Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 7/30/2001 2:00:10 AM EDT
This is a first for me, thought I should start building my own. Any advise would really help. By the way, I already pulled up that web site and have the basics. [>]:)] Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:08:18 AM EDT
Yah, Try posting this in the Build it yourself forum...
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:35:39 AM EDT
Yah scarecrow, I can read. I posted this here because more people read this forum.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:19:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:40:47 AM EDT
Mkae sure all the little holes are clear of grit w/ the appropriate size drill bit. Just take the bit BY HAND and clean the shit out. Also get your self a speaker magnet. Small parts are hard enough to find on a dark carpet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:49:21 AM EDT
Are you talking about assembling parts to a complete lower or finishing an 80% lower? Norm
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:55:06 AM EDT
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES! Why? Because there are two *little bitty* detents that have to be loaded on a spring...if you slip, they FLY LIKE THE WIND (hence the earler post about a speaker magnet for dragging the carpet). Be especially careful with the spring and detent on the stock assembly. I also recommend getting a small punch and a leather or plastic/rubber mallet. The punch will be used only about 3 or 4 times, but worth every cent (only cost about $3-5 at Home Depot). The small leather or plastic mallet will prevent you from scratching your receiver.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:03:34 AM EDT
Depending on what type of lower receiver and lower internals you are using, there is a small problem that I have encountered twice. Once was with an OlyArms lower and the other was with a Bushmaster I believe. The bolt release fit in just a little bit tight, but it was tight enough to not let the magazine engage it when it was empty. Both times I just took BreakFree and oiled it very well and worked it back and forth for a little bit while I was watching TV. No problems after that. Just a little pre-break in breaking in I guess. Im not sure if it was a problem with that area of the lowers being too tight or the actual part being just a little bit too big, but in any case they both work perfectly now. Its really not that hard of a task and I have put several of them together. In fact, I would actually rather put my own together then buy them assembled, its more fun that way. Michael
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:55:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2001 8:54:16 AM EDT by iNuhBaDNayburhood]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:12:08 AM EDT
Thanks guys for the tips, I really appreciate it! It's a BM lower I picked up at my local shop for 120$, and it's new! They had a few more I think i'll take off their hands with my tax relief cash.[:d] If it's half as entertaining that think it will be, this could get dangerous! I'll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 8:42:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2001 8:41:04 AM EDT by dragracerart]
The detent and spring for the front pivot pin is the one that always gives me trouble... Usually flies across the room 2 or 3 times 'til I get the pin in. [:)] Also good advice (like previosly noted)...Check all the blind holes with a small drill bit. I've had a few with sand and grit in them...
Top Top