Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2001 11:36:06 AM EDT
Any help on this is appreciated.

Been searching on the Web and can't locate an appropriate material.
I am putting together a Bellows and need it to be period correct for the 18th C. Someone mentioned a Marine (Ocean) Grade Canvas but can't find that either.

The canvas has to be heavy enough that it does not leak air thru the material.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#1]
These people have heavyweight marine canvas. Some of it is very tight weave.  I think that you are still going to need to grease the cloth or coat it or something, and I suspect that you could find suitable cloth at your local fabric store.  Leather bellows material is also another option.  

The Rain Shed
707 NW 11th
Corvallis, OR

(541) 753-8900
(541) 757-1887 fax

http://www.therainshed.com  

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
So does the thread title mean if I can't help you find some heavyweight cotton you are going to take a swing at me? Well, I ain't gonna duck...

Michael
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Ustulina,
Thanks for the info. I am not going the leather route because of expense. This Bellows is for Demo's. This seems to be more of a specialty fabric.

Ponyboy,
That is funny. Didn't read it that way till you pointed it out. Just send me the bill? [;)] Ok, bad pun attempt.

Garand_shooter,
Going there now. BTW, it isn't green in color is it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
re leather, Moscow Hide and Fur in Moscow, ID used to sell some pretty supple elkskin, and I suppose that they sell deerskin.  Since we were poor students back then, I think that the prices couldn't have been that bad.  I don't think you're going to spend more than $10 for leather unless you've got one big bellows rigged up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I was looking at prices in the range of 50 to 100.00. Horsehide is supposed to last the longest, even better than steerhide.
The bellows is about 3'x5'.

This Bellows is just for Demos. I want to make a large one for the forge later on and will spring for leather in that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top