Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2001 6:28:52 PM EDT
why cant you pay cash and just get on a plane no questions asked? interstate anyway. I understand why international travel, has to be this way.

linking you to your luggage? use a number.

trying to stop criminals from moving about the country? trying to stop criminals from disturbing the flight? Are either of those really valid enough reasons to try and watch everyone as a whole?

Next of kin notification type thing in case it goes down? why not opt out? I'm sure someone in your family would know already you were flying, and if they didn't you probably have all the more reason to not tell a bunch of strangers.

So why is it? I realize there are ways around all of it, but thats for people with money and a "reason"*. I'm concerned about the little people like me who don't have a reason to hide from anyone, but do not exactly like the idea that everyone get data collected from them.

Edited to add:
*not that has to be a bad one, but probably usually is. Remember, the public is *supposed* to be trusted as a whole.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know (and I could be wrong - this is one area of law in which I am completely clueless) there is no law requiring airlines to collect info on who is on what plane and where they're flying.  I think they just do it as a matter of company policy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
So they make sure it's really you using all those frequent flyer miles.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, you don't have to show ID. When they ask you for ID just say you don't have any. They'll bitch and moan and maybe walk you to the gate, but you'll still fly.

More people should do this.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Eric,

Hell, you listed good reasons for it.  Let me ask, "why not"?  Who cares?  This is a private carrier service and if they want to know who they are serving it is up to them.  

James
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hell, you listed good reasons for it.  Let me ask, "why not"?  Who cares?  This is a private carrier service and if they want to know who they are serving it is up to them.  
James
View Quote

Exactly. I don't have any reason not to tell them, and personally it doesn't bother me that they ask me, it's when I think about the fact they do it to everyone. Maybe if we all just quit blindly accepting things that have no reason or logic nah....can't slow down for anything, can't question why, can't argue about it. we are pretty much conditioned the way they want us, they've all just got to wait for the oldest 2 or 3 generations to die off and the weak and obediant will bow to every control, put on them by anyone.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to Capitolism. Not that I'm against it! Every big corporation wants your personal info, and now a days all they need is your name and date of birth or any of your state supplied catalog numbers (SSN, DL, etc.). I hear the Government likes to keep tabs on you too! In  America, YOU are an open book. Unless you live in a small cabin out away from people - in that case you become an open book only when you get caught doing something that brings attention to yourself (blowing things/people up, brandishing weapons while wearing camo clothes, etc.). Then you become the 'oft sought after, soon to be endangered "Survivalist" OOOOH   AAAAAH. All of a sudden you get visitors.
BTW this is not meant to be crass humor  directed at the recent LEO/Civilian killings here in California. I'm sorry anyone wound up dead in that case.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I dont mind telling them.  Its their company and if you don't wanna tell them they have the right to refuse you service.  Last I checked there was no law stating that they must allow you to fly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I dont mind telling them.  Its their company and if you don't wanna tell them they have the right to refuse you service.  Last I checked there was no law stating that they must allow you to fly.
View Quote

no law either that says wal-mart has to sell you ammo without taking id and logging a name and address. Ready for that? It's not a big problem itself, but part of a growing one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy your own jet and you won't have to tell anybody who you are when you get on. You can take all of the carry on luggage you want also....

Michael
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#13]
THEY, are watching and tracking every move. You can't win, LOL [smoke]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#15]
So they know what to put on the body bag and who to notify.  Also, they need to have names of those that are going to sue thier a$$ when they crash.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#16]
You can anonymously....just use your other I.D.  [smoke]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#17]
This is a topic that I know about.

The ID is because the airlines like to have each piece of luggage on the aircraft accounted for.  It is a security issue.  Also they like to have an accurate manifest of passengers in case of a problem.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top