Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2001 8:04:23 AM EDT
Reloading Hirtenberger surplus .308 after firing in my Savage FP10. A large number of these cases were hard to extract on firing the first time and will not fit my wilson head-space and OAL guage before sizing. That means that I have to FL size and not neck size to reload. Some seem to do the same thing on second firing after resizing and trimming. Is the brass too soft? Do I need to FL size with a small base die to move the shoulder back a few thousands because the Lee sizer is closer to minimum head-space(less brass working) than some? I also dropped the powder 2 full grains in some re-loads to see if my near-max loads were blowing out a too soft brass(I am yet to fire them. Please! Any ideas on what is happening cause the Talon mixed Lake city and Tz(Israeli?} brass works fine!
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 9:27:12 AM EDT
Hello Loader, I noticed the same thing. I have a DSA FAL STG58 and it runs on any ammo at the same gas setting. With Hirtenburger rounds I have to turn the gas way up or I start to get failures. Stovepipe and failure to fully eject mostly. I thought it was my rifle and not the ammo because usually Hirtenburger is pretty good stuff. Also have you noticed that the butllets themselves are stell jacketed with a copper wash. Not a real copper jacket. I dont think that has anything to do with the case problems.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 1:04:13 PM EDT
DO you mean we are shooting our barrels out mich faster with Hirtenberger .308 and steel jackets? Man, I hope not since thats the only accurate .308 I own! Thanks, I will check it out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 1:25:48 PM EDT
Loader, put a magnent to them and the magnet will stick. The range master said that Hirtenburger have a mild steel jacket. It has a copper wash to help them not damage barrels. It was pisser because he wouldnt let me shoot them against his back stop. I did sneak a few in and what do you know. MUCH more sparks than the regular generic winchester.308s that I was shooting. Also the damn this stovepiped, until I increased the gas.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:10:27 PM EDT
Not all Hirt. has copper-washed steel jackets. The Hirt with red sealer around the primers is all copper jacketed lead. Green sealer is the magnetic stuff.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:06:19 AM EDT
I have been shooting radway green. The british stuff and I have had no problems. The stuff is accurate and clean. Not expensive either. I get 400 round can for 75 dollars and that includes tax. I think 1000 rounds are 140 plus tax.
Top Top