Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2001 6:26:51 AM EDT
Thanks GWB, I used my tax relief check to purchase a Rem 870 Express Magnum with synthetic stock and factory installed tube extension.  Just trying to do my part to keep the economy and my local gun shop going.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#1]
nice! i have the marine magnum version already, so i just got an IGA coach-gun, 18" dbl. bbl. 12 .ga. - just doin what GWB asked!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats - you'll love it.
Don't know what barrel length you got, but mine came with the 28". I ordered a Remington 20" cylinder bore barrel with rifle sight, and it kicks but. I don't leave home without it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had mine since '92 and love it. I've used it to shoot skeet, trap, duck, goose, pheasant, rabbit and almost everything under the sun and it has NEVER let me down. I eventually bought a 1187 Premier LC for skeet but that 870 still goes out into the filed with me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I also have the 870 Express. Takes 3" shells, is that the "magnum"? Bought it at K-Mart in the early '90s for just under $200. Came with a 28" barrel, bought a 20" with sights. Would like to get a Vang Comp with peep sights.

This shotgun pretty much does everything I need it to do. And I like it a lot better than my buddy's Winchester Defender.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the difference between an 870 Express and a plain 'ol 870.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the exact same shotgun. You won't regret it. One of the best IMO.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Where did y'all buy the 20" inch barrel with sights for the Remington 870, and how much did it cost?

It has been my experience that replacing the barrel is as expensive (or more so) than buying a whole new 870.  Any assistance will be appreciated, as I would like to have a shorter barrel for "defense" purposes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where did y'all buy the 20" inch barrel with sights for the Remington 870, and how much did it cost?

It has been my experience that replacing the barrel is as expensive (or more so) than buying a whole new 870.  Any assistance will be appreciated, as I would like to have a shorter barrel for "defense" purposes.
View Quote

I think Cabelas offers a Rem 870 18" cyl. bore replacement barrel for the Remington 870 for about $79.  It's actually made by Mossberg.

Try this link, and select the 18.5" cylinder bore barrel.

http://www.cabelas.com/texis-END Of Script Attempt-
s/store/+/PODDisplay/BuyIt/CabFALL1998/CabFALL1998AAAjAD/XA645J?SETCODE=212148
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Can`t beat them 870`s!........[:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The 20" barrel I bought went for about $115, mail order from Midway or a similar source. The cost of the shotgun was $199 at K-Mart about two years earlier. The barrel had rifle sights, and came with two screw in choke tubes: rifled and cylinder bore. It was Remington manufacture.

I've seen the Mossberg for quite a bit less, but I wanted the sights and the screw in choke. Now I tend to want the Vang Comp.

Of course, you could just check out gun shows, the internet, e-bay, etc., and find a cheap 870 barrel and cut it to length.

The Express uses cheap hardwood stocks instead of fine American walnut stocks, and I believe it is parkerized instead of a nice rich blue (it has a flat black appearance). My 20" replacement barrel is blued, but even so it doesn't look too bad on the Express . . .
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#11]
My new purchase has a synthetic stock, a factory  magazine extender and what appears to be an 18" barrel.  The magazine sticks out about 1/2" further than the barrel. I hope I can take it out this weekend and test it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Great gun.  I got the 28" bird barrel with changable chokes and a 21" deer barrel for my home defense purposes.  I have shot it with clay pigeons and it was good.  I have the 21" barrel rigged with a mag extention for 8 slugs or buck shot rounds.  Serious business.

Link Posted: 8/1/2001 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Tailgate -

My 20" barrel, cylinder bore with rifle sights was purchased from Cabella's. It isn't one of the Mossberg barrels made for 870's, it's a REMINGTON barrel. It was expensive, though - I paid $130.00 for it last August. Finish is matt - it matches the 870 Express' finish. No regrets...
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, that's the problem.  The new barrels with sites are about $130 ON THE CHEAP SIDE (I would never buy Mossberg).  I paid $150 for my Express at a pawn shop.

Funny story...they were trying to sell it for $450.  Of course, this was the parkerized version with cheap wood stocks that was worth half that new.  I looked at it and realized it had been used maybe once or twice at the range, and not much more.  However, they hadn't cleaned the shotgun and it had been sitting and accumulating a brown haze.  Not only that, but the stock was "loose."  I told the guy that the stock was busted and that it was rusting and took it for $150.

Rust?  Naw, just rubbed it with 000 steel wool and PRESTO...clean as new.  Tightened the stock with half a turn of the screwdriver.  Cleaned the receiver and bore...like new.  Decent deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top