Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 7/31/2001 7:12:51 PM EDT
Watching Nash Bridges, and it opens up with a guy shooting a Barrett at people in a courtyard. It takes place in San Francisco, so I got a couple of questions. 1. How hard is it to get a .50BMG semi-auto rifle? 2. He was shooting, and they said he left 13 cases, but I never saw him reload, and it looked like the standard ten rounder, so does anybody know where I can get some preban mags? 3. Is this show just more hollywood crap, or is it decent, cause I like most of it, and maybe I am just paranoid anymore about more disinformation from the communist actor's club. Thanks guys, Ice
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:18:30 PM EDT
I saw the opening as well. Those people were not reacting properly for being hit by a .50. There would be blood and guts all over the place. Not hard to get one legally, but expensive as hell. More Hollywood crap. Very disappointed in Don Johnson. Show turned out to be about a 'gun nut, racist militia'. Go figure. No one has ever done this with a .50 in this country, but they make an episode to show how evil it is.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:22:36 PM EDT
Thanks Larry, Sorry to hear it gets worse. I should have mentioned that I was wondering about how hard it is to acquire in California. I ain't from there and am not trolling, just curious. My local dealer wants lots of money, but he can get me one and I don't have to fill out lots of forms, so here it is easier than buying a handgun. Thanks, Ice
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:57:56 PM EDT
The Barrett semi-autos are banned in CA. I gather they didn't point that out in the show.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 8:09:18 PM EDT
They overlooked that point. I am suprised they didn't throw in that he bought it at the local gunstore or Wal Mart. Anybody know if there are hi-cap mags for it available. Ought to buy a couple and then when I get my pennies saved I got em for it. Thanks, Ice
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 8:23:10 PM EDT
I've never heard of high cap mags for it. Another semiauto you might want to check out is the belt fed Browning M2, reworked for semiauto only. A little cheaper and legal in all 50 states, but, alot heavier and less accurate than the Barrett. [url] www.tnwfirearms.com [/url]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 8:48:06 PM EDT
Hey Matt, That is the sweetest thing I have seen all day. I sat at my computer for a full two minutes doing my best Beavis impersonation: Heh heh heh heh heh, with eyes glazed over. I got to get me a third job. Ice
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:10:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:12:31 PM EDT
I like to watch Nash Bridges for only three reasons, when they do show guns in the show they usually do a good job of using neat shit, when they show cars in the show they usually show nice classic cars and nice bikes, and then the women! Yasmeen Bleeth is just a hotty if you're watching the older shows, and then the character that plays Nash's daughter is just HOT AS FREAKING HELL! But I can watch the show on mute if I have to because that way I can filter out the gun propaganda.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:56:55 PM EDT
Troy, did they auction off just one of the Cuda's? Last year I was driving through the Richmond District and I counted about eight of them while they were filming. As they are replica's to begin with and with that many on auction, that may account for the price. Though it seems like a good price even for a replica. Wonder if they had 318s in them. I saw that episode when it came out. Only episode I have ever seen (hooked by the intro) and after watching the whole thing couldn't stomach another one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:30:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:34:36 PM EDT
Troy- A real hemi Cuda convertible would go for around a hundred grand. Damn, I shoulda gone to this auction. [>(]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:26:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:14:05 AM EDT
I always enjoyed "Nash Bridges" for what it was: TV entertainment. Don Johnson's character seemed like a redo of his "Miami Vice" one, and he played well opposite Cheech Marin. It seems like you've almost got to expect TV shows to be pretty off base when it comes to guns; I don't think they have the budgets or time to contract/consult with the right people on these matters, and it shows--but, unfortunately, 90-percent of the viewers will never know the difference. Just my two cents. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 1:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2001 2:25:39 PM EDT by Ulysse_Nardin_1846]
I think the early Barrett mags were 11-rds. 11(mag) + 1(chamber) Where's the 13th rnd? Is that you "magic bullet" from JFK's head?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:09:50 PM EDT
MadMatt, I can't find anything in the California Dangerous Weapons Control Law that bans the Barrett. What is your reference. Thanks, Rich
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:55:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ratters: Troy- A real hemi Cuda convertible would go for around a hundred grand. Damn, I shoulda gone to this auction. [>(]
View Quote
Checkout the SF Chronicle from Monday(?) it had an article on the Nash auction. The 'Cuda sold was supposedly the worst of the eight that they used during filming, something about after taking a hard landing during filming of a stunt, it never drove right again. Oh yeah, the barge that they used for their HQ, is moored at TI, see it every morning on my way to work...
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 3:14:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EOD_Guy: MadMatt, I can't find anything in the California Dangerous Weapons Control Law that bans the Barrett. What is your reference. Thanks, Rich
View Quote
Don't worry, if the past is any indication...
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2001 6:31:43 PM EDT by Troy]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:00:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Troy: The Barrett M82 is a semi-auto that accepts detachable magazines and has a pistol grip (yes, the "thumbhole" counts as a pistol grip under PRK guidelines). SB23 bans it. -Troy
View Quote
Yep. I didn't have an interest in .50s until it was too late to get one of these.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:06:31 PM EDT
I don't know why nobody's said anything yet, but if you're in a militia, it's pretty easy to get whatever you want. In California, semi-autos are illegal, but I could almost give a guarantee that 75% of the California population have a semi-auto pistol of some sort. Just figured I'd say it. Nash Bridges is a decent show, even if others say it isn't. I've seen darn near every episode, and it's not bad at all. Just a little misinformed is all. Mikie
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:19:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mikie: In California, semi-autos are illegal, but I could almost give a guarantee that 75% of the California population have a semi-auto pistol of some sort. Mikie
View Quote
The law in question bans rifles with pistol grips and detachable mags, as well as certain types of pistols and shotguns. It does not cover typical semiauto pistols.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:12:33 AM EDT
MadMatt, Thanks. I thought you were talking about a total ban, not the SB23 features. Rich
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:03:22 AM EDT
The show was alright, except for that one part...
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:52:31 PM EDT
Nash was ok most of the time. I just never could get used to seeing Cheech with a gun. Just didnt fit my mental image of him for some reason. I will say his gun handling got better over the years. The first year or so he looked like he was scared to death of it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:17:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gopher: Nash was ok most of the time. I just never could get used to seeing Cheech with a gun. Just didnt fit my mental image of him for some reason. I will say his gun handling got better over the years. The first year or so he looked like he was scared to death of it.
View Quote
Me too. For some reason I just couldn't get into it and it must have been that damm pot smoking Cheech with a gun. Cheech should have stuck to those Quentin Tarantino movies. At least he fit in. His father on the show could have been removed as well. What a waste of time. Did anyone see the episodes with "Tubbs" from Miami Vice? Those were good. They should have killed off Cheech and brought back "Tubbs". Just like old times!
Top Top