Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I know that a lot of you probably hate/dislike Eminem - but I love his music - I love the way people react to it without giving him (or other talented artists) a chance.

Tyler[/quote]

I hate Eminem I think he should shut his talentless mouth.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
but mostly did it for the girls and my own interest in music. We used to have massive dj wars. We have someone running a Roland backbeat and we'd just start stacking beats and rippin cuts. I've still got tapes.
View Quote

Mostly did it for the chick too.

Went to a battle once in Oakland CA. Back when Uncle Jams Army was starting to get big. The Egyptian lover was there. I got tore up in that battle. Cameron Paul, who is kinda of a staple in the S.F. bay area, took that one hands down. Pissed of Uncle Jams Army crew. He was spinnin 5 tables by himself. Dude was awesome. My crew had 4 table with me and my buddy working it. Out of 10 I think we placed like 8 or 9th. Competition is fierce now in the bay area. They have this guy I went to H.S. with that is pretty huge there now, he goes by DJ QBert. Qbert was the name we gave him in H.S. cause he looked like the character from the game.

Wish I would've kept on it. Lots of money to be made. Take Jelly Bean Benitez, he made a ton and got noticed by mixing Madonna's early stuff. Now he moved on to producing. Maybe you oughta start looking into that since you're bored.
View Quote

Dj Qbert, Dj appolo, And mix master mike took the world championships in the early 90's. All SF natives. Its was funny when Qbert was still with lifestyles everyone made fun of him. Then he bacame a world champion DJ. Now Qbert has his own cartoon show I think on the comedy channel. The voices and sound effects are done with scratches and tricks. Did you ever go to Imagine parties? I new alot of dj groups back in the day. Did you do club mirage? city nights? Damn I probably seen you before. I also went to Riordan High from 87 to 90...
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Dj Qbert, Dj appolo, And mix master mike took the world championships in the early 90's. All SF natives. Its was funny when Qbert was still with lifestyles everyone made fun of him. Then he bacame a world champion DJ. Now Qbert has his own cartoon show I think on the comedy channel. The voices and sound effects are done with scratches and tricks. Did you ever go to Imagine parties? I new alot of dj groups back in the day. Did you do club mirage? city nights? Damn I probably seen you before. I also went to Riordan High from 87 to 90...
View Quote

Dude I use to hang at City Nights back in the day. Club X before it turned gay. There was also Daz Club that was like 4 blocks from my house on Harrison between 3 and 4th if I remember correctly. I DJ'd at Wolfgangs on weds and thurs nights before it burned down, its a different name now I forget what it is. This was back befor SoMa was hip. I graduated Balboa in 86. I was gonna go to Riordan but I begged my dad no more priv all boys schools I needed chicks in the classroom or I was gonna turn gay. Needless to say I won the argument. Riordan guys were always a competion for those Mercy H.S. chicks(mercy hs is a catholic school for girls in S.F.) I went to Bal with Qbert. He was a sophmore when I was a Senior. We were even in the JROTC drill team together.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A different perspective on this. Here's the reason I enjoy some rap/hip-hop.

First let's define what I mean by rap/hip-hop. Real hip-hop to me is Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Common, Eric B and Rakim, etc (those who know will follow with the rest).

Alot of the shit out now is money, cars, ho(s), bullshit. Those examples are examples of the current paradigm--style over substance, etc. That is not TRUE hip-hop.

True hip-hop is the stuff with something to say about the current state of our society and the resistance to the over-whelming spiritless-ness of it.

The guiding force of our current society is the forces who oppose Creator and the societal behaviors that flow from that. True Hip-Hop expresses a displeasure of that, and a resistance to it, and therefor an obedience to self-reliance, unity, and Creator.

Many (and I'm not saying all) of the voices I hear in opposition to hip-hop as I have defined it really have at their core an opposition to the color/race of the artists bringing you the hip-hop.

View Quote

Bullshit.  Big f$$king piles of it.  What a load of self indulgent horse crap.  There is [i]nothing[/i] redeeming about rap.  It is the embodiment of being an extension of the problem, not the a part of the solution.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey lordtrader what was the name of your DJ group? Did you have a nick name? if you don't mind me asking...I also hung around a dj group. But I was the one carrying the records in them milk crates. Them cerwin vega speakers were so heavy. But it was my chance to get into parties for free. =)
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey lordtrader what was the name of your DJ group? Did you have a nick name? if you don't mind me asking...I also hung around a dj group. But I was the one carrying the records in them milk crates. Them cerwin vega speakers were so heavy. But it was my chance to get into parties for free. =)
View Quote

Dude just sent you an e-mail.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I can tolerate some of the Beastie Boys and
Kid Rock.  The majority just blows and makes me nuts, especially when I am trying to get a good nights sleep and some hole has to drive by in his ghetto glider blastin this sh1t.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The SteyrAUG Tactical Breakdance Crew:

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/p5c8375a739a4a74ef5b8cf4a873fb7a5/fe520cf6.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]

1983 cranking out the flairs. Kurt Thomas had NOTHING on me.

More rare vinyl for LT:

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/pe68ef2ea9966b7b2cc7516e31df640ee/fe520e90.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]

Unknown DJ - Let's Jam, Uncle Jamms Army - Dial A Freak, 2 Live Crew - Revelations, Jamie Jupiter - Computer Power, 2 Live Crew - Ghetto Bass & Trow The D and Ice-T - Killers.

Link Posted: 7/31/2001 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Steyr, is that a dojo/kwoon youre doing break dancing in? That is too funny and scary cause that was about 15yrs ago for me. I would probably dislocate something if I tried that. I was more of a pop locker anyways. My crew, The Bay City Breakers, did the intermission for the SF Ballet once. It was my own 15mins of fame.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]
That was a room in my parents house that I emptied for training purposes....breakin/martial arts, etc. That is why the kata posters are up.

Btw, we always felt poppers/lockers were just guys who didn't have the courage to break.[:P]

Link Posted: 7/31/2001 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know that a lot of you probably hate/dislike Eminem - but I love his music - I love the way people react to it without giving him (or other talented artists) a chance.

Tyler

I hate Eminem I think he should shut his talentless mouth.
View Quote

That's fine - you can hate him if you want.  [;D]

Tyler
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top