Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2001 6:08:41 PM EDT
My (relatively) new Springfield SAR8 is acting up.

When I pull back the charging handle and release it the bolt goes all the way forward, but the bolt carrier does not.  It hangs back about a quarter of a inch.  If a push it forward with my finger it will slide fully forward and lock in the battery position.  The rifle will then fire, but it will hang up again.

It will do this regardless of having a magazine is inserted, or if the mag is empty or not.

I believe that I've cleaned it well, and the rifle has less than 50 rounds through it, total.

Could the return spring be at fault?  Or the bolt carrier?

Any ideas or suggestions, please.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
call Springfield armory for a return number & send it back. yes they honor their lifetime warranty.   I did as my sar8 seamed to have the cocking tube & or barrel out of time. Less then a 3 week turn around time and now it runs like a dream[:D]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My (relatively) new Springfield SAR8 is acting up.

When I pull back the charging handle and release it the bolt goes all the way forward, but the bolt carrier does not.  It hangs back about a quarter of a inch.  If a push it forward with my finger it will slide fully forward and lock in the battery position.  The rifle will then fire, but it will hang up again.

It will do this regardless of having a magazine is inserted, or if the mag is empty or not.

I believe that I've cleaned it well, and the rifle has less than 50 rounds through it, total.

Could the return spring be at fault?  Or the bolt carrier?

Any ideas or suggestions, please.
View Quote

Your problem is exactly this.

The NEW Springfield SAR-8 is NOT a new gun. Springfield gets NEW Federal Arms receivers and some other parts such as semi auto hammers and sears. But the bulk of the gun is a VERY USED G3 part kit in fair-good condition before assembly and refinish. They, in a word SUCK.

Now the OLD SAR-8 was a new gun. They were in fact HK contract Hellenic Arms rifles imported from Greece. Springfield did not make any part of them, they were only the importer. But these were great guns.

In your case, Springfield only put the name on the gun too. They did not build or finish them. Parts are Fedaral Arms, G3 surplus kit and assembled by Century Arms. Springfield only markets and sells them. They are NO BETTER than the Centurion 99. I'm sorry.

As a result, faults poor assembly or just worn out parts are common. The only good thing about having purchaded it from Springfield is the limited warranty. The Centurion 99 despite being the same gun(except for markings)is not backed by a comapny as reputable as Springfield. So send it back and make THEM fix it.

Then sell it and build a real gun using a NEW HK kit and a FMP receiver.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My friend had a problem with his and sent it back to be repaired. When he got it back there was a new problem ( I think the barrel/front sight or something). They ended up letting him return the rifle for a full refund. Great customer service. I'd call them and see what they say.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Pepper why dont you get the real thing?  With the POS rifles you get what you pay for.  I have seen transitional 99%-NIB SAR8s for less than $1200. A full blown HK in 85-90% for $1650. Vollmer just sold one for that price. You could get it refinished and would still have a better gun.  Wait till you want to sell one of those POS guns. You wont get much back if the buyer knows anything. The preban prices seem to have come down a bit.  Now some of the good smiths like Jim at Protech do an amazing job with these kits but they have HUGE backlog.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top