Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
6/21/2017 8:25:40 PM
Posted: 8/1/2001 9:02:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2001 8:59:37 PM EDT by xanadu]
This is a prime example why any husband or father has an in-alienable right to carry a firearm. The last time someone asked me if I had a CCW permit, I told then to read the second amendment. I carry when on vacation or long trips with my family. This makes me want to carry ALL the time. [b]Suspect Admits Two of Three Killings[/b] by HARRY R. WEBER Associated Press Writer WHITE RIVER JUNCTION, Vt. (AP) -- A man described as a master of disguise admitted killing three strangers during a weeklong crime spree, authorities said Wednesday. Gary Sampson is also accused of bank robbery and carjacking. Authorities said Sampson told them he killed Philip McCloskey, 69, a Taunton, Mass., retiree; Jonathan Rizzo, 19, a college student from Kingston, Mass.; and Robert Whitney, 58, a contractor and former city councilor in Concord, N.H. Sampson, 41, of Tamworth, N.H., waived extradition in a Vermont court Wednesday afternoon, then got in a police car to be taken to Massachusetts. ''He just wanted to go home and face the charges,'' said Kevin Griffin, Sampson's lawyer. ''He wanted to go today.'' Griffin declined to say if his client made admissions to police. Rizzo's body was found Tuesday night in Abington, Mass., based on information authorities said Sampson provided. A student at George Washington University in Washington, Rizzo was last seen Friday night at his restaurant job in Plymouth, Mass. His father, Michael Rizzo, said police told him his son tried to help Sampson on the side of the road. The teen-ager had been tied up and stabbed repeatedly. McCloskey's body was found stabbed and covered with leaves last week in Marshfield, Mass., about a half mile from where his car had been discovered two days earlier. Whitney was strangled, according to New Hampshire authorities. His body was found Monday in a lakefront home in Meredith. Police were summoned there when an unfamiliar car -- which turned out to be Rizzo's -- was spotted in the driveway. The killer confronted Whitney inside the home he was maintaining for its elderly owner. Authorities say none of the victims had any prior connection to Sampson. William Gregory of Clarendon, Vt., told police that Tuesday afternoon he picked up a hitchhiker who pulled a knife on him. Gregory jumped out of his car and was briefly chased by the hitchhiker, whom police identified as Sampson. ''He said he had killed people and robbed banks and he was just rambling on,'' Gregory said Wednesday. ''He said he was strung out on crack cocaine.'' Police arrested Sampson on Tuesday after he broke into a home in Plymouth, Vt., and called 911 to tell police he wanted to surrender. North Carolina authorities said Sampson is also wanted for robbing several banks in the Thomasville, N.C., area since May. Sampson used elaborate makeup techniques to alter his appearance for bank jobs, Davidson County Sheriff Gerald Hege told the Boston Herald. ''He lives with cross-dressers and transvestites,'' Hege said. ''He learned how to change his appearance. He made his nose wider, his cheekbones higher. When he comes out of the bank, he wipes it all off.''
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:11:36 PM EDT
I heard on the Discovery Channel the other night that there are (I can't remember the exact numbers used their estimate) less than fifty serial killers operating in the US at any particular time. Statistically speaking, I wouldn't worry about serial killers as much as a thief, rapist, or thug who's willing to use deadly force or the threat there of to accomplish his goal. Of course this doesn't change what you said about always packing. I feel naked without it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:16:43 PM EDT
I have more than the average 2.2 children, and the thought of someone lurking with bad intent because we appear to be an easier target because of the number of children with us raises the hackles on my neck. Thank God I've got Juggernaut as backup, gun or no gun, he's going to go down fighting just like his old man.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:28:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By xanadu: I have more than the average 2.2 children, and the thought of someone lurking with bad intent because we appear to be an easier target because of the number of children with us raises the hackles on my neck. Thank God I've got Juggernaut as backup, gun or no gun, he's going to go down fighting just like his old man.
View Quote
All together now- CCW AT AGE 18! CCW AT AGE 18! CCW AT AGE 18! CCW AT AGE 18! In all seriousness, having a lot of siblings makes you keep your eyes open, but what can you do with confirmed nutcases like the one above? They don't stand at a measured 25 yards waiting to be shot, and they don't "play fair"(whatever the heck fair play is for psychos, compared to, say, simple robbery), so why should we? Carry your sidearm, and watch yourself. It's like a seatbelt. You put it on, no matter how short the trip. If everybody did this(or was allowed to), these people would become so frustrated, they'd just have to shoot themselves to get their kicks-now wouldn't that be a shame. I hate stuff like this-frustrating as heck to know that these people are on the loose, and I can't do anything about it should I run into one or more of them. I don't have the guts to violate TN law by carrying concealed at age 18(in VT or MT this is legal), and only hope I don't regret it. Worse, I don't want my family to regret it either, as I feel resonsibility for their safety, as does my Dad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 2:27:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Juggernaut: I don't have the guts to violate TN law by carrying concealed at age 18(in VT or MT this is legal), and only hope I don't regret it.
View Quote
I carried illegally (the only way for non-cops/politicians/judges!) in Chicago for years. Nobody ever noticed. I just used very small FLAT firearms, obeyed every stupid traffic law and speed limit, didn't imbibe/consume/inhale/whatever anything that would impair my senses or alter my behavior, and didn't hang out with assholes who might drag me into trouble with them. A friend wasn't quite as careful; he used a fanny pack and a M1911. Still, he was in his sixties, and had carried at all times for pretty much his whole adult life, and was never caught at it. I mostly carried an American Derringer gun, but I didn't like it at all -- not reliable, and painful as hell to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 2:33:03 AM EDT
If only Canada had CCW, instead we have to use knives and you would probably get sued and put in prison for stabbing an attacker (its happened before).
Top Top