you to get a higher paying job which eqautes to more money for guns. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Go for it.  The time will pass by anyway, why not get something out of it besides being older and somewhat wider (I meant wider!) [:D] I did it, was a pain but I have the paper and the experience to back it up. Knowledge is about the only thing the guvmint can't take away from you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
It depends on your age and your future plans. If you plan to stay in your family business for the remainder of your career, you don't need a degree because you have no one to impress but yourself. You may be better off taking extension courses as this allows you to bypass the BS you probably don't need. If you are under 40 and think you may work outside your family business in the future, then it may be worth it. Depending on the position, you may need a degree to make the first cut with HR. But if you have an "in", you may not need it. However, some employers will use your lack of a degree is an excuse not to move you up and pay you more.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Higher education is a racket...
View Quote

Aint that the truth!!  The higher you get, the more BS you have to deal with.  Graduate school is mostly BS! I can't wait to finish. 4 1/2 months, 4 1/2 months, 4 1/2 months...
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#15]
My advice would be:  Take advantage or any and
all education that comes your way.  Formal classes
or not.  If you happen to stumble into a degree
sometime down the road, that is icing on the
cake.

Of course this advice ignores the real world,
but you did say you are going to stay in the
family business.

DanM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top